• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Whole Book Wear All Corners" Meaning

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So, I have a CGC 8.5 TMNT 1. Every time I have showed it to fellow collectors, without fail, they tell me it needs a press. The book was graded in 2008 (not by me), and I can tell there is some waviness in the book.

I was told that before pressing, I should get the grader notes to make sure there are no hidden issues inside the book I don't know about. I got the grader notes, and I wasn't sure what part of it means:

"SPINE STRESS LINES BREAKS COLOR and WHOLE BOOK WEAR ALL CORNERS"

So, I know that you all can't tell without seeing the book. Even pictures probably won't be helpful, as you have to look at the book closely to get a good view of the waviness.

My question is, do you believe that the Whole Book Wear line is only referring to the corners (which show wear), or do you think that Whole book wear might refer to the waviness/pressable defects? Anyone had experience with a similar grader note before? I don't want to get it pressed if the note is only referring to the corners as I don't think they would be helped.

Thanks!

With regard to the waviness, since it's not mentioned in the notes, I suspect that happened post grading while in the slab. It may be that the book spent too much time in a humid environment. Obviously a press will NOT help the 'spine stress lines that break color'. Not sure how to interpret the 'whole book wear all corners'. You inferred that you only partly referenced the notes. You should present them here whole, EXACTLY as stated, so we can give a better opinion. Pics would help also. To be honest, with only the info you presented, it sounds like 8.5 is a generous grade.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

With regard to the waviness, since it's not mentioned in the notes, I suspect that happened post grading while in the slab. It may be that the book spent too much time in a humid environment. Obviously a press will NOT help the 'spine stress lines that break color'. Not sure how to interpret the 'whole book wear all corners'. You inferred that you only partly referenced the notes. You should present them here whole, EXACTLY as stated, so we can give a better opinion. Pics would help also. To be honest, with only the info you presented, it sounds like 8.5 is a generous grade.

Thanks for the response bomber bob. I might have been confusing with my wording. The quoted section is all of the notes on the book word for word. I was confused about the second part of the notes, I understand the color breaking spine stresses portion.

I can post the book after work, but it won't be very helpful. There are about 3 spine nicks visible on the back, and some blunting/issues with the corners, as per the notes. I am just confused if the second part of the notes are regarding the whole book being wavy w/ corner damage, or if the corner damage goes around the entire book.

The book presents as a 9.0+ with copies I've compared online, which is why I want to press. The issues are quite minor, it's a good-looking copy, hence why every person I show it to has told me to press it.

37 minutes ago, metallickyrulz1 said:

I can post the book after work, but it won't be very helpful. There are about 3 spine nicks visible on the back, and some blunting/issues with the corners, as per the notes. I am just confused if the second part of the notes are regarding the whole book being wavy w/ corner damage, or if the corner damage goes around the entire book.

My guess here is that the corner wear goes through the entire book. It usually results in a more severe downgrade than if it were just the corners of the cover...

Edited by The Lions Den

49 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

My guess here is that the corner wear goes through the entire book. It usually results in a more severe downgrade than if it were just the corners of the cover...

Makes sense ! As opposed to a blunted corner on the cover only. If all 4 corners are blunted, through the whole book, and there are spine ticks it would appear that 8.5 is about right. I really think the waviness was not mentioned because it was not there when the graders saw it. Press the book to get rid of the waves and I still think you have an 8.5 ? (shrug) 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Makes sense ! As opposed to a blunted corner on the cover only. If all 4 corners are blunted, through the whole book, and there are spine ticks it would appear that 8.5 is about right. I really think the waviness was not mentioned because it was not there when the graders saw it. Press the book to get rid of the waves and I still think you have an 8.5 ? (shrug) 

Very possible, unless they could eliminate the blunted corners, too...