• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed comics gets a green label
2 2

29 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

It depends. If it's a green label because it's an witnessed signature, does it have a COA?

Seriously?  A COA?  lol

I would say there's some amount context that it would depend on.

If I've got a comic signed by a dead legend that I personally got signed, I'd still be pretty excited.  A Ditko or Kirby 9.8 that I personally witnessed...very excited still!

7 hours ago, BustedRavioli said:

If the only reason the book received a Green label is because of the autograph, then the 9.8 grade is valid. 

The 9.8 is valid, but I don't consider it a 9.8 since the signature isn't verified. Therefore it is a potential defect. If it have a 9.8 book and write "stan lee" on the cover it will get the exact same green label. I would almost always turn down a 9.8 green over a 9.8 blue. The same book signed on an inside page would receive a blue label, but not necessarily a 9.8. The inside sig could possibly bump the grade down.

Edited by SBRobin

My own experience in looking at prices paid is that if the signature looks reasonably legit, books that are green label because of a signature will sell for about the same price as a blue label book of the same grade.  Any premium is very unlikely, but if the signature is one collectors might otherwise want the price paid is close to blue label. 

A lot of collectors are now picking up CGC green labels with signatures and sending them to Voldy for their verified label. 

On 9/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, wikked said:

Wonder why they went from noting the actual names written on the cover..to just 'name written on cover'.

Many creators and celebrities signing now have such sucky signatures it's hard to be certain who signed the book. So rather than guess - and since it isn't a verified signature - it's safer to just say "name written on cover".

There aren't enough Steranko's and Grell's in the world, whose signature themselves look like art. 

So some of you would say investing in a book with the same grade CGC blue label is BETTER from a financial point of view then that same book with a green CGC label ?

How about if you reslab in CGC the following CBCS comic (see pic). Does it get a green or blue label since the signature is not on the cover ? Does it change anything?

Thanks for your 2 cents :headbang:

s-l1600-94.jpg

My best guess is that this book would get a blue label from CGC (provided Voldy didn't miss something else) with a notation on the CGC label which says something like this: "Chris Claremont" and "Stan Lee" written on 1st page. It wouldn't be Qualified for the signatures because they're not on the cover. And the grade could still change, but that's a nice looking 7.0... :hi:    

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, migmtl76 said:

So some of you would say investing in a book with the same grade CGC blue label is BETTER from a financial point of view then that same book with a green CGC label ?

How about if you reslab in CGC the following CBCS comic (see pic). Does it get a green or blue label since the signature is not on the cover ? Does it change anything?

Thanks for your 2 cents :headbang:

s-l1600-94.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, The Lions Den said:

My best guess is that this book would get a blue label from CGC (provided Voldy didn't miss something else) with a notation on the CGC label which says something like this: "Chris Claremont" and "Stan Lee" written on 1st page. It wouldn't be Qualified for the signatures because they're not on the cover. And the grade could still change, but that's a nice looking 7.0... :hi:    

1.  I don't think they'll actually put the names on the label.  "Writing on 1st page" or "Names written on first page".  I THINK you can ASK for a green label, and have those signatures ignored as defects.

2.  You would almost certainly be better off asking CGC directly about their policies.  They have employees who are paid to answer your questions about their services. 

Some replies have been along the lines of "I think". So I'll post up with what I know. 

Unwitnessed signatures on the front cover get a green label from CGC. On the interior they get blue label. You can if you wish request a blue label for most defects that normally get a green label and take the numeric grade hit instead.  In answering the OP's question, I - and many other collectors - are OK with green labels for unwitnessed signatures IF said signature(s) look legitimate. I won't  pay any premium price for a green label CGC book that is a result of unwitnessed signatures. But neither do I expect to buy it cheaper than blue label.

Voldy does not have a green, qualified label. Nor a Purple restored label for that matter. Any such issues are text on the label. Voldy offers a signature verification service. Where a signature expert looks at the book and says "yes or no" to if they believe it is an authentic signature. IF the signature fails authentication or IF the submitter chooses not to pay for the service (and it isn't cheap at $25 for one signature) then the "writing" on the front cover is treated as a substantial defect. I've seen a fair number of such books and 6.5-7.0 seems the highest possible grade if the signature cannot/is not verified. Like CGC, unwitnessed signatures on the interior of a book are treated as a minor defect if not witnessed or authenticated. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, Tony S said:

Unwitnessed signatures on the front cover get a green label from CGC. On the interior they get blue label. 

Anyone know what happens if you have a signature on the back cover, is it treated as an interior page and thus Blue Label? Just purchased this book with Stan's sign on back.

5c001b64-6dba-422d-868f-aef900eb8858.thumb.jpg.d03cb4e909df85973c7099a7e686db4c.jpg