• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages
2 2

24 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

It's a real punch in the gut when you view a shipped CGC invoice and the universal is there, yes!, the grade is better than you expected, yes!, and then you see the slightly brittle or brittle page quality, woe is me.  I think the marketplace punishes them so badly becomes it reminds us all of our own mortality.  Nothing lasts forever.

Happened to me.  Paid up for long time want list book. Paged through it with no issues prior to submission (certainly turned pages with no "brittle" chipping or loss). 

Excitedly waited checking for grade online every day... 

Universal!  ...2.5, okay....  whoops, uh... oh no!

Got some Newton Rings as bonus.

7252018011.jpg

45 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

It's a real punch in the gut when you view a shipped CGC invoice and the universal is there, yes!, the grade is better than you expected, yes!, and then you see the slightly brittle or brittle page quality, woe is me.  I think the marketplace punishes them so badly becomes it reminds us all of our own mortality.  Nothing lasts forever.

Agreed,

I had it happen on a Batman 4, and it was very much a punch to the gut, maybe even a bit lower......:S

17 minutes ago, ender said:

Agreed,

I had it happen on a Batman 4, and it was very much a punch to the gut, maybe even a bit lower......:S

I presume the page quality is also embedded in the grade.  Else the Down With Crime would be 4.5 apparent or something like that.

That makes it really a "double whammy" (punch to gut and kick to groin).

1086033_o.gif

Edited by path4play

54 minutes ago, path4play said:

Happened to me.  Paid up for long time want list book. Paged through it with no issues prior to submission (certainly turned pages with no "brittle" chipping or loss). 

Excitedly waited checking for grade online every day... 

Universal!  ...2.5, okay....  whoops, uh... oh no!

Got some Newton Rings as bonus.

7252018011.jpg

Much like the books I posted this looks like is a beautiful book with nothing obvious contributing to the Brittle designation.  I agree, the grading companies should have some kind of scale, like with restoration, to note extent and location of brittleness.  I'm sure we would all look more kindly on a book with brittle corner(s) than a book that is completely separated at the spine with chips falling into the holder.  As we all know, if you collect GA and are not made of money sometimes the only copy available to you is one with brittleness.  It would be great to be able to have a better understanding of what you are buying.

Edited by Badger