• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Spot Fake Kirby Signatures?

3 posts in this topic

I'm just getting into the hobby of getting signed comics, and of course, I pick Jack Kirby as one of my first goals.  I've done a good bit of reading and looking at confirmed signatures, the DF comics, etc...however, I haven't seen anything that kind of chronicles things to look for in fakes of his signature. I've seen the terrible knock off ones which bear no resemblance to his signature, but picking out the key things that all genuine ones possess has been elusive. For example, here's one I've looked at recently which in some ways compares favorably, but in other ways it looks fake to me (the "y" and the dot at the top of the "b" like it was start/stop). Does this one look genuine? The quick opinion from PSA/DNA was "likely genuine", but I know its still up in the air til they had it in-hand. I guess I'm looking for both opinions on this one, and what qualities or red flags tend to be rules with his autographs. Thanks!!

KirbySigMaybe.thumb.jpg.4bed369e4a681c6e2e544a14aacdf777.jpg

In my opinion, this is authentic. It has exactly the tremulous, scratchy look he had in the late 80s/90s.

To a trained eye, there is a difference between "slow and shaky" because someone is copying a signature and "slow and tremulous" due to old age. In my view, this is certainly an old age signature. 

And one look at this signature will show you why the smoothly signed Dynamic Forces reprints and multitude of 90s signed limited edition books are to be questioned.

Edited by Mr. Zipper