• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping your collection private
4 4

204 posts in this topic

I had an interesting discussion today with other collectors about keeping their collections private. Whether it be posting on CAF, other website or social media, more and more people are keeping their collections underground.

The most common reasons I’ve heard include not having to respond to people writing them to sell, and making a collection “fresh to market” when the time comes to sell.

I know many here who keep what they own to themselves. I can understand and appreciate both sides of the coin. What are you thoughts about collecting this way?

I have an extremely modest collection, and it isn't posted on any CAF or CAF-like site. I have posted a few photos here on the boards, but that's it - I've not posted anything anywhere else, it just hasn't been a priority... and I don't even own a scanner. This behavior has no connection to any type of 'fresh to market' logic, since, as I've said the collection is very modest, especially by board standards.

I have been asking this question to every collector and dealer I speak to.  This is my opinion as of now.

I am not as experienced a collector as many of you.  However I don't necessarily agree with the "fresh to market" thing on better pieces.  For example, if David Mandel decides to put up one of his posted pieces for auction like the Daredevil 181 or any number of his great pieces, it's still going for a lot with no shortage of bidders.  I'm glad he has posted his collection and has shared them with the museum in Seattle.  He owns a piece that I would like to have so I know that I don't have to waste my time looking for it.   From his point of view, perhaps if he got a really high offer for it he would sell it.   So there is some advantage of sharing it.  

I didn't think I would ever sell any of my art but I am changing my mind as my tastes change.  I'm not in a hurry to sell anything but if a good offer came up I would sell.  Sharing my collection would make this possible.

I've bought a few items that I really wanted from previous posters who removed their art, but I remembered who owned them and I wrote to them years later.  They had no plans to sell but I made them good offers.  Maybe it's possible they would have had even better offers if the pieces were public.  

I've seen the joking on the message boards on how something might sell at a Heritage Auction and then a dealer will buy it and flip it for more pretty quickly.  So it is not fresh to market after it sold at Heritage, but the price goes up a short time later in the hands of a dealer.  

If there is a random average piece, like the cover to Action Comics 672 (I have no idea what that is, I picked it at random but am a fan), and it is floating around to be sold by a dealer for years, I don't think its not selling just because it's around, but because there wasn't that great demand as it is.  

Also I think like many people, there is added joy when others can share in the same joy and see the amazing things that we see.  

I went to a fancy charity lunch recently.  I met a really rich guy and his wife.  He collects Old Masters paintings.  He travels to the big auction in New York and London every year, and he hangs out with the other collectors that he has gotten to know in each city.  It really changed my opinion about collecting art and sharing with others and finding community of people who enjoy the same things that you do.

Edited by Peter L

I don't know, maybe it's more for the second teir of stuff that it matters if it's fresh to market?

The good stuff will always find crazy money.  Do you think anything in Dave Mandel's gallery has lost value because it's been on caf?

That said, I guess it's the old adage of why take the risk?  Not showing it publicly won't hurt the value, but showing it might.  So protect your investment.

All of that said, I've had most of my collection in caf at one time or another, but I also have a minor collection, compared to most around here.

Some other thoughts on this that I forgot to mention.  A few dealers mentioned to me that it is better to post because then sellers or dealers will often approach you on what you might be interested in.  I have found this to be true and people have approached me to sell things.  One artist private messaged me just to tell me he was going to put a famous work of his to auction in case I was interested.

Also sharing the collection gave me more credibility when making deals with people.

I've always posted all of my art on CAF over the years. The positive aspects of doing so have always worked heavily in my favour.  The (lesser) negative aspects are that sometimes I've been talked into releasing some examples that in retrospect I should have held onto longer. 

I can see how the 'fresh to market' school of thought works for some, even if it's not something I would subscribe to.  After the initial furore dies down, such art will eventually lose its freshness - though the very best examples will always be in demand.

I don't mind showing my art. I don't think it 'hurts' it. In fact, people will sometimes say, 'hey I've looked at the piece for years-- I'd like to make an offer on it!'

People want what they see. They can't do that if they can't see it!

The fresh to market strategy might be good for B+ or A pieces new to market, and help the seller get an A+ price based on a temporary immediacy of the buyer having to have this previously unseen piece-- That strategy doesn't work all the time as we can see on CAF many of those previously unseen pieces 'sprung' on us for sale (at a higher than normal price) still available! 

For regular art, I think showing them is just fine. 

I don't post on CAF because of general privacy concerns. I don't particularly want my preferences so explicitly apparent to a prospective seller, and I certainly don't plan to sell anything. I also know it's a little hypocritical of me because I do like to look at what other people have. So while I will happily post things here if I want to make a point, I'll skip the galleries.

20 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

I don't mind showing my art. I don't think it 'hurts' it. In fact, people will sometimes say, 'hey I've looked at the piece for years-- I'd like to make an offer on it!'

People want what they see. They can't do that if they can't see it!

Thank you for that comment! It just reinforces my preconceived notion of why I don't post the part of my collection that I am not willing to part with! I used to upload all of the art I purchased on CAF but I stopped after a trade.

I traded four pieces of art in my collection for a published painted cover I wanted. I was able to make that deal because a dealer contacted me informing that they really wanted one of those pieces in their collection. I regretted the trade as soon as I got the piece I was to receive. Since then I decided that I would not publish any of the art I own that I am not willing to part with.

I was even more bummed when I saw that even the piece the art dealer said he "wanted for his collection" was put up for sale for a price higher than the piece I obtained in the trade.

No more of that for me! I do share my art with a small group of art collectors that I am a part of and enjoy doing it there because I can feel safe that I won't be hounded to trade or sell my precious pieces. When I die, whoever gets my art (my daughter most probably, can share it, put it on Heritage or just throw it away if she wants) but for the meantime while I'm curating the pieces I won't share them on CAF.

Talking about CAF I hate the part were they ask you were you got your piece of art and the price you paid. I really don't think any one person or organization should have that information so I always write silly stuff there (like one million dollars!, lol)

I struggle with this myself. I don't post my collection for general privacy concerns(at some points have had some pieces on caf and I share with Collectors I know would appreciate a piece), similar to how I don't post my private life onto social media. At the same time I view CAF almost daily and semi regularly follow what people I know are doing on social media, so I might be a complete hypocrite!

As far as fresh to market goes, I think it matters not on A/A+ stuff, but might have an effect on lesser material.

Edited by NinjaSealed

I think “fresh to market” is kind of a placebo effect. Something “new” gets more attention and eyeballs. So, if there is any kind of price bump is merely a function of more people being aware that it’s suddenly for sake. Stuff that’s been openly displayed for years going on sale is not going to suddenly increase buyer awareness. It’s alreafy built in. 

I think if a piece is desirable, it will sell at its value, regardless. 

i know it is hypocritical of me not to post most of my collection, but some of my best pieces are just "special" to me and I like to keep them private.  I posted a representative sample of my collection to give a flavor of what I collect in the hopes that I would attract sellers of similar art.

Just now, inovrmihd said:

i know it is hypocritical of me not to post most of my collection, but some of my best pieces are just "special" to me and I like to keep them private.  I posted a representative sample of my collection to give a flavor of what I collect in the hopes that I would attract sellers of similar art.

I have posted anything “new” in my CAF gallery for quite some time. I think people are choosing other venues, like Facebook, to do that more than previously. 

2 hours ago, timguerrero said:

I traded four pieces of art in my collection for a published painted cover I wanted. I was able to make that deal because a dealer contacted me informing that they really wanted one of those pieces in their collection. I regretted the trade as soon as I got the piece I was to receive. Since then I decided that I would not publish any of the art I own that I am not willing to part with.

I was even more bummed when I saw that even the piece the art dealer said he "wanted for his collection" was put up for sale for a price higher than the piece I obtained in the trade.

For all it's worth, a dealer "deals." That is, he/she wants to make money. I would be reluctant to consider any proposed swap by a dealer because I would assume they were suggesting something more advantegous to their needs than my own, and including an allowance for profit. I would also expect them to have more knowledge than I do about actual market conditions. Can there be exceptions? Sure, but they would be the exceptions, not the rule.