• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Covers of the Silver Age!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

The figures are not exactly the same as in the original covers. 

I'm not looking at them side by side, nor am I intimately familiar with the process involved, but I'm pretty sure they could have taken the figures from the original art and tweaked them a bit -- certainly repositioning and rotating them would be trivial, as we are likely talking about cutting and pasting in the literal sense of those words, and then an inker could make further adjustments if desired.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not looking at them side by side, nor am I intimately familiar with the process involved, but I'm pretty sure they could have taken the figures from the original art and tweaked them a bit -- certainly repositioning and rotating them would be trivial, as we are likely talking about cutting and pasting in the literal sense of those words, and then an inker could make further adjustments if desired.

Yep.  That's a Ditko Spidey and a Romita Goblin composite.  A similar thing was done a couple months earlier on Marvel Collectors' Item Classics #12, where interior images of a FF story were used for the main image of a composite cover, with additional art as needed by bullpener John V.

:gossip:  I recognized the images even way back in the day, when I bought these books off the stands.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one. :D

Edited by Unca Ben

On 8/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, Mmehdy said:

Yes, it really started with FF! and by the time it hit #4 we knew something was different as it took 3-1 trading to get an early FF...there was generation ahead of me about 13/15...I was 5...and FF and AF15-Hulk @1 really created a stir among collectors. 6 years old, I keep my collection in a box and would bring the box to other kids who collected but again I knew the 13 year olds and they really wanted FF1 from me...that was a big deal. By the time FF ANN1, which I still can remember buying with my late mother at a drug store in San Bruno  Calif....it was amazing and again Marvel and to some extent DC were creating some incredible stuff. I don't think anything created such a stir in the community until the tales from the crypt paperback came out...Where did these come from.....it took me a couple of years to figure out there were from EC comics. At the time, we had a collectors book store which I went in when I was 10..and at the time they were looking for "EC"s" I said what was that...the second paperback book I bought was tales from the incredible...and that was even better...a great time when you had the time...not 200 channels to entertain and movie news was just fading out.

Mitch's story and mine are similar. As a kid I mostly bought DC War and the Batman titles. Then one day, I saw Amazing Spiderman #3 on the stands. Bought it, took it home and it changed comics as I knew them. I just kept buying it as well as FF4, Hulk and X-Men. Never started out to be a "collector" but would trade with other neighborhood kids for earlier issues I didn't have until I got them all.

What got me truly collecting was MAD. My grandpa bought me #72 and I was hooked. I really went after the back issues with a passion. I had #1-71 to find. Wasn't as easy back then. Garage sales, friends, neighbors, used book stores and swap meets. What really changed is when I bought #9 at Cherokee books for $3. I had never paid more than cover price (or less) for any of them. I was hooked and became a real "collector" at that point. Everything else rolled in after that...

I remember those EC paperbacks too Mitch. As well as Inside MAD with all the little pictures of the early issues on the cover.