• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ongoing eBay Direct to Newsstand For Sale Ratio Project.
3 3

124 posts in this topic

This is the first time I saw this topic and it’s a great one.  I had similar questions about Thor 337 and whether newsstands were more rare or not, as it didn’t seem that way on eBay. Judging by the info in here, I’m not sure we actually have an answer.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, divad said:

Here is a photo of the store I bought my first comics at:

97354.jpg

In running the searches to find this again, I just found out that the proprietor, Frank Petraitis, recently passed away in 2016 at the age of 92. :(

This is where I bought comics in 1978, Recycle Books (on the left). At least, one of the places I bought comics. Bob Sidebottom's is visible in this shot (on the right, mid-block) but is hard to make out. He had a back room loaded with full boxes of comics like FF #1, Hulk #1, Avengers #1, etc. All bought from the same warehouse. The boxes went up to the 14 foot high ceiling and almost totally covered the floor. I was shown a box of Hulk #1's, never opened. I was only 12 in 1978 but they hired me a couple of times to grade and price comics. Once, they called me in to price a collection someone wanted to sell them. It included a full set of Spider-Man, starting with #1. I think they gave me a $200 store credit for that one.

Recycle Books in 1978.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 10/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, paqart said:

This is where I bought comics in 1978, Recycle Books (on the left). At least, one of the places I bought comics. Bob Sidebottom's is visible in this shot (on the right, mid-block) but is hard to make out. He had a back room loaded with full boxes of comics like FF #1, Hulk #1, Avengers #1, etc. All bought from the same warehouse. The boxes went up to the 14 foot high ceiling and almost totally covered the floor. I was shown a box of Hulk #1's, never opened. I was only 12 in 1978 but they hired me a couple of times to grade and price comics. Once, they called me in to price a collection someone wanted to sell them. It included a full set of Spider-Man, starting with #1. I think they gave me a $200 store credit for that one.

Recycle Books in 1978.jpg

Please tell me you used the $200 credit to buy the box of Hulk #1s.... :wishluck:

On 10/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Please tell me you used the $200 credit to buy the box of Hulk #1s.... :wishluck:

On 10/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Sidebottom had the FF1, Avengers 1, SM 1, Hulk 1 all priced the same, $500 per. At the time, that was over-priced. Also, the credit was at Recycle, not Sidebottom's.