• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales 135
1 1

20 posts in this topic

7.5 to 8 from me, depending on how they treat the top edge

1 hour ago, Dino-Mutt said:

7.5 TO AN 8 HERE, LOOKS LIKE A BLACK MARKER ABOUT A 1/4 INCH BELOW THE "GE" IN STRANGE 

Yep. Solid 7.5. Some of those spine stresses are flaked and a pressing is not going to make them disappear, and the same with the tops staple bottom tine rip in the paper. The strong points, even after pressing aren't going to be enough to counterbalance that rip and the small tears in the overhang.

That does look like a wedge-tipped black marker stroke. Shouldn't affect the grade or status unless CGC determines that its presence is not accidental and it's there to conceal some underlying flaw. Maybe a scuff or some type of puncture as it does look like the surface may be impacted where that short stroke is.

Captain, can you tell us what's on the opposite side of the front cover, exactly where that black stroke is?

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Yep. Solid 7.5. Some of those spine stresses are flaked and a pressing is not going to make them disappear, and the same with the tops staple bottom tine rip in the paper. The strong points, even after pressing aren't going to be enough to counterbalance that rip and the small tears in the overhang.

That does look like a wedge-tipped black marker stroke. Shouldn't affect the grade or status unless CGC determines that its presence is not accidental and it's there to conceal some underlying flaw. Maybe a scuff or some type of puncture as it does look like the surface may be impacted where that short stroke is.

Captain, can you tell us what's on the opposite side of the front cover, exactly where that black stroke is?

I have 2 copies. They both have that mark. It's not as prominent when looking at the comics with the naked eye. I actually had to grab a flashlight to see it better. For some reason it is more outstanding in the photos above!

34 minutes ago, captain_em said:

I have 2 copies. They both have that mark. It's not as prominent when looking at the comics with the naked eye. I actually had to grab a flashlight to see it better. For some reason it is more outstanding in the photos above!

Have to take a closer look at more. I have two,on that are without a trace of it.

Edited by James J Johnson

7 minutes ago, captain_em said:

I had to pull mine out of the mylite to see it. Try looking at it in brighter light or with a flashlight.

I did. Magnification and bright light raking from all angles.  Nothing. dark blue/purple all the way. Not even a trace of an outline of a black rectangle where yours are, which leads me to believe (and stated with the hopes that my saying so doesn't start another argument with naysayers), that there is more than one printing of this book, although I did not have it on my list of double printed books along with AS 33, AV 24, FF 48, AS 45, ST 133, 134, and many others. (Now appreciating the calm before the double and triple print deluge to come).

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I did. Magnification and bright light raking from all angles.  Nothing. dark blue/purple all the way. Not even a trace of an outline of a black rectangle where yours are, which leads me to believe (and stated with the hopes that my saying so doesn't start another argument with naysayers), that there is more than one printing of this book, although I did not have it on my list of double printed books along with AS 33, AV 24, FF 48, AS 45, ST 133, 134, and many others. (Now appreciating the calm before the double and triple print deluge to come).

Interesting. Thanks for looking and thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, Mucheee1 said:

When I looked at this specific area on my copy of ST 135 in strong sunlight, it says “IND.” I looked at other issues I have before and after 135 and also see “IND.” on those covers. I think they placed this in a poor position on this cover (dark print in a dark cover area).

Ok. That makes sense. I think IND was the distributor for Marvel comics, but don't quote me. I took a close up picture and magnified it and I can barely make out a D on the end. I wonder why the mark is more prominent on some covers. Something to do with the printing process back then, I guess. Thanks for your message!

2 hours ago, captain_em said:

Ok. That makes sense. I think IND was the distributor for Marvel comics, but don't quote me. I took a close up picture and magnified it and I can barely make out a D on the end. I wonder why the mark is more prominent on some covers. Something to do with the printing process back then, I guess. Thanks for your message!

The IND is most typically located at the top left corner: (see FF 1)

but, it can appear in other locations.

The IND is short for Independent News Distribution. National (DC) owned it, so it's ironic that DC, by proxy, distributed all the comics with the IND or ID on the cover in the late Golden and early Silver age, Atlas/Marvel as well!

47 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The IND is most typically located at the top left corner: (see FF 1)

but, it can appear in other locations.

The IND is short for Independent News Distribution. National (DC) owned it, so it's ironic that DC, by proxy, distributed all the comics with the IND or ID on the cover in the late Golden and early Silver age, Atlas/Marvel as well!

That's interesting info about IND. Thanks! Yes, you are right- I have a stack of Marvel Silvers in front of me.... I see IND on left side most comics, on the right side others- e.g. FF Annual 1, TOS 46, 50, 55. Thanks again! 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, captain_em said:

Thanks for your input, everyone! I'll send it off for clean and press and post results when I get it back from CGC!

Please do, Captain. I'm hoping for at least an 8.0, and maybe higher...:wishluck:

Edited by The Lions Den