• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC not allowing local pickup of orders
2 2

57 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NamesJay said:

When I go I usually drop off between 100-200 at a time. I'm just a little worried to see what the shipping is going to be with my usual volume.

Why would they not let others who businesses are in submission and restoration pick up books on site for their clients?  That is weird.

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The grading notes were originally never meant to be shared with the public and were meant for internal use by graders, so many old notes were shorthand.

When you ask for notes to get populated (and they have not yet been done so) a grader populates them.

Since about 2014 all notes are populated automatically when a book is graded but notes before that were not.

Makes sense, but they could at least do it from a certain time period forward.

Personally I always find it frustrating when my books don't have grader notes. As a customer that's an expectation.

It's certainly their business choice to charge for them after the fact, that's probably why CBCS doesn't.

I know everyone likes to get their panties in a twist anytime CGC does anything but come on people, really? No local pick-ups are a problem for what... 1% of their submitter base? Probably less. It doesn't affect most of us, yet people still need to find a reason to whine. There are far more pressing issues to whine about than this, like Newton rings and all of the FedEx restrictions recently that are affecting a lot more than the 200 people that live local to Sarasota and submit comic books.

I find this NEWS very upsetting.  I make the drive the CGC a few times a year to drop off and pick up books.  Most times its between 200 to 300 books.

I find that 300 books would costs OVER 780 dollars to ship back to me..  Thats at over 65 dollars ground shipping per 25 books to me.  The drive costs less then 50 dollars round trip.  To me that is a HUGE savings.

NOT COOL CGC.    :(

If you grade a lot of books, I'm guessing most are for resale? If so, why not just register as a dealer then, as you technically are a dealer if you're buying and selling?

I can understand if you live local, you would not want the high postage costs, so can't CGC just get have an employee who delivers to locals, I know it's an extra cost for CGC, but supermarkets do free deliveries on small orders of £50 pounds over here. So a consignment where the customer has sent in hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of books, really could just get a free local delivery to keep customers happy?

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Bird said:

maybe they only have one room available and they need it for the drop offs. You would think they would have some intermediate step like notifying you they are ready and you get one day to come get'em but I guess they think that would be more hassle than this blanket decision.

We certainly notify everyone when their orders are complete.  We follow up with phone calls as well after a few weeks pass.  We are very diligent in the communication to notify customers that their orders are ready. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So, how do you do walk-through, if you can no longer walk through....?

:whistle:

It sounds like there were people who weren't picking up their books in a timely manner.

Same day Walk-thrus will still be allowed.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, wikked said:

The place is ginormous, I wouldn't think there's any issue at all with holding pick-up orders for locals, especially with the London office opening up, it'll take small load off from the overseas shipments.

cgc-satelliteview.jpg

Our facility is home to all our companies: NGC, NCS, PMG, CGC and CCS. 

8 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I know everyone likes to get their panties in a twist anytime CGC does anything but come on people, really? No local pick-ups are a problem for what... 1% of their submitter base? Probably less. It doesn't affect most of us, yet people still need to find a reason to whine. There are far more pressing issues to whine about than this, like Newton rings and all of the FedEx restrictions recently that are affecting a lot more than the 200 people that live local to Sarasota and submit comic books.

If I have Joeypost as my presser/submitter and his business model was to walk the items in and then walk them out, this change will increase his costs which will then be passed on to me his customer all the way over here in Edmonton Alberta Canada. It isn't just affecting the people local to CGC.

Add in the newton ring debacle and the FedEx restrictions too.

I recall an experience shared to me by a first time submitter who was handling the liquidation of an estate, which included comic books. They decided to personally travel to Sarasota, submit the books with a walkthrough, spend the night, pick up the books the next day and go home with the books.  Seems like a reasonable approach and probably happens frequently. Upon picking up the books, they were not happy with/didn't understand the grades, who knows. They wanted more information, wanted to talk to the graders. They were told this cannot be arranged, upon which they started making demands, etc. etc. to no avail. The person took the books and left, vowing never to deal with CGC again. Rather than being sympathetic with the submitter, I remember feeling sorry for CGC. I thought this kind of situation probably happens a lot. It's one thing to have people calling in with complaints about their grades but to have them in the waiting room is another story. Again, I remember thinking, why does CGC put themselves in this position ? In summary, I can understand why CGC is doing this. If people would just pick up their books and leave, that's cool. However, I suspect the experience shared to me happens a lot, probably daily. Maybe something extreme happened that prompted this response. Anyway, I trust they made their decision for a good reason. Let's see how it plays out.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

If I have Joeypost as my presser/submitter and his business model was to walk the items in and then walk them out, this change will increase his costs which will then be passed on to me his customer all the way over here in Edmonton Alberta Canada. It isn't just affecting the people local to CGC.

Add in the newton ring debacle and the FedEx restrictions too.

Joey is a dealer and therefore not affected by this change.  This shouldn't affect your costs with Joey if you do everything through him.

5 hours ago, elektra101 said:

I find this NEWS very upsetting.  I make the drive the CGC a few times a year to drop off and pick up books.  Most times its between 200 to 300 books.

I find that 300 books would costs OVER 780 dollars to ship back to me..  Thats at over 65 dollars ground shipping per 25 books to me.  The drive costs less then 50 dollars round trip.  To me that is a HUGE savings.

NOT COOL CGC.    :(

How long is CGC holding books for you when you drop them off?  Would you be upset if they were charging you storage/insurance fees, additional employee costs since these are outside of the regular process?  

9 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

How long is CGC holding books for you when you drop them off?  Would you be upset if they were charging you storage/insurance fees, additional employee costs since these are outside of the regular process?  

"The CGC Idea Committee thanks you for your suggestion of possible new revenue streams @blazingbob.  We will soon be offering an option to store books for pickup, but with a fee to do so.  We are re-positioning CGC to become owners of the most valuable real estate in central Florida (on a square foot basis)."

Edited by Transplant

3 minutes ago, Transplant said:

"The CGC Idea Committee thanks you for your suggestion of possible new revenue streams @blazingbob.  We will soon be offering an option to store books for pickup, but with a fee to do so.  We are re-positioning CGC to become owners of the most valuable real estate in central Florida (on a square foot basis)."

Coffee, donuts, and wifi also available (all at a price).