• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would staple rust typically be mentioned in the grader notes?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

On graders notes I think so also.

On the label itself  if severe enough it will be mentioned (at least for the older labels). I've seen some books with a bit of rust on the staples and nothing was said on the label.

Edited by Dark Knight

That would be a major defect so presumably it would.

Btw, there's another section on the boards called "comic book grading & restoration issues" under comics general where this question would fit better

Edit: not under comics general but "CGC forums"

Edited by MGsimba77

I called for grader's notes once on a CGC 9.0 because it had staple rust, and I was told by CGC that they would never note something like that on such a low-grade book.

I know, I know - I found that response silly..., but that's what I got.  And I paid between $500-600 for the book.

Now that you can purchase grader's notes on line, I should probably do that, and see what they do say.

If it’s not it should be - rusty staples (like tape) have the potential to degrade over time and damage the book - it should be noted in the graders note and on the label IMO. 

I personally will not buy a book with tape or rusty staples 

Edited by Chillax23

Grader's notes were always meant to be an internal dialogue between the graders to communicate defects that they thought should be noted so that each grader was on the same page.

Grader's notes were not meant to be a definitive list of defects for the end user.

Over time, CGC began releasing grader's notes to the public.

Now the public expects them available for every book, and while the notes have become more detailed over time I still don't think they are exhaustive.

Just one of the things that have changed over the decades as CGC has grown.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, 234wallst said:

I was just curious to know if staple rust would be a defect CGC would mention in the grader notes?

Thanks.

-A

I think the real answer is 'it depends'. As Vintage pointed out above, the grader's notes are not meant to be comprehensive. In today's environment, with notes available for purchase, I believe notes reflect flaws that directly affect the grade. Sometimes flaws simply do not matter in the grade because either the grade is already low or there is some overriding flaw that takes precedent. Ex. If a book has a large stain or piece missing, the existence of a little rust does not matter, so it is not listed. There is also the factor of severity. A tiny 'spot' of rust is no biggie to CGC but rust that has migrated to the paper is hammer time to CGC. 

On 9/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, dodger said:

Here is a screen grab from my last submission.  They also noted rusted staples on my Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.0

Capture.thumb.JPG.99cdad2612c730c8c9b3849376502402.JPG

Wow - kind of surprised a book can grade that high with rusted staples - clearly I just think it is more serious than CGC

3 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Wow - kind of surprised a book can grade that high with rusted staples - clearly I just think it is more serious than CGC

Just stating a staple has 'rust' is not enough to tell me about a book. A book can be in the NM range if a small amount of rust on a staple. A lot of rust can take a book down into Fine range.

As always it's not just what the defect is but how big, and how deep and how long and how wide and how much it affects the book.

CGC used to put it on the label. They removed it from the label when they first started with the large number grade format.

I'm pretty sure it's in the graders notes now, but since they removed it from the label, it's always felt like a way to conceal a pretty serious flaw.

"Staple wear" as CGC describes it is in my opinion as concerning, as it will inevitably lead to rust migration. Only a matter of time.

Edited by comicwiz

They removed comments from the old labels because they felt that it made some books less desirable than others of the same grade when they felt that a book in a given grade should have been equal to another book of the same grade.

It's the same reason they used to list all of the different pre grader grades in the grading notes and now they only list the finalizer grade.