• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Staple Tear

5 posts in this topic

Had a book come back an 8.5 with the following notes:

light finger bends front cover
small staple tear top of spine

How much would a small staple tear generally take off a grade?  Assuming that the bends are not color breaking, wondering if pressing and resubmitting is worth it.

The better way to phrase your question would be "what is the best grade a book could receive with a small staple tear?"

The problem answering is that a small staple staple tear might be 1/16", 1/8", 1/4".  Small isn't very descriptive.  It is also a mistake to conclude that the grading notes represent every possible flaw a book has. The grading notes are the flaws that the graders took the time to list. 

I've sent in books with a "small" staple tear and seen grades as high as 9.2.  In the past, people on these forums have posted up pictures of 9.8's and 9.6's with noticeable staple tears. But there has been much discussion that those tears probably occurred AFTER said books were encapsulated from the book being jostled around by handling and shipping  (the so called Shaken Comic Syndrome) 

If the staple tear is no more than say 1/8" and the finger bends don't break color, pressing and resubbing might get a better grade. There are never any guarantees though. 

3 minutes ago, Tony S said:

The better way to phrase your question would be "what is the best grade a book could receive with a small staple tear?"

The problem answering is that a small staple staple tear might be 1/16", 1/8", 1/4".  Small isn't very descriptive.  It is also a mistake to conclude that the grading notes represent every possible flaw a book has. The grading notes are the flaws that the graders took the time to list. 

I've sent in books with a "small" staple tear and seen grades as high as 9.2.  In the past, people on these forums have posted up pictures of 9.8's and 9.6's with noticeable staple tears. But there has been much discussion that those tears probably occurred AFTER said books were encapsulated from the book being jostled around by handling and shipping  (the so called Shaken Comic Syndrome) 

If the staple tear is no more than say 1/8" and the finger bends don't break color, pressing and resubbing might get a better grade. There are never any guarantees though. 

Thanks!

On 9/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, Drbearsec said:

Had a book come back an 8.5 with the following notes:

light finger bends front cover
small staple tear top of spine

How much would a small staple tear generally take off a grade?  Assuming that the bends are not color breaking, wondering if pressing and resubmitting is worth it.

Depending on the location of the staple, I would be concerned about pressing as it may make the staple tear worse. That's the bad thing about a tear, it can only get bigger. Without a pic, I am assuming the staple is not on the vertex. Personally, I would not risk it but you really didn't give us much info here. A pic would help.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Depending on the location of the staple, I would be concerned about pressing as it may make the staple tear worse. That's the bad thing about a tear, it can only get bigger. Without a pic, I am assuming the staple is not on the vertex. Personally, I would not risk it but you really didn't give us much info here. A pic would help.

Don't have it back yet, just saw it on the submissions.   I'll post it back up after I actually get it back but yeah... that's a good point on the tear and pressing.  I might just decide to keep as is.