• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underrated artist Mario Gully (ANT)

6 posts in this topic

Several weeks ago I posted about the appreciation for the art of Michael Turner. I started down a rabbit hole to find some Turner original art and I came across Mario Gully and his creation "Ant". This work had gone unnoticed by me in the early 00's. The artist, Mario Gully, created the character Ant while serving time in prison. It was first published by Arcana and then later moved to Image. Below is a modest piece I picked up (sorry for the glare), below are some great additional OA that have made it onto my growing wish list. I dig his stuff, not sure what he has been up to lately. It always amazes me these flash in the pan artist that are here and gone.

What I got:

199648377_cxvgsdxsdd(2).jpg.41ccfcbf84d3efec209f01a7146c4cb7.jpg

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Others I want.

ANT5cover.jpg.01b0c4d9760d9b7a31174b43b6c93a11.jpg

I used to own this one years ago, bought directly from Mario and his wife around 2006. I used to collect the McFarlane Spider-man homage covers and this was one of a few I used to have. I sold it on eBay about 6 years ago to someone with user ID of "bladehush". It's possible that it has changed hands again after I sold it in Sept 2012, so it may have made the rounds and gone through Malvin's hands too.

Mario is active on FB as Original Mario Gully OMG. https://www.facebook.com/mario.gully?fb_dtsg_ag=AdxUVS7dTnOcb_tr_YfhUC9i6iqIBpq99YHUZBnFciGMLw%3AAdwiTXOGpO5rso9pHtpGtMtll-Ozgv6ToNRJ4ZsAnZlvPg 

He still works in independent comics but sold the rights to Ant to Erik Larsen after the Image run.