• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery 83 CGC 5.0 Switched label??
2 2

145 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Mark Zaid said:

Although I cannot speak to your specific situation because I do not know anything about it, I can say the sentiment is respectfully inaccurate. There are many instances, including some I personally handled, where CGC undertook efforts to assist individuals who might have been defrauded by someone who tampered with a CGC graded book, presumed or real. Obviously our reach and authority is limited once the book is out of our possession, but that does not mean we will not take whatever steps possible to protect our product, our customers and our hobby.

If anyone ever encounters a situation such as described above, please bring it to my attention at Mark@MarkZaid.com.

excellent customer service at work here...great to know you have our backs..thank you

1 minute ago, kav said:

:pullhair: :ohnoez::screwy:

Kav i originally quoted something you said and then realized I was wrong, but the edit function in mobile won't let me delete the quote reference, in case you might have been wondering why I had a blank quote from one of your posts. 😐

18 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

I don't understand how he has such good feedback.

Bad luck with slabs, good luck with feedback. The folks he sold to either don't yet realize they were taken for a ride or when there was a problem and he rectified it, believed it was an honest error, even though lighting keeps striking so many slabs in the same place.

15 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Kav i originally quoted something you said and then realized I was wrong, but the edit function in mobile won't let me delete the quote reference, in case you might have been wondering why I had a blank quote from one of your posts. 😐

:pullhair: quote function!!!

On 9/4/2018 at 12:44 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Even if CGC knows about it, there is nothing they can do. I once alerted CGC to a situation where a book I once owned was manipulated to cover up a tear. CGC gave the manipulated book a 9.8, key Bronze book. CGC responded, and acknolwedged, they probably got fooled.  However, they said once the book is out of their hands, it's a done deal.

Bob, there's a big difference between a grading opinion or missing a defect and someone actually swapping out a book and misrepresenting it. The two are not comparable and CGC has no liability for either missing a defect or grading it differently on another day.

Thanks to the op for starting this thread, and to everyone who put the pieces of this puzzle together.  I hope I haven't had any transactions with this seller, that Ebay seller i.d. sounded awfully familiar.  

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to check that on Ebay, other than searching through past purchases, item by item.  Might be better off searching through Paypal.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Bob, there's a big difference between a grading opinion or missing a defect and someone actually swapping out a book and misrepresenting it. The two are not comparable and CGC has no liability for either missing a defect or grading it differently on another day.

I agree, the basis for my comment was to say there's not much CGC can do, which is what CGC told me at the time. No matter what the reason, the book is not in their possession and they don't own the property. Or is there something in the fine print and we don't really own the slabs, just renting them ? Just joking of course. The person that buys the book is in a better position to do something. IMO, CGC cannot initiate anything against the seller but can support and assist in the event the buyer takes action. IMO, CGC recognized this 'problem' a long time ago which is why we now have the new slab design.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, the basis for my comment was to say there's not much CGC can do, which is what CGC told me at the time. No matter what the reason, the book is not in their possession and they don't own the property. Or is there something in the fine print and we don't really own the slabs, just renting them ? Just joking of course. The person that buys the book is in a better position to do something. IMO, CGC cannot initiate anything against the seller but can support and assist in the event the buyer takes action. IMO, CGC recognized this 'problem' a long time ago which is why we now have the new slab design.

I think that because the swapped out book misrepresents CGC's company fraudulently they have legal recourse that way.

I don't know the legalities of chain of ownership but I do know that CGC aggressively pursues this sort of fraudulent misrepresentation as I've been a part of such things before.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think that because the swapped out book misrepresents CGC's company fraudulently they have legal recourse that way.

I don't know the legalities of chain of ownership but I do know that CGC aggressively pursues this sort of fraudulent misrepresentation as I've been a part of such things before.

I would also think that if the person of whom there's irrefutable proof of manipulating CGC slabs/labels, determined by investigation and discovery, including a paper trail, is or is associated with another grading service, like PGX. this would further exacerbate and compound that fraudulent activity and their liability of having a direct competitor manipulating CGC slabs in this way.

1 minute ago, Cliff R. said:

If you click on the link above, it shows that the seller is no longer a registered user.  This would make an interesting documentary, I think.

Odds are he has other headaches besides being kicked off ebay.