• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Collection: Golden Age Single Owner DC Timely Quality MLJ etc

53 posts in this topic

Hey Bob,

Both are certainly believable. What I am wondering though is HOW you could even Misgrade and list and sell and send without even noticing it?

I respond to all kinds of emails all the time - i have to get them first.

some times there is a delay when i go out of state to set up at some comicon

And maybe 1 out of 100 orders, some one sends something back

This particular batch of books was over 12,000 hi grade never before read mostly bronze age books out of Detroit about 4-5 years ago - multiple copies of many issues - like 80 copies of Swamp Thing #1, 50 each of New Gods #1, Forever People #1, Mr Miracle #1, etc

Myself and a couple helpers spent weeks bagging and boarding this mother load

Bob Storm, Harley Yee and others bought out of this batch

there are now about 2000 of them left

out of 12,000+ hi grades, i am sure a few slipped thru the system

this tear that has now been mentioned is brand new news to me

does anyone really think i send out stuff some one is not going to like on purpose?

that sure is great for repeat biz

any problems i get to when i am here in Fremont

Hey Bob,

You should go and edit your message listing all the emails as you have the paypal email which lists Rocketeer's mailing address where anyone reading the boards can see.

Darren

Hi Darren

this insufficiently_thoughtful_person never contacted me there was a problem with two books out of a stack purchased in April - maybe he had a problem with every book, i do not know

I always stand behind my sales to collectors - most of whom i count as long time friends, in some instances stretching back several decades.

two months later, i post some more stuff for sale and here he is out of the blue demanding a refund $20 more than what was sent, saying i never got back with him when, if fact, he never contacted me in the first place until yesterday in this public forum, which i find more than a bit disingenuous

i had to do some digging into my computer archive to figure out who "Rocketeer" is in real life as that was many hundreds of sales ago - and it is a bit rough on the ol brain to keep it all memorized.

All that needed to be done was contact me, request to return any/all items, no reason has to be given, as it states in all my catalogs for years now,and ship them back.

In the case of damage caused by post office, i ask that the original mailing envelope materials be sent back to me as well to better press any postal insurance claim.

anybody accuses me of mail order fraud had better be prepared to be spot light identified as i write these words, saying once again - if you do not like a purchase, simply return it for a refund. I do not need to know a reason why, other than you were not happy with your purchase. About one of out 100 packages i send out has some thing sent back.

He specifically stated he had sent me emails (pural) i had not responded to - which is not true - there is nothing from his email address here sent after April 26 nor under the PM function inside MY HOME, the day PayPal registered his money transfer and he also apologzed for typing my email address wrong to PayPal in his first attempt

instead, here we are, playing games, so be it

I work hard at my comics business - and EVERY dealer makes mistakes - even CGC

as long as i maintain a 99% ratio of satisfied collectors buying stuff from me, that is ultimately OK - and i work at rectifying the other 1%

i also wish most of the collectors here would use their real names so i know who the hell i am talking to -

sincerely

robert beerbohm

tonofbricks.gif

Bob,

Are you going to be in San Diego? I got that scan of the Black Terror #4 that you emailed me, and I might want to take a look at it at the show if you're going to be there.

Jeff

Obviously there was a mistake made here, and I think the best way to handle it is to only air it publicly if there is an absolute necessity to. I can understand why JD would be upset... but I agree that there is probably a more diplomatic way to resolve the problem:

and i will ignore your last comment - i have been in this hobby since 1967

Bob, I'm not specifically targetting this at you, but I hate when dealers make comments like this. Just because you (again, not you specifically) have been a dealer for a long time doesn't certify you as honest, qualified at grading or someone who has automatic credentials. Case in point: Richie Muchin. So when I see statements like this I just cringe... so what?

Now, the reason I'm not spouting off about bob beerbohm is because (although I have to admit your rep for spotty grading has been talked about for years) he does have a reputation for honesty and integrity that is also almost universal, and the idea that he somehow would try and cheat somebody is to me, unfathomable.

Bob,

Are you going to be in San Diego? I got that scan of the Black Terror #4 that you emailed me, and I might want to take a look at it at the show if you're going to be there.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I have been to every San Diego Comicon since the first one in 1970, so to answer that query, "yes", i will be there. Booth 5414, right at the B section door entrance on the right hand side - Metropolis is at the B door on the left side

There are people emailing me for scans -and i am going to try real hard to sell this (and other) book(s) prior to me leaving out July 8 (Friday) first for the set up at a Kansas City show, then head out Fri night for the west coast, to arrive in San Diego by Monday morning for the early Tuesday load in. During the set up scenario, lots of stuff gets sold during this "dealer" time.

As you can see, it is a nice copy, very flat, staples tight, no spine stress marks, colors bright, paper supple, nice Schomburg War cover - there is a bit of roughness in the lower right corner as you can see in the scan

i just put out a lot of money buying these books and will turn some of them over prior to leaving - am putting travel money together at this stage

best

robert

Obviously there was a mistake made here, and I think the best way to handle it is to only air it publicly if there is an absolute necessity to. I can understand why JD would be upset... but I agree that there is probably a more diplomatic way to resolve the problem:

and i will ignore your last comment - i have been in this hobby since 1967

Bob, I'm not specifically targetting this at you, but I hate when dealers make comments like this. Just because you (again, not you specifically) have been a dealer for a long time doesn't certify you as honest, qualified at grading or someone who has automatic credentials. Case in point: Richie Muchin. So when I see statements like this I just cringe... so what?

Now, the reason I'm not spouting off about bob beerbohm is because (although I have to admit your rep for spotty grading has been talked about for years) he does have a reputation for honesty and integrity that is also almost universal, and the idea that he somehow would try and cheat somebody is to me, unfathomable.

Hello Foolkiller

Most of my books get graded OK, and EVERYONE makes a mistake here & there leading to differences of opinion. Some times one might miss a centerfold missing, but only every once in a while. Heck, CGC has been known to both under and over grade some of the books which comes thru their doors.

These days i use a 3 power pair of "cheaters" I bought at Wallmart when i grade, as having hit 53 yrs old this year, my former 20/20 "top gun" vision is slipping a bit. Defects i was not seeing become easier to see now, this past year or so. I have them constantly we me at shows these days.

For any one to imply i pass stuff out the door on purpose (and do not care) they will not like is simply wrong.

Some times some of the books get comicon wear

did i notice this tear on that JLA when i shipped it? of course not. otherwise it would not have shipped. did i cringe a bit when it was pointed out to me? of course - and i still did not see it on the scan originally until prompter to do so.

that is a failing of eyes getting older - not doing something on purpose

but i have sought to fix that by basicly by using a magnifying glass to see stress bends better.

That JLA was bagged & boarded a couple years ago, chances not by me and got missed when priced while processing out of this 12,000 copy deal i scored out of Detroit i mentioned previously.

I do not closely examine every single 1970s book i process though i try to when coming out of "never before read" speculator holdings of "recent" stuff. I do closely examine, count pages, look for writing inside, coupons clipped, etc on older comics

Am i embarressed about it? you betcha

was it on purpose

emphatic no

could this have been fixed back in April when the purchase was made

definitely

chances are i might even have a dup on it which could be exchanged - i would have to check

but no attempt was made to contact me regarding this until this week, two months later

is the refund/exchange offer still on the table?

i stand behind my sales, unless i think i am being scammed - and i have had collectors buy a high grade and try shipping back their different slightly lesser copy - more than a couple times. I have 300 dpi scans of a lot of stuff i mail out on high ticket items for that very reason

like any other person, i seek to make happy camper customers, who then want to come back and dip in my comics well over and over.

yes

robert beerbohm

Bob,

Sorry to see that some people lack the professionalism and courtesy to handle disputes privately before taking them public. I for one have bought several books from you and have been pleased every time. And keep on posting to these boards. I find your posts on the origins of collections and of the hobby itself to be highly interesting.

Hi Brian

What gets me is as far as my e-library of all business emails go i keep in files inside my iMac goes, there was zero attempt to notify me to at least say something like, "hey yo-yo, you sent me a comic book with a tear on the cover as well as one with a stress spine bend NEAR something and i don't like it. I want to return them"

i always say "yes"

for the past 9 years or so my focus has been comics history research once i figured out that so many of our history books about our field were plain wrong - some of the fruits of those labors have shown up as history intro articles in Overstreet, pushing the concept of the American comic book in real terms back to 1842. It heartens one's soul to know that at least a few collectors have read that research.

There has been surprising resistance accepting the proof of when the comics business began in America as presented in the Victorian Era section of the Overstreet which i have evolved therein since late 1996 with the first of these concise histories growing from that initial 15 pages to 66 pages in the new Guide.

The drive by shooter John tried to make hay out of me being an Overstreet "advisor" which they placed me in that category due to all my research i share with collectors regarding pre famous Funnies type comics material one finds in the Victorian and Platinum price indxes i compile.

I do not submit "market reports" on comic books from the mid 1930s up. I fiind a lot of that reportage to be self-serving in many instances. Some report some stuff as "hot" or "dead" - and in many insatnces i find no problem selling obscure older comics what other dealer collector types view as junk because they do not read the contents of what they own.

To me, regarding condition and grading, white paper is way more important than spine stress bends. I would rather have a book with white paper and showing signs of having been read than an unread looking copy which is browning out from maybe having had heat hit it some summer decades ago which causes the sulfur content of the pulp paper to begin breaking down.

But for any one to think that a member of comics collecting fandom with as many decades of involvement as i have to think that i would send out something to burn some one else is in fantasy land

best

robert beerbohm.

Bob,

Sorry to see that some people lack the professionalism and courtesy to handle disputes privately before taking them public. I for one have bought several books from you and have been pleased every time. And keep on posting to these boards. I find your posts on the origins of collections and of the hobby itself to be highly interesting.

thumbsup2.gif

you sent me a comic book with a tear on the cover as well as one with a stress spine bend NEAR something and i don't like it. I want to return them"

...it was actually about 12 major spine stresses on that book,...tear on the cover and corner folds on the other,....and comparable damage on the other three not scanned

i always say "yes"

...Well good then!,...I already gave up on you and donated my books to comics4kidz,...but there is another forum member who has been consulting with me for the last two months,...he returned his books to you over a month ago , and despite his e-mails to you and phone calls , you have yet to open up your purse and return his money,...you now have his money and your books,...doesn't get much better than that does it Bob?...and he doesn't wish for me to disclose his name, but I'm sure you know who it is....please keep us updated as to when he is to expect that refund you are always so happy to give...

To me, regarding condition and grading, white paper is way more important than spine stress bends. I would rather have a book with white paper and showing signs of having been read than an unread looking copy which is browning out from maybe having had heat hit it some summer decades ago which causes the sulfur content of the pulp paper to begin breaking down.

...Wonderful,..then perhaps you should limit your sales to Victorian books, since the majority of dealers and collectors do consider multiple spine stresses, tears, and folds to be important components when purchasing books advertised as NM,...and it only leads to confusion when we have to factor in the important things that you consider paramount in a NM book,...

But for any one to think that a member of comics collecting fandom with as many decades of involvement as i have to think that i would send out something to burn some one else is in fantasy land

....Then I guess that makes me the Mayor of Fantasyland,....

Best,

JD