• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 CGC 9.0 Sells for $6,550
1 1

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

I have zero reason to believe that Hulk 180 would ever become the primary Wolverine book to own. The standard has already been set in place and accepted. 

Agreed, but the ratio between #180 and #181 could easily change... and whichever book benefits from that change is the one that's undervalued now. :flipbait:

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

I have zero reason to believe that Hulk 180 would ever become the primary Wolverine book to own. The standard has already been set in place and accepted. 

yep.  And now that people are putting significant money on 181, you'd be asking people to burn thousands of dollars to change their minds.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

All we really need for proof is to look at a book like Jimmy Olsen #134, which has a weak-sauce appearance, single panel, for Darkseid.  If Darkseid was the focus of the cover of Jimmy Olsen #135, it would easily win the price comparison.  But, since he's not on #135 either... both books are weak-sauce and the winner is the #134. :kidaround:

I like 134 for cool adams cover and great Kirby interior

2 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

yep.  And now that people are putting significant money on 181, you'd be asking people to burn thousands of dollars to change their minds.

That also crossed my mind.

4 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

That's one fugly looking 9.0. What's going on along the bottom of the BC?  It looks warped.  That may be the largest Newton Ring inside a CGC holder I've ever seen.

hulk181.PNG

Yikes, it’s not even in a pre-well choker.

Edited by mattn792

4 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

^^

18 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:
20 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Seems like people aren't getting it.  No one thinks Hulk #180 will be worth more than Hulk #181.  But if you can get a Hulk #180 for $1,000 and the same grade in a Hulk #181 for $6,000 today... then the recognition of Hulk #180 as a better first appearance than a lot of other characters could make that future ratio more like $2,000 for Hulk #180 vs. $6,000 for Hulk #181, and the book which has the most growth would be #180.

19 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

That's one fugly looking 9.0. What's going on along the bottom of the BC?  It looks warped.  That may be the largest Newton Ring inside a CGC holder I've ever seen.

hulk181.PNG

My guess is a very bad pressing job,  book should come with a Surfer on a wave sticker

23 minutes ago, apollobuzz said:
4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

My guess is a very bad pressing job,  book should come with a Surfer on a wave sticker

Would a second (good) pressing job fix that?  Curious as I have a book that looks to have waves like that and was likely pressed once already.

Yup. It's not too bad, and is easily fixed...but will unfortunately result in a second grading cost, which, for a 9.0 Hulk #181, is not cheap.

By the way..."waves" happen to all pressers, no matter who they are, or how experienced they are. The only thing you can do is fix it by holding on to the book a few days (up to a week) to make sure they don't come back. 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, Krydel4 said:

I've never been able to figure out how a full first appearance is thought of... What's the difference between this and this. One is considered a first appearance and the other a cameo. Both are one page, both characters speak and both have as much impact on the story being told in the book.

tumblr_lh3lzzkjj61qatg29o1_500.jpg

ab5f045c41b8a5244bd52e9fb75cbf4d.jpg

Because Mary Jane's hot and Wolverine's not?  (shrug)

On 9/4/2018 at 12:33 PM, Krydel4 said:

I've never been able to figure out how a full first appearance is thought of... What's the difference between this and this. One is considered a first appearance and the other a cameo. Both are one page, both characters speak and both have as much impact on the story being told in the book.

tumblr_lh3lzzkjj61qatg29o1_500.jpg

ab5f045c41b8a5244bd52e9fb75cbf4d.jpg

I believe it’s because Mary Jane was “mentioned” in ASM15 and then had another cameo where her face wasn’t shown in another early issue, so by this point you pretty much have to say “first full appearance” with her appearing in 2 panels. Otherwise it’s her 2nd cameo appearance?

The argument is a moot point.  Hulk 180 supporters could have the most valid point in the world but at the end of the day there is too much money invested in Hulk 181 being the more desirable book.  However, as 181 gets more expensive, people will opt to pick up 180 as an alternative.   This is the same reaction that has seen ASM 1 rocket up in price over the last two years. 

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Seems like people aren't getting it.  No one thinks Hulk #180 will be worth more than Hulk #181.  But if you can get a Hulk #180 for $1,000 and the same grade in a Hulk #181 for $6,000 today... then the recognition of Hulk #180 as a better first appearance than a lot of other characters could make that future ratio more like $2,000 for Hulk #180 vs. $6,000 for Hulk #181, and the book which has the most growth would be #180.

I get your point, and I'm not sure what the future holds, but the growth on Hulk 181 has been insane in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Hulk 180 is still a great book to invest in. I just don't see the value of Hulk 181 being stagnant while 180 tries to play catch up. 

Edited by Darkowl

6 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I get your point, and I'm not sure what the future holds, but the growth on Hulk 181 has been insane in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Hulk 180 is still a great book to invest in. I just don't see the value of Hulk 181 being stagnant while 180 tries to play catch up. 

Not stagnant.  But a faster growth rate.  It's doubtful 180 will ever match 181, but if it, for example, ended up being 75-80% of the cost, I wouldn't be surprised.