• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I press new modern books?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I'm submitting a few new moderns that were just released this month. They look ok with no visible defects. Of course I'd want to give them the best shot at a 9.8, would pressing them help or possibly even hurt? They're both dark covers & one of them has extra pages but not quite a giant size. Just trying to determine if it's worth while.

Thanks in advance for any responses

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Pictures?

I can post them but you wouldn't be able to see any defects. One is ASM #1 Jamal Campbell variant cover A the other is "Venom first host" #1 Bagley cover 1A. Both are dark covers just released. The spines look good no specs of dirt and all edges look flat. I've never submitted moderns so I don't know if pressing is advisable here?

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I can post them but you wouldn't be able to see any defects. One is ASM #1 Jamal Campbell variant cover A the other is "Venom first host" #1 Bagley cover 1A. Both are dark covers just released. The spines look good no specs of dirt and all edges look flat. I've never submitted moderns so I don't know if pressing is advisable here?

If it is a large enough batch do a pre-screen, then get the ones that failed pressed. 

To me you shouldn't have to press a book that you just pulled off the shelf just to insure a 9.8 grade. I did it with a couple of new books a few years back with competitor company. Pressed 1 and left the other alone. Both came back at 9.8 and the 1 that was pressed looked bad around the staples.

On 9/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

To me you shouldn't have to press a book that you just pulled off the shelf just to insure a 9.8 grade. I did it with a couple of new books a few years back with competitor company. Pressed 1 and left the other alone. Both came back at 9.8 and the 1 that was pressed looked bad around the staples.

Agree that you shouldn't have to, but between Marvel's super-thin paper & covers and Diamonds terrible shipping methods, it can be a real challenge to find a single 9.8 candidate in a stack of new releases on some weeks. 

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Not sure why some are quick to say its a complete waste of money when a press on a modern book can ensure it does get a 9.8.

Sometimes. 

NOT all the times.

More often than not, the book won't need a press. But if it gives you a sense of security, spend away. 

The best thing to do is learn what a real 9.8 looks like. Never hurts to work on your grading skills. 

Edited by newshane

45 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It could hurt your sex life.

You must be getting this confused with marriage and parenthood. :(

On 9/19/2018 at 11:39 AM, Keys_Collector said:

Not sure why some are quick to say its a complete waste of money when a press on a modern book can ensure it does get a 9.8.

I wouldn't say its a waste of money especially when I buy only a few moderns here and there. Just seems "unfair" that a person should have to do anything to a book pulled off the shelf for a 9.8

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I wouldn't say its a waste of money especially when I buy only a few moderns here and there. Just seems "unfair" that a person should have to do anything to a book pulled off the shelf for a 9.8

I agree to a certain extent but thats the game you are playing when going after a 9.8 instead of a 9.6 or any grade for that matter considering how miniscule the difference can be especially on modern books. New books are still shipped and handled causing minor non color breaking creases which can often be pressed out.

12 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I agree to a certain extent but thats the game you are playing when going after a 9.8 instead of a 9.6 or any grade for that matter considering how miniscule the difference can be especially on modern books. New books are still shipped and handled causing minor non color breaking creases which can often be pressed out.

If there is a visible flaw, sure, get it pressed. But the OP stated he saw no flaws. In that case, IMO, it's a waste of money, and worse yet, a waste of time. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If there is a visible flaw, sure, get it pressed. But the OP stated he saw no flaws. In that case, IMO, it's a waste of money, and worse yet, a waste of time. 

If the OP is asking if he should get them pressed then odds are likely that he may not properly know how to check for some flaws that could be pressed out. 

There is little point to pressing 9.8's to 9.8.  Pressing takes time and costs money. 

Save your moderns until you have 25. Then submit them at a 9.8 prescreen.  Any books slabbed will be 9.8's. Any rejects are returned to you raw. 

Look over the rejects closely. If  you don't see any defects pressing can't fix then have them pressed and resubmitted for grading. 

To a lot of people it looks like the big dealers always have nothing but 9.8's with their moderns.  Leading to suspicion that dealers that submit large volumes get better grades. This isn't what is going on. Large volume submitters prescreen their moderns at 9.8.  Prescreen is a wonderful tool and more people should use it.