• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There will be math...

82 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Personally I feel that GoCollect's modeler does a pretty accurate job at this. Of course there is no perfect equation, and things will ALWAYS get skewed at the high and low extremes.

That's good, but is it required to use GoCollect's modeler or can the same thing be done by hand (or in Excel)?  I'm hoping to come up with something simple and fully transparent.  My guess is GoCollect has a modeler that isn't simple and isn't transparent.

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's good, but is it required to use GoCollect's modeler or can the same thing be done by hand (or in Excel)?  I'm hoping to come up with something simple and fully transparent.  My guess is GoCollect has a modeler that isn't simple and isn't transparent.

Yeah they use Gerber's RVI model modified to each comic.  

Edited by thunsicker
Wrong Link (removed modified duplication)

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah they use Gerber's RVI model modified to each comic.  

In my limited experience it's been pretty accurate, certainly for books that are somewhat stable. Books that explode with each sale, say FF #1 right now, or Hulk #181 a few months back, it's not always going to be 100%.

I applaud the formulae and the fun thread you have generated! Someone in this thread tried to get at rarity as a factor; I think the other  hard thing to try to capture is likelihood that the census ratios for a given book will be altered by future submissions, given that the CGC graded universe of 5 million comics is still much smaller than the universe of printed comics extant.

Whats the likelihood of another 9.8 New Mutants 98 joining the census?

Of a fourth 9.6 AF15?

Of another copy of Green Giant Comics at all?

I'm not complaining, just "musing aloud" online. Not sure how to account for those varying likelihoods. Each book on the census has the potential to experience different rates of change to their grade ratios.

I think this where I read bc's strategy and thought that he's accounting for the Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

New census books can be a punch in the face; not sure how we capture that in a formula. And we can't short the census to expose ourselves to upside from say two more AF 15 9.6's emerging ... Can we?  hm

Regardless, you guys are fun over here! (thumbsu

26 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

New census books can be a punch in the face; not sure how we capture that in a formula. And we can't short the census to expose ourselves to upside from say two more AF 15 9.6's emerging ... Can we?  hm

The conventional wisdom is that "the best copy" of many great books has yet to be certified.