• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage gives a shout out to Mitch Mehdy .. sort of.
1 1

29 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bernie-krigstein-impact-1-complete-8-page-story-master-race-original-art-ec-1955-andlt-total-8-/p/7192-118001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The story was the cover feature for Impact #1, one of EC's "New Direction" wave of books. It was also singled out as hugely important when EC's original artwork was initially being sold by Bill Gaines in the 1980s. It was the only artwork sold directly rather than at auction, as an astute collector made Gaines "an offer he couldn't refuse"... well high over market-based value on what other EC art had been selling for at the time!

There you have it - Mitch is an "astute collector"!  He paid $5,000 directly to Russ, if I recall correctly.

My question for Mitch:  Who did you sell the art too? 

This story is, for me, the biggest original art grail still in existence.

Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Bernie Krigstein Impact #...

Edited by sfcityduck

Confirmed to Donnelly's and I gave them time payments. Dont get me wrong, the story is great, but having it and hanging it are two different things, kind of a negative vibe and its the thing where you have to be there to understand that over time and not the first month...and strangers who are not in the comic book world think you are...at least back them some kind of..you know what I mean.....It is a great story, but I dont regret selling it at all, but I should of gone for my gut instict first choice...there were two stories back then that I wanted, but this one I felt would be easier to obtain since its a new direction story. If anybody wants to guess what was the "other one"...which I regret to this day.....I will confirm it if you guess it. Don't know 100% if I could of got that one...it might of been a bit more $$$ knowing me nothing would of stopped me....Comic book/Art and Pin Up was and still is my passion.

Edited by Mmehdy

22 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Confirmed to Donnelly's and I gave them time payments. Dont get me wrong, the story is great, but having it and hanging it are two different things, kind of a negative vibe and its the thing where you have to be there to understand that over time and not the first month...and strangers who are not in the comic book world think you are...at least back them some kind of..you know what I mean.....It is a great story, but I dont regret selling it at all, but I should of gone for my gut instict first choice...there were two stories back then that I wanted, but this one I felt would be easier to obtain since its a new direction story. If anybody wants to guess what was the "other one"...which I regret to this day.....I will confirm it if you guess it. Don't know 100% if I could of got that one...it might of been a bit more $$$ knowing me nothing would of stopped me....Comic book/Art and Pin Up was and still is my passion.

I remember you explaining why you sold the book on past threads.  Makes perfect sense.  Still, I'd love to own it.  

24 minutes ago, AJD said:

If it was me wanting a single example of EC original art, it would be the adaptation of Bradbury's The flying machine. It was 6 pages and is in a Cochran reprint...

No but good guess, I give "master" a slight edge over "flying" but I like styles of both, surely a classic especially with RB as the author...come on guys...this story blows away all these....come on..