• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Fist 2 Netflix
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Is this the first post for the new season?  Wow.  I'm surprised a thread wasn't started earlier. I mean, yeah...season 1 was bad, but I figured there would still be someone eager enough to have started a thread for season 2 months ago.

That being said, season 2 is a vast improvement over season 1.  Then again, s1 set the bar really REALLY low.

Season 2 thoughts/spoilers below:

Spoiler

Danny is still the least interesting character in his own show.  But at least what motivates him is grounded in a sense of maintaining some moral center.  He's not the whiny, petulant child he was in s1, but he's still prone to making mistakes due to inexperience.

Ward and Joy's characters were the highlight of s1 for me so it was good to see them return here.  Yes, the boardroom drama thing grew thin in s1, so it's good to see them get a little more depth here.  Joy's arc is a little questionable, but I really like what they've done with Ward.  I love deeply flawed characters who embark on a path of redemption and that's exactly what we've gotten out of him through 2 seasons.  He was a in s1 and we see him working to make amends here.  He's still a , but it's great to see him and Danny together.  If for no other reason than to see the two, who are opposites in so many ways, share some common ground.

But the highlight for me was Mary.  I found the dual personalities interesting and mysterious.  Characters are so often black or white, that it was great to have a character that was a bit of both.  She really felt dangerous because you couldn't get a read on her motivations early on.

Obviously, the series has its flaws.  Some might argue that the pace plodded along.  That Danny is still annoying.  That the ending is out of character.  That Davos was an uncompelling villain following hot on the heels of Bushmaster and Mariah.  And they're all valid arguments.  The ending was a headscratcher for me.  Danny trained his whole life to be the Immortal Iron Fist and then he just gives it to Colleen...a former disciple of the Hand?  And's what with him using a gun?  He's a martial artist.  To me, he's supposed to be like Batman and have a strict no gun rule.  And we're supposed to believe that Ward just ran off with him for months on end?  Who's running Rand Corp?  And what's with the cup with the crane that Misty saw in the antiquities storage room?  I don't recall her mentioning it to Colleen.

But overall, I'm more interested to see where the show goes from here.  More so than I was following s1.

Edited by ExNihilo

31 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Is this the first post for the new season?  Wow.  I'm surprised a thread wasn't started earlier. I mean, yeah...season 1 was bad, but I figured there would still be someone eager enough to have started a thread for season 2 months ago.

That being said, season 2 is a vast improvement over season 1.  Then again, s1 set the bar really REALLY low.

Reveal hidden contents

Danny is still the least interesting character in his own show.  But at least what motivates him is grounded in a sense of maintaining some moral center.  He's not the whiny, petulant child he was in s1, but he's still prone to making mistakes due to inexperience.

Ward and Joy's characters were the highlight of s1 for me so it was good to see them return here.  Yes, the boardroom drama thing grew thin in s1, so it's good to see them get a little more depth here.  Joy's arc is a little questionable, but I really like what they've done with Ward.  I love deeply flawed characters who embark on a path of redemption and that's exactly what we've gotten out of him through 2 seasons.  He was a in s1 and we see him working to make amends here.  He's still a , but it's great to see him and Danny together.  If for no other reason than to see the two, who are opposites in so many ways, share some common ground.

But the highlight for me was Mary.  I found the dual personalities interesting and mysterious.  Characters are so often black or white, that it was great to have a character that was a bit of both.  She really felt dangerous because you couldn't get a read on her motivations early on.

Obviously, the series has its flaws.  Some might argue that the pace plodded along.  That Danny is still annoying.  That the ending is out of character.  That Davos was an uncompelling villain following hot on the heels of Bushmaster and Mariah.  And they're all valid arguments.  The ending was a headscratcher for me.  Danny trained his whole life to be the Immortal Iron Fist and then he just gives it to Colleen...a former disciple of the Hand?  And's what with him using a gun?  He's a martial artist.  To me, he's supposed to be like Batman and have a strict no gun rule.  And we're supposed to believe that Ward just ran off with him for months on end?  Who's running Rand Corp?  And what's with the cup with the crane that Misty saw in the antiquities storage room?  I don't recall her mentioning it to Colleen.

But overall, I'm more interested to see where the show goes from here.  More so than I was following s1.

Couldn’t find a thread. Nor a thread for LC 2, which I enjoyed with bushmaster. Watching IF episode 2 now.

LC 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:13 AM, ExNihilo said:

Reveal hidden contents

@ExNihilo

Spoiler

In regards to the guns, not sure if you read Ed Brubaker & Matt Fraction's run on The Immortal Iron Fist, but it's something they explored in that title.  Channeling Chi through weapons.  The dual pistols were a nod to Orson Randall (who they also introduce), a former Iron Fist that used them.

Edited by Doc McCoy
grammar

I think the entire point of season 2 was to turn Danny into an ineffective punk who was barely on the screen and transition the story to Joy, Misty, Colleen, and Mary. Also I hated the "Kid Gang", talk about horrible acting. And the last scene....god so weird and goofy.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:46 PM, paperheart said:

Netflix Knocks Out ‘Marvel’s Iron Fist’, No Season 3 For Martial Arts Series

I think other than Daredevil and Punisher there is no reason to keep making new series for the other Netflix Marvel shows. We seen them and they were good, but none are like Game of Thrones were we would be real disappointed if they stopped them.

Hopefully, Marvel Netflix can bring some other characters to the table maybe like Moon Knight and Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu.

Personally, I would love a Marvel Netflix series based on Tomb of Dracula.

Image result for dr. strange vs. dracula: the montesi formula [book]

2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I liked Iron Fist. I liked it a lot.  Now, It's the weakest of the four or I guess five if you include The Defenders.  Still a good show to me anyway.  Obviously I'm in the minority of enjoying watching Iron Fist because it's being cancelled after season 2. 

It's....fine.  But the thing is, WHO is this the target market for this show???  I think that's part of the problem, there's no target audience other than general 'marvel' viewer.  The other Marvel shows kind of have a theme.

Jessica Jones - empowered snarky female detective.  You come for the snark and the girl power, and they give it to you.

Luke Cage - stoic black dude tries to do the right thing, while also for figuring out the social and civil balance and swagger.  And they give that to you.

Daredevil - self destructive blind lawyer saves the world while navigating the legal world.  Little heavy on the catholic guilt, but they give you what you came for.

Punisher - needs to do more punishing, but gives people the violence and grittiness they're looking for.

But Iron Fist, you come for the KUNG FU, but they don't give it to you.  YES, its better than last season, but it still isn't great.  The action in this show should be EXACTLY the same as 'Into the Badlands' on AMC, but it's not.  Its clear Finn Jones doesn't know kung fu, and that he has no real charisma.  Pretty much everyone else on the show is more compelling.  I get trying to develop other characters, but this should be a kung fu show.  And it isn't.  And that hurts the show, in my opinion. 

Also, general martial arts question:  If you're one of the best fighters in the world, shouldn't every single blow (or at least the vast majority) you land cleanly essentially be a knockout or crippling blow (or hit some type of pressure point)?  Or because the other fighters are well trained too they can take a punch/kick better?  Too many chaff/filler opponents come back for second or third attacks on Danny and company after getting hit with one or more clean shots by Danny.  I mean a lot of UFC fighters get their arms broken BLOCKING kicks.  You'd think Danny would AT LEAST kick that hard.

yeah, i completely agree.  he's a "living weapon," for chrissakes, how is he getting knocked around?

they definitely made a mistake with the casting.  it's like they found the right person from a visual perspective but boy, when the star is the weakest part of the show...