• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Covers of the Silver Age!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, KirbyJack said:

Replaced my copy. Most of Steranko’s Marvel covers would apply here, but this is one of the first I think of!

Yeah, Nick Fury 6 is my favorite Steranko cover as well. I recall him holding court at a con and telling a group of us how it was his homage to Wally Wood's EC sci-fi covers, which you can certainly see. I think it's a masterpiece. 

That being said, it's hard to top Silver Surfer 4!  :cloud9:

On 8/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, PopKulture said:

Yeah, Nick Fury 6 is my favorite Steranko cover as well. I recall him holding court at a con and telling a group of us how it was his homage to Wally Wood's EC sci-fi covers, which you can certainly see. I think it's a masterpiece. 

That being said, it's hard to top Silver Surfer 4!  :cloud9:

I actually prefer Avengers annual 2 to Surfer 4, but it is a magnificent cover.

50 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Showcase #22 by Gil Kane

766427.jpg

Strange Adventures #110 by Russ Heath and Jack Adler

746515.jpg

When I see DC Silver Age covers the thing I keep feeling, over and over, is that they would be 100x better if they just eliminated the words and let the art speak.  Just imagine these two books with no text, a la House of Secrets #92.

Their practice of putting the (universally unremarkable) story titles on the cover was bad enough -- but at least these two covers didn't do that other thing the DC editors couldn't resist, namely having word balloons where the characters tediously over-explain the action taking place.

I've thought this was a classic from the first time I saw it. I bought the copy below and nice raw copy in Chicago a few weeks ago. The buddy I went there with had seen the cover before, but never read the story. He texted me 2 days ago after having read it and was floored at how good of a read it was!!! A great all around issue!!!

Sub-Mariner 14 9.6 w front.jpg

I've always appreciated the amount of effort put into this cover and to me, it stands out due to the background detail. A lot of artists might have simply just plopped the two figures onto a blue sky or a solid color background with very little detail, but Romita went above and beyond creating a landscape that always makes my eyes want to pour over and absorb it at greater length than many other covers. 

Amazing Spider-Man 64 9.6 w mine.jpg

So many Avengers covers seem cluttered with what I'd imagine was their desire to fit every member on the covers, but THIS one (the 1st appearance of the Invaders) seems classic-worthy in it's clean design, while still featuring six Marvel heroes.

Avengers 71 9.6 w front.jpg

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

Perhaps not a "classic" in most people's eyes, but this cover blew me away when I bought it!!! The artist did a tremendous job on this painted cover, in my opinion anyway. 

There are so many great painted covers from the 60's by Dell and Gold Key. They remind me of mini-movie posters from the 50's.   (thumbsu