• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comic grading tier question (noob here)

6 posts in this topic

I tried hunting down a thread that would have already had the answer to my noob question but I couldn't find one. So im just hoping someone could give me a run down real quick if im looking to submit in a few comics for grading. I know the value of the comic (post grading) should outweigh the price of signing up and shipping costs ect. in order for this to be worth it. I do have about 5 comics I think would be worth it. So, I understand I need to sign up for an "Associate Membership" first in order to start sending things in. But then it asks which grading tier... And all of the tiers look very confusing. I guess im looking for the lowest price or the beginner tier? Would I sign up for the "Re-holder Tier" and can someone explain to me exactly what that means or comes with? Also if someone can just break down to me the estimated individual standard charges that comes with sending in a comic, so I can see if it would be worth it or not.

For example: associates membership: 25$, Re holder tier: does this determine how much I have to pay per book? it says 15$?, shipping there: $xx.xx, shipping back: $xx.xx  (grand total is: $xx.xx)

and it says the estimated time is 34 days ill get it back in?  Am I along the right track? Thanks for helping out.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, TwoPiece said:

If they're all printed 1975 and later, then the Modern Tier is your best option, if I'm not mistaken. I'm in the same boat of not having submitted any books myself, yet.

This is correct, unless you want the book valued at more than $200 in which case you would have to pick the appropriate tier based on value.

1 hour ago, Avi said:

This is correct, unless you want the book valued at more than $200 in which case you would have to pick the appropriate tier based on value.

You can submit a book of virtually any value on the value tier, and if the value after grading is significantly above $200 CGC will adjust your category and pricing accordingly.  A guy I know submitted a Tales of Suspense #39 on the value tier and let CGC figure out the grade and whether it had been restored before coming to a final category and price.

Edited by namisgr