• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash 1940-1949
1 1

138 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Its amazing to see these from your personal collection Mr. Bedrock!!! I had a feeling you were a Flash fan. My best GA Flashes were bought from Bedrock City (thumbsu

Thanks and thanks! Great to see you posting here.

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Love that one Ritchie, might be my favorite Flash cover. So much action and pending doom.

I love all of the colors in the water.

I'm so glad to see this thread catching on! I have only 7 of these gems, so I will mostly be a spectator, just so happy to see all of your wonderful books! This year I will be sending mine in one by one to finally get them graded. It will be nice to know that they will be added to the census. Gerber guessed in the late 80's that probably only about 1% of all GA books survived. Do you think that's true? With print runs of Flash running about 100,000-200,000 a month in the 40's, that would mean that there are only about 1-2000 of each Flash issue left in existence? Do we know anymore now? I was out of the loop for many years.

Flash Comics 69.jpg

Edited by flashlites

29 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Gerber guessed in the late 80's that probably only about 1% of all GA books survived. Do you think that's true? With print runs of Flash running about 100,000-200,000 a month in the 40's, that would mean that there are only about 1-2000 of each Flash issue left in existence?

I think that number may be high. My guess is that the average number of existing copies for each issue of Flash would be in the 500 range, some higher, some a bit lower.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I think that number may be high. My guess is that the average number of existing copies for each issue of Flash would be in the 500 range, some higher, some a bit lower.

Wow, that's even fewer than I imagined! That makes each book pretty special!

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

A beauty from the Van Buren collection! The book not the girl; I don't know what Van Buren collected!!

tn_AllFlash25.jpg.cc7fbf161f1bb8bd190e900bbf973cb2.jpg

Easily, my favorite All Flash and one I’ve yet to land. I love the fact that none of his stupid side kicks wern’t featured on the cover. Really speaks of the era.

I have never seen a Van Buren book or seen one advertised for sale. I see no markings either. Other than train of ownership is there any way to tell? Interesting, and a bit tragic story behind it.

24 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Easily, my favorite All Flash and one I’ve yet to land. I love the fact that none of his stupid side kicks wern’t featured on the cover. Really speaks of the era.

I have never seen a Van Buren book or seen one advertised for sale. I see no markings either. Other than train of ownership is there any way to tell? Interesting, and a bit tragic story behind it.

Oddly the only distinguishing feature was the distinct smell of fire on the pages. I bought this off EBay years ago and the bonehead seller (I assume it was him) painted over the arrival date. I had it removed and graded but it got hammered despite likely being an unread book. Although based on the story it also sat in the elements after the fire.  Nicest looking 6.5 you will ever see!! Oh and if anyone has easy access to grader's notes I would love to read them on this book.

tn_AllFlash25CGCfront.jpg.c4052535de855635e49d17faf0465ed3.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

14 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I’ve tracked this title pretty darn closely for 10 years, and I would be shocked it there are more than a couple hundred of several issues. For a few, I’ve only seen a handful of copies trade within that span. Many of the census numbers hover in the teens. 

Somewhere over the years my ALL-FLASH #30 lost it's cover but the splash page is the same as the cover.

This issue also contains a promotional page for FLASH COMICS #86 with a  first look at THE BLACK CANARY.

IMG  ALL FLASH #30  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  ALL FLASH #30 AD  (200 dpi).jpg

5 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

Many of the census numbers hover in the teens. 

I noticed that last night when I was looking through the data and I was shocked! You'd think more would have been sent in to be graded by now? If my small collection is any indication --only one of my 7 Flash Comics is in the census so far.

17 hours ago, flashlites said:

Love that cover!!! Is that an Infantino cover?

The cover is the same as the splash for the story and I believe is by LEE ELIAS.  This is the last issue of ALL-FLASH.

It contains both the introduction of THE FIDDLER and STAR SAPPHIRE.

IMG  ALL FLASH #32 SPLASH  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  ALL FLASH #32 SPLASH 2  (200 dpi).jpg

Edited by Marty Mann