• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Covers of the Silver Age!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, PopKulture said:

There are so many great painted covers from the 60's by Dell and Gold Key. They remind me of mini-movie posters from the 50's.   (thumbsu

I completely agree!!! I am guilty of having a tunnel vision type of focus at times, which has made quite a few other Silver Age publishers fall by the wayside. I'm enjoying discovering them these days!!!

12 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Are you sure Tom Palmer inked the cover? GCD suggests Dan Adkins.

I personally am not sure who inked the cover, as I went by the information supplied on the CGC label. Which one is right? I don't know. Maybe someone out there reading this has a copy of Marvel Masterwork Doctor Strange volume 3 and can see what Marvel lists as the cover inker, if they in fact DO list an inker. Also, Tom Palmer is still alive, so perhaps someone knows how to contact him and could ask him. 

On 9/10/2019 at 4:11 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Perhaps not a "classic" in most people's eyes, but this cover blew me away when I bought it!!! The artist did a tremendous job on this painted cover, in my opinion anyway. 

Air War Stories 3 9.8 ow-w file copy front.jpg

The first three issues of Air War Stories have great painted covers.  They blew me away as a kid, too.

GCD has Vic Prezio as the painter of this cover.  The first two could have been Prezio as well (?).

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Here's a very cool, little spoken about cover that seems to miss most collectors radar, perhaps since it's from a reprint title. I like this cover very much!

Marvel Tales 12 7.5 front.jpg

Who did that cover -- John Buscema?

Spidey's head and leg definitely look like an attempt to imitate Ditko.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

30 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Who did that cover -- John Buscema?

Spidey's head and leg definitely look like an attempt to imitate Ditko.

According to GCD:

Pencils
Pencils: Steve Ditko; John Romita; John Verpoorten ?  
Inks
Inks: Steve Ditko; John Romita; John Verpoorten ? 

The cover is a composite of the Spider-Man figure from the cover of The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel, 1962 series) #17 and the Green Goblin figure from the cover of The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel, 1962 series) #39.Additional background art likely by John Verpoorten.

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

The first three issues of Air War Stories have great painted covers.  They blew me away as a kid, too.

GCD has Vic Prezio as the painter of this cover.  The first two could have been Prezio as well (?).

Having recently gotten this issue, I'm now looking for others from this run in that grade range. I don't know anything about Vic Prezio, in fact, I don't recall ever hearing/seeing the name before today. Well, he did a heck of a job on that cover!!! 

2 hours ago, telerites said:

According to GCD:

Pencils
Inks

The cover is a composite of the Spider-Man figure from the cover of The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel, 1962 series) #17 and the Green Goblin figure from the cover of The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel, 1962 series) #39.Additional background art likely by John Verpoorten.

Thank you -- that makes perfect sense and it's easily confirmed by peeking at those two ASM covers.

2 hours ago, telerites said:

According to GCD:

Pencils
Inks

This makes a whole lotta sense! I thought the Spidey figure looked like the one from AS 17 and the Goblin looked like the figure from AS 39, but I never had them all out at the same time to compare them. Good ol' GCD comes through with the info (with an assist from telerites, of course ;)(thumbsu

Looking thru my Rawhide Kid run, this issue appears to have had more attention paid to detail and I'd guess took longer than many other covers in the run to draw. The 1st appearance of the (western) Scorpion may have had something to do with that. At any rate, Larry Lieber puts in extra effort to deliver the goods on this cover.

Rawhide Kid 57 9.2 ow-w front.jpg

11 hours ago, telerites said:

According to GCD:

Pencils
Inks

The positioning of both characters are different than the originals. Are they saying that Ditko redrew them on the cover? It looks like someone did

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

The positioning of both characters are different than the originals. Are they saying that Ditko redrew them on the cover? It looks like someone did

No, Ditko was long gone by 1968.  Someone basically cut and pasted the figures from the other two covers (Spidey from #17, Goblin from #39) and did some additional artwork (the skyline) to make the new cover.

38 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No, Ditko was long gone by 1968.  Someone basically cut and pasted the figures from the other two covers (Spidey from #17, Goblin from #39) and did some additional artwork (the skyline) to make the new cover.

The figures are not exactly the same as in the original covers.