• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery 83 CGC 5.0 Switched label??
2 2

145 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm working on it in earnest this weekend. I know the books pretty well from memory, studied and remember their specific and unique set of flaws, which should save time in the hunt.

Youre like the Bizarro version of JJJ-smart

56 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Has anybody been able to find any of these CGC labels in the previously sold sections of the major auction houses? 

We could then compare the legitimately graded book (with it's CGC serial number) to the suspects scan with the same CGC serial number and see if the books are the same.  This would offer solid proof that his is switching books (which I believe he is).

GPA would have a record of any serial numbers that have transacted on major sites.

38 minutes ago, gpanalysis said:

On this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-232-NM-9-4-CGC-graded-1st-Appearance-Ra-039-s-Al-Ghul-looks-9-8-/173544776509?hash=item286813233d%3Ag%3AiJ0AAOSwDYBbotIG&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

the comic in the holder he sold does not match what was in the holder when previously sold in 2007 and the cert details confirm it has not been regraded since:

That is exactly what I was talking about. 

Nicely done! (thumbsu

Not that there was much doubt before ....but this proves he is definitely switching books in the CGC holders.

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

That is exactly what I was talking about. 

Nicely done! (thumbsu

Not that there was much doubt before ....but this proves he is definitely switching books in the CGC holders.

If he tries to claim no I bought it that way-really? from who?  And what about all these others-

and if they can track his original purchases of all the 9.4s on ebay-well thats toast city-

Edited by kav

43 minutes ago, kav said:

If he tries to claim no I bought it that way-really? from who?  And what about all these others-

and if they can track his original purchases of all the 9.4s on ebay-well thats toast city-

When he reads this page, his butt cheeks will instinctively clench as he dashes for the commode.

1 hour ago, kav said:

His financial trail will probably show that he's first the buyer and then the seller of the switched books/labels without any trace of a "mysterious dude" as an intermediary (negating the 'mysterious dude' defense). Then, his financial trail will also show where the better book went that the 9.4 label was taken from.

27 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Nice find! @gpanalysis

I did a little bit of digging on the X-men #1, but couldn't find any matching books/images.

The only other one that popped up was the Green Lantern 76 he sold with just the label (cert 1093880017). Unfortunately the images for the previous sales are long gone (sold through eBay in 2012 and 2014). I'm trying to see if I can find them.

Edited by gpanalysis

Surprised the board detectives have not found all sorts of stuff-I've seen them assemble massive amounts of stake thru the heart evidence with less to go on.

17 hours ago, gpanalysis said:

On this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-232-NM-9-4-CGC-graded-1st-Appearance-Ra-039-s-Al-Ghul-looks-9-8-/173544776509?hash=item286813233d%3Ag%3AiJ0AAOSwDYBbotIG&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

the comic in the holder he sold does not match what was in the holder when previously sold in 2007 and the cert details confirm it has not been regraded since:

His image (front):

s-l1600.jpg

previously (front):

1707901101_ScreenShot2018-10-17at11_23_43am.png.69643b3d92c5bf1e58c8304c5311cb97.png

His image (back):

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.cde57d07f8adc6dbdddad55868f1f857.jpg

previously (back):

1430271301_ScreenShot2018-10-17at11_31_13am.png.4842aa0a22e595d638517fc052c425bb.png

WOW.....do you its possible he is buying them from someone else?..this looks pretty clear cut...great research

IMO, chances favor this one time CGC 9.4 Batman 232 being transformed into a PGX 9.6, 9.8 blue label or even a PGX sig series after being disassociated from the original slab and label..

That's what I'm researching now, although researching past PGX sales is far more daunting than past CGC sales.

Batman232.png

Edited by James J Johnson