• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There will be math...

82 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There have been polymaths among you the whole time.  You just didn't recognize us, ummm.... them. :gossip:

You know a good half the people reading that won't know what a "polymath" is, and will think it's someone who knows a lot of different math...

And that's provided they have even rudimentary Latin...

:D

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You know a good half the people reading that won't know what a "polymath" is, and will think it's someone who knows a lot of different math...

And that's provided they have even rudimentary Latin...

:D

Like homouniversalis?

( to prevent spoon)

Edited by porcupine48
I got spooned

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just admit you screwed up and you're mad I quoted you before your edit.  It's not like you're claiming to be Mr. Knowitall... oh, I see the problem. lol

lol

Yea,...... no. Time counter shows your post after correction. 6 minute math fail. Time to go back to pickup sticks. I will have you know it is Mc, before that Knowitall....Royalty and all that, old chap. One should know ones' place in society.:taptaptap:

:jokealert:, because you never know around here. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

lol

Yea,...... no. Time counter shows your post after correction. 6 minute math fail. Time to go back to pickup sticks. I will have you know it is Mc, before that Knowitall....Royalty and all that, old chap. One should know ones' place in society.:taptaptap:

:jokealert:, because you never know around here. 

How did I quote your error if I didn't catch it in time? lol

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Exponential would be helpful for the full range of grades from 0.5 to 10, but logarithmic would be helpful to reduce the insanity caused by highest grades vs. next-highest grades, where the CGC census is basically telling us to multiply prices by 100 for a change from 9.8 to 9.9. :foryou:

(thumbsu

While I appreciate all your number crunching skills - not sure what the goal is here. Value is what someone pays for it, not what someone or some formula says it is worth. We see fluctuations in prices paid - both upward and downward, all the time. And as we remind the noob posters when they ask what their book(s) are worth, there is plenty of historical data points already available online and/or in print for reference.

How can we account for the drunk operator (been there) or the 2 collectors that just got to have a specific book (done that) or boring old fear of missing out (got the t-shirt) or yesterdays big movie announcement - trying to quantify human behaviors regarding collecting requires a much more complex formula than would be practical. Some smart guy even suggested that the rarer the book that it actually suppresses the price because of low visibility (lowering demand) and that certain keys are actually under-priced :)

Still like the mental exercise, but if it was this simple, we wouldn't need auctions - everyone would just accept a BIN based on the formula give or take a few bucks.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

How did I quote your error if I didn't catch it in time? lol

Well, once upon a time there was 2 posts, the first post, and then the edited post one minute after. And lo and behold, the Blond Prince copied the the first post :whatthe: (it was scary boys and girls), thinking if it was changed by the Knowitall Monster, he would be able to time trap him. The Monster had actually already protected his lair, 6 minutes before, because he saw the Blonde coming a mile away.

The Blond Prince was :makepoint: by the Knowitall Monster, and never hunted Knowitalls forever after.

The End

2 minutes ago, bc said:

(thumbsu

While I appreciate all your number crunching skills - not sure what the goal is here. Value is what someone pays for it, not what someone or some formula says it is worth. We see fluctuations in prices paid - both upward and downward, all the time. And as we remind the noob posters when they ask what their book(s) are worth, there is plenty of historical data points already available online and/or in print for reference.

How can we account for the drunk operator (been there) or the 2 collectors that just got to have a specific book (done that) or boring old fear of missing out (got the t-shirt) or yesterdays big movie announcement - trying to quantify human behaviors regarding collecting requires a much more complex formula than would be practical. Some smart guy even suggested that the rarer the book that it actually suppresses the price because of low visibility (lowering demand) and that certain keys are actually under-priced :)

Still like the mental exercise, but if it was this simple, we wouldn't need auctions - everyone would just accept a BIN based on the formula give or take a few bucks.

I'm doing this for myself, honestly.

I often think about how much I'm personally willing to pay for certain books when they (eventually) show up for sale.  It might sound easier to do as you suggest, and essentially just wing it, but I haven't found that to be easier.  That's frustrating and nerve-wracking.

I'd rather believe that I'm taking the CGC census into consideration... that I'm making a rational decision about my prices.

If it's rational, then it's math.

So here we are.  lol

5 minutes ago, bc said:

(thumbsu

We still need the R equation.....

2 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Well, once upon a time there was 2 posts, the first post, and then the edited post one minute after. And lo and behold, the Blond Prince copied the the first post :whatthe: (it was scary boys and girls), thinking if it was changed by the Knowitall Monster, he would be able to time trap him. The Monster had actually already protected his lair, 6 minutes before, because he saw the Blonde coming a mile away.

The Blond Prince was :makepoint: by the Knowitall Monster, and never hunted Knowitalls forever after.

The End

Are you talking about He-Man? hm

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:
15 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Ok, I think I followed everything so far.  I got 8.  Is that right?

Yes, G = 8

You've got it.

Ok, now that I'm done having my fun, here's my question.  It looks like you are viewing the grading scale as a 100 point scale (from 0.0 to 10.0) but there are actually only 26 distinct grades.  Since I don't know the origins of how CGC got the grading scale they came up with, is there a reason to view it as an (incomplete) 100 point scale rather than a 26 point scale?

Edited by thunsicker

Just now, thunsicker said:

Ok, now that I'm done having my fun, here's my question.  It looks like you are viewing the grading scale as a 100 point scale (from 0.0 to 10.0) but there are actually only 26 distinct grades.  Since I don't know the origins of how CGC got the grading scale they came up with is there a reason to view it as an (incomplete) 100 point scale rather than a 26 point scale?

It's likely that CGC has just "co-opted" the 100 point grading scale that Overstreet has used, combining it with the "Perfect 10" concept made (more) popular by Bo Derek.  If we've learned anything from all those Golden Age collectors, it's that they value headlights.

So, combining headlights with the 100 point scale, you get the CGC 10 scale, which doesn't bother with grades like 62 (or 6.2) because they can just flip a coin and choose 6.0 or 6.5... or companies that stole all their ideas from CGC like PGX can just roll the dodecahedron.

Regardless, there's at least a "vague concept" that CGC 9.8 represents 98% perfection, while CGC 9.0 is more like 90% perfection.... and it wouldn't make much sense to switch that simple idea to something where the denominator is 26... unless you're PGX... which means you decide every grade based on how much extra business you'll get from Oregon dealers if you lie. :whistle:

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm doing this for myself, honestly.

I often think about how much I'm personally willing to pay for certain books when they (eventually) show up for sale.  It might sound easier to do as you suggest, and essentially just wing it, but I haven't found that to be easier.  That's frustrating and nerve-wracking.

I'd rather believe that I'm taking the CGC census into consideration... that I'm making a rational decision about my prices.

If it's rational, then it's math.

So here we are.  lol

Got it and understand where you are coming from (think we've all been there (thumbsu).

lol I don't exactly just wing it - more like set a comfortable range based on the available data (including the census, feeBay records & GPA), my current collecting focus and guesstimate of the competition (if its an auction like Clink).

Congrats on the 60% - in some schools that is still a passing grade (: