• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most important villains
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I was havin this argument recently about who the three most important Marvel and DC Villains were (will allow Gold and Bronze Age villains as well) - here is what I came up with - would be interested to here other thoughts 

Marvel (in order):

(1) Dr Doom, (2) Magneto and (3) Thanos 

DC (in order):

(1) Joker, (2) Darkseid and (3) Luthor

I know there will be at least one person arguing for Green Goblin and DCs #3 was a tough choice :) 

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I was havin this argument recently about who the three most important Marvel and DC Villains were (will allow Gold and Bronze Age villains as well) - here is what I came up with - would be interested to here other thoughts 

Marvel (in order):

DC (in order):

I know there will be at least one person arguing for Green Goblin and DCs #3 was a tough choice :) 

The Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages were different in so many ways, as were the generations who read and collected comics during these great comic book eras. So it's not a good idea to compare villains from different ages. That said, each of the villains you mention have, since their inception, gone through periods where they weren't the most popular or "hottest" bad guys. They have however, risen in popularity depending on a storyline (see The Killing Joke or A Death in the Family for Batman), and/or in cases where a villain appears in a comic book film (remember how popular what's his name was in Iron Man 2?). Let me suggest that you reframe the argument with your friends by focusing on the greatest villain for each comic book age:

Joker for the Golden Age

Dr. Doom for the Silver Age

Darkside for the Bronze Age

Keep in mind that it's also really not fair to compare Doom, Darkside, and the Joker to one another because while we do know how incredible they are  during the eras they were created in, we'll never know how the first two villains (Doom and Darkside), would have fared during the ages that preceded their comic book existence.

As for the current age of comic books, will defer to the current generation and who they think are the best villains in Modern or Post-modern comics.

5 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages were different in so many ways, as were the generations who read and collected comics during these great comic book eras. So it's not a good idea to compare villains from different ages.

He's only talking about when they were created. That said, I'm not sure why this thread is in the SA forum. (shrug)

8 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages were different in so many ways, as were the generations who read and collected comics during these great comic book eras. So it's not a good idea to compare villains from different ages. That said, each of the villains you mention have, since their inception, gone through periods where they weren't the most popular or "hottest" bad guys. They have however, risen in popularity depending on a storyline (see The Killing Joke or A Death in the Family for Batman), and/or in cases where a villain appears in a comic book film (remember how popular what's his name was in Iron Man 2?). Let me suggest that you reframe the argument with your friends by focusing on the greatest villain for each comic book age:

Joker for the Golden Age

Dr. Doom for the Silver Age

Darkside for the Bronze Age

Keep in mind that it's also really not fair to compare Doom, Darkside, and the Joker to one another because while we do know how incredible they are  during the eras they were created in, we'll never know how the first two villains (Doom and Darkside), would have fared during the ages that preceded their comic book existence.

As for the current age of comic books, will defer to the current generation and who they think are the best villains in Modern or Post-modern comics.

Points taken all around - and I agree hard to compare across ages, but a villain like the Joker or Doom or Magneto have stood the test of time. I could care less what is popular in movies I am talking for the hobby as a whole and villains like this are iconic IMO - as are Darkseid and Thanos  

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

He's only talking about when they were created. That said, I'm not sure why this thread is in the SA forum. (shrug)

Ya maybe not the best place for it - I just figured the Silver forum is quite active and i Spend most my time here reading. But perhaps it is more a comics general question. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Agree with you that this isn't the best place for this thread but it's not clear whether he's referring to when they were created. 

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Points taken all around - and I agree hard to compare across ages, but a villain like the Joker or Doom or Magneto have stood the test of time. I could care less what is popular in movies I am talking for the hobby as a whole and villains like this are iconic IMO - as are Darkseid and Thanos  

I'm with you on the role movies have on comic book characters. Also agree with you on these characters standing the test of time. Always fun to have debates about these topics.

1. The Mindworm

2. The Grizzly

3. The Rocket Racer

What!

They really important.  And The Mindworm had a really big head.  

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

1. The Mindworm

2. The Grizzly

3. The Rocket Racer

1. Paste Pot Pete (he had paste)

2. Baldini of The Exiles (he’d hit you with his scarf)

3. El Toro (his special hat had little horns on it)

8 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

1. Paste Pot Pete (he had paste)

2. Baldini of The Exiles (he’d hit you with his scarf)

3. El Toro (his special hat had little horns on it)

I was sure I'd nailed it, but I fear you have usurped me KJ hm

On 9/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, Chillax23 said:

Marvel (in order):

DC (in order):

You seem to have forgotten Asbestos Man.  You might want to reorder your Marvels.

Strange Tales #111.jpg