• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 30 Bronze Age Marvel Books(not including price variants)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hey ladies and gents,

I've been trying to compile a list of the top 30 bronze age marvel books for myself as a small checklist. I was hoping to get some feedback if you feel I've omitted or forgotten something that should be on this list. Conversely if you feel there are books on here that shouldn't be please feel to offer your opinions and feedback. I've tried to stick to first appearances mostly and the order is how I remembered them not in order of importance. Thank you all very much, all the best!!!!

1- Hulk 181                                
2- Amazing Spiderman 129    
3- Giant Size X-Men 1
4- Marvel Spotlight 5
5- Werewolf By Night 32
6- Tomb of Dracula 10
7- X- Men 94
8- Hero For Hire 1 
9- Iron Man 55
10- X- Men 101
11- Ms. Marvel 1
12- Conan The Barbarian 1
13- Amazing Spiderman 121
14- Amazing Spiderman 122 
15- Marvel Premier 15
16- Iron Fist 14    
17- Amazing Adventures 11
18- Amazing Spiderman 194
19- Daredevil 131
20- Nova 1
21- Amazing Spiderman 101
22- Hulk 180
23- Savage Tales 1
24- Star Wars 1
25- Strange Tales 180

26- Marvel Spotlight  2

27- Marvel Preview 4

28- Marvel Preview 7

29- Tomb of Dracula 1

30- Daredevil 168

Edited by Lev

Just glancing over it I would say Hulk 180 would be above a few of those...if we are talking value...also a few of the Claremont/Byrne X-Men would be sprinkled in...

Edited by JTD

doh!

Looked too quick.

I don't think X-Men 109 should be on there. Same really goes for Night Nurse 1, Nova 1 and Ms. Marvel 1. Important books but not top 25. Ms. Marvel is arguable but is really spiking. How about Marvel Premiere 4 and 7? Or do those not count like price variants don't count?

Edited by PeterPark

2 hours ago, Lev said:

In regards to Hulk 180, it is only a cameo. I figured since Hulk 181 was there it would be slightly redundant, although it does deserve an honorable mention

Hulk 180 is more of a first appearance than many accepted first appearances. It's value and importance is there. X-Men 94 and GSX 1 both get big importance bumps for being early Wolverine appearances. None come earlier than Hulk 180.

17 hours ago, Lev said:

I left off DD 168 because its from 81 and most people agree that's the beginning of the copper age. I definitely should include ASM 101, so I guess Cat is off the list. 

I was under the impression that the Bronze Age ran to 85 or at least 83 ..... I certainly think DD168 is a bronze age book.

Also Hulk 180 is more important than both DD168 and ASM 101

If you’re basing this just on price, Tomb of Dracula 1 might also bump a few of those off. And it does have some significance as far as Marvel undead characters go.

It would seem weird that ToD might be in a small group of titles that have more than one book though. ASM, Hulk, and X-Men is pretty good company.

Marvel Spotlight 2 should also be given consideration. Are there really no 9.8s out there? When one shows up, that will likely be a $5000 book, likely more.

Edited by electricprune

5 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I was under the impression that the Bronze Age ran to 85 or at least 83 ..... I certainly think DD168 is a bronze age book.

Also Hulk 180 is more important than both DD168 and ASM 101

Perhaps I was mistaken but they have a set on cgc called marvel copper age first appearances and that book was there. Either way I'm trying to stay in 70's for the purposes of this list

I think that's a solid list. As some other folks have mentioned, you could remove Night Nurse, Nova, and the Cat if you want.

ASM #101, Marvel Spotlight #2, DD #168, TOD #1, and other books  mentioned are all solid additions.

But hey, there's nothing magical about the number 25. Make it The Top 30 Bronze Age Books and you'll never lose any sleep over it.

I probably should just make the list 30 and add asm 101, hulk 180, marvel spotlight 2, dd 168,  marvel preview 4 and 7, and finally Tomb of dracula 1. I''l remove cat and night nurse and I think that's a pretty good list. I would like to thank everyone for their input and I look forward to posting pics as my checklist gets gets smaller ;-).

On 9/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Lev said:

Hey ladies and gents,

I've been trying to compile a list of the top 25 bronze age marvel books for myself as a small checklist. I was hoping to get some feedback if you feel I've omitted or forgotten something that should be on this list. Conversely if you feel there are books on here that shouldn't be please feel to offer your opinions and feedback. I've tried to stick to first appearances mostly and the order is how I remembered them not in order of importance. Thank you all very much, all the best!!!!

1- Hulk 181                                
2- Amazing Spiderman 129    
3- Giant Size X-Men 1
4- Marvel Spotlight 5
5- Werewolf By Night 32
6- Tomb of Dracula 10
7- X- Men 94
8- Hero For Hire 1 
9- Iron Man 55
10- X- Men 101
11- Ms. Marvel 1
12- Conan The Barbarian 1