• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA October Illustration Art Auction

19 posts in this topic

Just noticed what I think will be the highlight for many to watch the auction: Ralph McQuarrie original Star Wars concept art with X-Wing and Y-Wings galore, oh my:

19138908%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/illustration-art/ralph-angus-mcquarrie-american-1929-2012-y-wing-fighters-in-the-rebel-hangar-star-wars-movie-concept-art/p/5343-54001.s

Given estimate is $100,000-150,000.

Crickets. I always liked the Illustration auctions for the eclectic mix of styles and subjects depicted throughout. 

That said, I always found McQuarrie's art to look rather dead. Given bare scribbles can get mid to high 4 figures I suspect the estimate is well researched here. I also find most of his work falls into the "Uncanny Valley" of my Star Wars eyes.  Still should be fund to watch. 

Edited by cstojano

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

very good point

Oh yeah, right! 

One of the best auction catalogues I kept was the Playboy auction at Bonham's.  Always thought it was just the tip of the iceberg, but there was no follow up, alas. 

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

The Vargas paintings and lithographs came from the San Francisco Art Exchange.   SFAE had a large Vargas exhibit in 1985.  I bought a piece but had to sell it in 1988 to landscape my then new house.  I was able to triple my Vargas investment.in three years.

The San Francisco Art Exchange was selling the Vargas art for the family. 

According to a friend (who I think is a boardee) SFAE is reporting a monster Illo sale.    As in, enormous.   Via their mailing list this morning.    I’ll wait in case he posts it

Edited by Bronty

55 minutes ago, Bronty said:

According to a friend (who I think is a boardee) SFAE is reporting a monster Illo sale.    As in, enormous.   Via their mailing list this morning.    I’ll wait in case he posts it

The Wall? I saw that in my feed this morning, wasn't sure if that was a recent sale or not.

Right, the Wall @1,850,000 . 

Big enough number that you think they’d do more publicity than the simple mail out they did.

we are talking way more than any comic art, movie art, record art, etc has sold for to my knowledge.   Probably more than any illustration created in the last half of the 20th century has sold for?    Huge price, assuming all is as reported

The other significant aspect is that the art is from the artists collection, meaning a huge payday for a living by illustrator the likes of which I don’t think we’ve seen for a single piece