• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grade is in ! PGM X-Men 1

24 posts in this topic

Thanks again for the expertise everyone and all opinions are welcome. This one presents very well and in person it looks much better than the photos. I used flash and angles to help bring out the flaws so that i could give everyone a true perspective. The main flaws that i will help point out is there is a crease in the bottom right that angles across the corner of the book but doesnt go all the way to the edge. I took a very good angle shot of this to bring it out. There is a small touch of color break where maybe a finger impression was used right above the crease and there is a tear on the right side edge of the cover that i took close up photos of. Its about or a little less than the length of a staple. The spine and book are attached beautifully and as tight as the day it was made. The colors are deep and there is very minimum wear to the cover or the back. They both look very fresh. I will defer at this point to the experts and allow you guys to form your opinions from the photos and the description. Thank you again !

DSC_6777.JPG

DSC_6783.JPG

DSC_6784.JPG

DSC_6786.JPG

DSC_6781.JPG

DSC_6793.JPG

DSC_6787.JPG

DSC_6796.JPG

DSC_6798.JPG

DSC_6799.JPG

DSC_6804.JPG

DSC_6805.JPG

DSC_6806.JPG

DSC_6809.JPG

DSC_6812.JPG

DSC_6823.JPG

DSC_6836.JPG

DSC_6837.JPG

DSC_6844.JPG

DSC_6848.JPG

DSC_6852.JPG

DSC_6853.JPG

DSC_6854.JPG

DSC_6855.JPG

DSC_6856.JPG

Edited by Lamborghinikid

I’m good with doing anything that will help the book. It has a few small thumb waves from where the book was read through the years so I will probably have it pressed.  I’m going to drop the book off in person to cgc and I’m hoping they will advise me on that. From what you see , would you press it ? 

From what I have read , it’s called a distributor mark and it’s considered part of production? I took a picture of the inside pages because they have that red ink mark at the top of the page as well. It says that comic distributors used the ink to designate when their expiration time would expire ? It’s how vendors would know when to take them down and put new books out. A few of my other books have the same thing in different colors like blue and greenish color. It’s like they marked the pages from the top side with some type of color. The spot on the front cover is from them marking it for whatever that process is for. I’m sure others here can give much better insight than I can. I truly appreciate the feedback to from everyone. I would be very happy if this book got a 5.5 to a 6.0 grade for sure. I will update this thread as soon as I get it back. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

1 hour ago, Lamborghinikid said:

From what I have read , it’s called a distributor mark and it’s considered part of production? I took a picture of the inside pages because they have that red ink mark at the top of the page as well. It says that comic distributors used the ink to designate when their expiration time would expire ? It’s how vendors would know when to take them down and put new books out. A few of my other books have the same thing in different colors like blue and greenish color. It’s like they marked the pages from the top side with some type of color. The spot on the front cover is from them marking it for whatever that process is for. I’m sure others here can give much better insight than I can. I truly appreciate the feedback to from everyone. I would be very happy if this book got a 5.5 to a 6.0 grade for sure. I will update this thread as soon as I get it back. 

Yes as soon as I saw the inside pages I could tell the stain on the front top was a distributor mark.  They might down grade slightly but they wont be harsh.  I still say 6.0

I’m hoping my assessment was too harsh, and that the grade is higher than 4.5. I was deducting for the stain (which appears to be a production flaw instead), the tear, and the color breaking crease in the right lower corner (I have a particular bias towards creasing). The book really looks nice apart from those defects, and a 5.5 to 6.0 is certainly not out of the question.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Lamborghinikid said:

I’m good with doing anything that will help the book. It has a few small thumb waves from where the book was read through the years so I will probably have it pressed.  I’m going to drop the book off in person to cgc and I’m hoping they will advise me on that. From what you see , would you press it ? 

Because every increment makes a big difference with this book...yes. Pressing should be able to eliminate the finger dents and perhaps give the book a bump in grade...

What do you think this book will get for page color ? As I always , I appreciate all of your assessments on my book. I have a couple of other issues I’m taking to cgc and I would like for you guys to take a look at them. One of them has some chipping and I would love some opinions on how hard they will hit the book for that. Thank you to all who have taken the time to help grade my books.