• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ten Copies or less, CGC Census, based on OSG value
2 2

134 posts in this topic

My concept for this thread is simple: cut away the chaff, let's see which books are really rare and valuable.

Every book has value and is loved, but that's not what this thread is about. A low to mid-grade GA book valued at $50 isn't likely to get graded even if there are plenty of raw copies floating around. So, when the CGC census indicates there are fewer than 10 copies graded, that doesn't mean the book is rare.  It may only be rare in grade, or perhaps not rare at all, if only high grade copies are deemed worthy of the investment. 

The reality is that a lot of books don't get graded & encapsulated because they aren't valued highly enough in the marketplace to warrant the effort. This thread is an attempt to acknowledge the rarest and most valuable books and, perhaps, correct inaccurate assumptions about the CGC census.  To do this an arbitrary value has to be established as a guideline.  

Let's make this simple: Using current OSG values as the reference point, the minimum value of any 10 or less book in the CGC census has to be $100 in 2.0 (OSG 10 point scale).

By establishing a base value guideline, we can have some degree of correlation between actual rarity and graded books in the CGC census.  

Note: I have books that fit the criterion, but I'd prefer acknowledging other's collected achievements first.  The door is open...

...Well i can't locate my current Overstreet (i'm sure i haven't even taken it out of the Barnes and Noble shopping bag yet :shy: )

But the 2016/2017 edition had the GD value on this one at $245 (pretty sure it hasn't gone down, -sorry Cat, just trying to get the ball rolling). Only 10 copies on the census (2 restored). Ill post more when i locate my current Overstreet to verify GD value. 

Hit Comics #7.jpg

I'd be happy to help here with some simple database queries against both the CGC API and the known sales over the past handful of years. Just need a little clarity...

10 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Let's make this simple: Using current OSG values as the reference point, the minimum value of any 10 or less book in the CGC census has to be $100 in 2.0 (OSG 10 point scale).

Is that all graded copies being 10 or less? Or is it okay to say known Universal graded copies to be 10 or less?

5 hours ago, jhm said:

I'd be happy to help here with some simple database queries against both the CGC API and the known sales over the past handful of years. Just need a little clarity...

Is that all graded copies being 10 or less? Or is it okay to say known Universal graded copies to be 10 or less?

Good question.  If there are ten copies or less in any grade, that should be the priority, but if one or more restored/conserved copies are included in the total, then the poster should include both categorized numbers to emphasize the rarity of that book in unrestored grade.  There are going to be borderline cases no matter which formula is applied as there are likely to be occasions where a book already in the census has been cracked out and resubmitted for grading without it's label, resulting in recounted entries.

This question will probably never be answered. Using CGC, Gerber or most any published source always only brings up a very limited result. Example, I know of two Action #1's and one Detective #27 in local collections that probably very few, if anybody, knows about.

Value, as you say has a lot to do with it as does interest in a particular book. The more interest or valuable, the more are graded. As  has been discussed here rarity does not always equal big money either. Lots of great, obscure, books out there that people don't know about due to limited interest or lack of big money. 

I usually rely on my many years of collecting and the word of other veteran collectors to determine scarcity. Post what you think is a scarce book here on the boards and you will get an answer usually. My problem is, once I get one, I move on usually to the next one. Too many cool books for me to track. I am often surprised when a board member (or members) say a book that I have is scarce. I already have it so it's off my radar. 

Hit 7 is one of "those" books because not only is it scarce, it also sports a terrific Lou Fine cover.

Also, it is virtually impossible to find in grade. Last I checked, the Church copy came in at CGC 7.5 and the Detroit Trolley copy registered at CGC 7.0.

Even at 2.0, restored, or whatever, the Price Guide really isn't applicable.

37 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Hit 7 is one of "those" books because not only is it scarce, it also sports a terrific Lou Fine cover.

Also, it is virtually impossible to find in grade. Last I checked, the Church copy came in at CGC 7.5 and the Detroit Trolley copy registered at CGC 7.0.

Well said! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Actually, for the purpose of a baseline, 2.0 is applicable.  There are no OSG grades for restored, but using 2.0 and a minimum $100 value as a basis for which books are more likely to be graded and therefor show up in the census makes a world of sense in respect to real world scarcity.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

34 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Actually, for the purpose of a baseline, 2.0 is applicable.  There are no OSG grades for restored, but using 2.0 and a minimum $100 value as a basis for which books are more likely to be graded and therefor show up in the census makes a world of sense in respect to real world scarcity.

I think you should add some more formulas and criteria to make this more poignant.  

2 hours ago, buttock said:

I think you should add some more formulas and criteria to make this more poignant.  

So, are you recommending Gerber's?   :wink:

This book, on the other hand, meets all the criteria with only 4 copies in the current CGC census and just two of those in grade (also, it was a Gerber "no show")...

558de225-0136-4c11-a306-cd7fd2926b36_zps

42 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

So, are you recommending Gerber's?   :wink:

This book, on the other hand, meets all the criteria with only 4 copies in the current CGC census and just two of those in grade (also, it was a Gerber "no show")...

558de225-0136-4c11-a306-cd7fd2926b36_zps

So, there are 4 "graded" copies, I have an un-graded copy and I know of 3 other un-graded copies. (total of 8) are there more out there I don't know of? Most likely, how many who knows. The fact that Gerber couldn't find a copy doesn't mean a whole lot. I believe his pool of contributors was fairly small at the time. He didn't ask me or any other the other 3 owners I know of. I still believe it to be quite scarce. Anybody else here have one or know of one?

I debated whether to (1) scrutinize and debate the technical criteria that form the premise of this thread, or (2) just post books. I decide to go with #2 lol

Here's one that fits the bill...

OSPG 2.0 value: $181
Copies on CGC census: 3 universal + 1 restored
Earliest comic with a motorcycle on the cover?: yes, as far as I know :headbang:

starcomics10_f.jpg

On 9/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, Robot Man said:

So, there are 4 "graded" copies, I have an un-graded copy and I know of 3 other un-graded copies. (total of 8) are there more out there I don't know of? Most likely, how many who knows. The fact that Gerber couldn't find a copy doesn't mean a whole lot. I believe his pool of contributors was fairly small at the time. He didn't ask me or any other the other 3 owners I know of. I still believe it to be quite scarce. Anybody else here have one or know of one?

Everything you say is true.  I guess the point is to provide a thread for collectors to display the scarcest and most valuable books. The CGC census is merely a tool.  Using OSG values to provide a baseline is also intended as a tool. I assume most numbers in the census to be inaccurate, but reasonable guesses on scarcity can be made as long as the base value takes into account the cost of grading & encapsulation.

sin tax ;O)