• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping your collection private
4 4

204 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I enjoy hearing from other collectors and will respond to most inquiries, as I would hope others would do the same for me.  Even if you don't reach a deal now, maybe down the road they will inquire on some other art - or have art I am interested in.  It really is a small hobby. :D

Absolutely. If the inquiry is legitimate, I always engage in conversation. I have made some great contacts this way - many of which have not led to art acquisitions. 

14 hours ago, Tony D said:

This Amazing Spider-Man #23 page is not in my CAF gallery and is not for sale. I have resisted posting it in the past because I didn't want to field posts asking me if it was for sale.610801763_20180202_145710(1).thumb.jpg.9378fb914d7a705edf095daf63007d1d.jpg

In typical CAF fashion... I believe this is from issue #22, not #23.  You should sell it to me because it's not from issue #23. Because it's from issue #22 it's not really worth that much.  In fact, I'm not even sure if I want it. Who likes clowns anyways? Well, if you beg me to buy it from you I will consider it. Actually, you'll have to pay for the postage too. I am such a nice guy to do you the favor of carrying the burden of dealing with you and your so-so art. :baiting:

27 minutes ago, Timely said:

In typical CAF fashion... I believe this is from issue #22, not #23.  You should sell it to me because it's not from issue #23. Because it's from issue #22 it's not really worth that much.  In fact, I'm not even sure if I want it. Who likes clowns anyways? Well, if you beg me to buy it from you I will consider it. Actually, you'll have to pay for the postage too. I am such a nice guy to do you the favor of carrying the burden of dealing with you and your so-so art. :baiting:

Don't know about CAF . . . I think you just might have scared him off posting on CGC  ;)

On the topic of fielding offers, I just discovered the button on Heritage that allows you to view all offers made within the comic category. The number of accepted offers was low. In fact, I saw only 1 in my quick glance and that was at a loss for the seller (oddly enough).

31 minutes ago, cstojano said:

On the topic of fielding offers, I just discovered the button on Heritage that allows you to view all offers made within the comic category. The number of accepted offers was low. In fact, I saw only 1 in my quick glance and that was at a loss for the seller (oddly enough).

I once got an offer on OA I won at HA. I accepted, but the "offerer" disappeared and did not follow through..

Malvin

2 minutes ago, malvin said:

I once got an offer on OA I won at HA. I accepted, but the "offerer" disappeared and did not follow through..

Malvin

Geez, even further destroying lack of faith in the system. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about putting an offer in but feel the entire process is fruitless so don't bother. 

I posted the page because I saw that there are reasons to share it with others. The trepidation I experienced about posting it on  CAF was not because of interaction with other collectors but with those who would like to buy it for a quick resale profit. Some can be very persistent. I felt that I didn't need to subject myself to an onslaught of emails regarding the page.

4 minutes ago, Tony D said:

I posted the page because I saw that there are reasons to share it with others. The trepidation I experienced about posting it on  CAF was not because of interaction with other collectors but with those who would like to buy it for a quick resale profit. Some can be very persistent. I felt that I didn't need to subject myself to an onslaught of emails regarding the page.

I kind of agree, Tony.  I've released a few pieces over the years as a result of enquiries that I've since regretted.  Some people can be very persistent . . .

2 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

Maybe the art I collect (CAF) is not popular enough but I do not get swamped with purchasing requests about pieces from my collection. Those I do get have always been polite. Frankly I do not see why fear of even abundant buying requests would be a problem, you can just ignore them.

And doesn't persistence actually make it easier to keep the piece. The more people ask, the more likely I am NOT to sell it because of the (stupid, maybe) psychology of owning something other people want. 

2 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

Maybe the art I collect (CAF) is not popular enough but I do not get swamped with purchasing requests about pieces from my collection. Those I do get have always been polite. Frankly I do not see why fear of even abundant buying requests would be a problem, you can just ignore them.

I am, unfortunately I suppose, a victim of my upbringing and was taught that it is impolite and disrespectful to ignore someone.

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

I just made an offer on HA a few weeks ago that was accepted & sold to me.

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

I get this. There is a line that can be crossed in terms of how you try to buy a piece of art that is NFS. IF someone crosses the line, they get the wall (ie blocked). The line differs for everyone but all should be comfortable throwing up the wall if/when the line is crossed. 

3 hours ago, cstojano said:

Wait a minute, what button?

59 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Wait a minute, what button?

It is the View Recent Offers on Sold Items button located under the Green Make an Offer button on closed listings for which the new owner is actively participating. For some reason I never noticed it. 

On the first page of listings, which granted only goes back to Sept 11 (but there are still MANY offers listed here) I only see one accepted.

In fact, there are 160 Rejected, 39 Pending, and 1 Accepted offer in the comic category since Sept 11.

Edited by cstojano

2 hours ago, Tony D said:

I am, unfortunately I suppose, a victim of my upbringing and was taught that it is impolite and disrespectful to ignore someone.

I get that, and at one time also felt that ignoring someone was impolite. However the all too numerous telephone salesman and robo calls has taught me that ignoring is not rudeness when the caller is in fact being rude by frequently intruding on my time. That said I have always answered CAF request politely as they have been not been too numerous and always polite.

I think my solution if I were receiving persistent requests/offers  on a piece (not likely with my poor taste) would be to put something in the description like: "If you are seriously interested in this page I won't even respond to any offers below $X"

X=2(DBROSVALUATION)+FMV

:idea:

36 minutes ago, cstojano said:

It is the View Recent Offers on Sold Items button located under the Green Make an Offer button on closed listings for which the new owner is actively participating. For some reason I never noticed it. 

On the first page of listings, which granted only goes back to Sept 11 (but there are still MANY offers listed here) I only see one accepted.

In fact, there are 160 Rejected, 39 Pending, and 1 Accepted offer in the comic category since Sept 11.

Found it, I too never noticed this list lol It's a really cool feature, I have always wondered how much offer activity there was on HA. So thanks for bringing it up!

Also it looks like the list goes back forever. 9/11 is just the end of the first page of offers.

16 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I think my solution if I were receiving persistent requests/offers  on a piece (not likely with my poor taste) would be to put something in the description like: "If you are seriously interested in this page I won't even respond to any offers below $X"

X=2(DBROSVALUATION)+FMV

:idea:

On one particular piece of art, I saw the description "This is not for sale.  Do not contact me, I won't respond."

I can see why some are persistent though.  I have seen art listed as NFS and then when I ask where the art went, I was told it was sold by someone making an offer.  This has happened quite a bit.  

I usually try to answer but sometimes I'm too busy.