• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resto/unresto issue

55 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, FoomMember said:

There's a 9.0 unrestored on EBay  being offered for slightly under 60k.

Break out your calculators everybody!

That's chay's book. Been up there a while now. Think he is hoping it grows into that price.

It is a sad indictment of our hobby that further destruction to a book...no matter how well done, no matter how minimal...results in books being immensely more valuable, in many cases.

A Hulk #1 7.5 with a small amount of color touch is a $10,000 book...at most...while a 6.5 with the CT removed is a $35,000 book.

I hate restoration as much as the next guy...but the wide gulf between restored and unrestored books will continue to fuel these decisions, and there will be...and are..."chop shops" that will butcher books, so long as they can get the coveted blue label.

Sigh.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It is a sad indictment of our hobby that further destruction to a book...no matter how well done, no matter how minimal...results in books being immensely more valuable, in many cases.

A Hulk #1 7.5 with a small amount of color touch is a $10,000 book...at most...while a 6.5 with the CT removes is a $35,000 book.

I hate restoration as much as the next guy...but the wide gulf between restored and unrestored books will continue to fuel these decisions, and there will be...and are..."chop shops" that will butcher books, so long as they can get the coveted blue label.

Sigh.

+1

Why is it not the same with cars and art?

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A Hulk #1 7.5 with a small amount of color touch is a $10,000 book...at most...while a 6.5 with the CT removed is a $35,000 book.

Sigh.

You’ve chosen a bad example, and demeaned CGC with your “chop shop” reference. The Hulk book still looks great. You could make a better argument with the FF1 4.0 someone posted here a while back... the book that had the subscription crease unrestored. But even then, what’s wrong with selling the books to make a profit? Take it up with the people who started the whole restoration thing. They’re the ones who created this mess. 

17 minutes ago, oldrover said:

But even then, what’s wrong with selling the books to make a profit?

To answer your question, nothing. The issue is the reason why that profit exists in the first place: the vast gulf in value between books even with minimal restoration and unrestored books in the same or lesser condition. The "restorers" didn't create this mess. The market, which irrationally punishes restoration far beyond what is reasonable, did.

48 minutes ago, oldrover said:

You’ve chosen a bad example, and demeaned CGC with your “chop shop” reference.

Let's diagram your error, as there will undoubtedly be people who don't read beyond the headline, and will take your misunderstanding and run with it. Here's what I said:

"It is a sad indictment of our hobby that further destruction to a book...no matter how well done, no matter how minimal...results in books being immensely more valuable, in many cases."

That phrase in the middle..."no matter how well done, no matter how minimal" (emphasis added)...was exemplified by the next comment I made:

"A Hulk #1 7.5 with a small amount of color touch is a $10,000 book...at most...while a 6.5 with the CT removed is a $35,000 book."

In other words, I used the work done by Matt Nelson/CCS (NOT CGC, by the way) as an example of "well done" and "minimal" destruction. 

Further, in this thread, you stated that Matt refused to do the work on your TTA #27, as it would produce unsatisfactory results, regardless of the technical grade and blue label. This is the mark of professionalism: knowing the limits of what can be done, and balancing that against what should be done.  I am ACKNOWLEDGING and PRAISING both the work of CCS AND Matt's ethics in drawing a line about what he won't do.

Then, I gave a counterexample to illustrate the problem:

"the wide gulf between restored and unrestored books will continue to fuel these decisions, and there will be...and are..."chop shops" that will butcher books, so long as they can get the coveted blue label."

Those "chop shops"...which are NOT CCS, as should have been clear from my original post....WILL NOT and DO NOT respect the limits of what should be done, contrary to the practice of Matt Nelson/CCS, and will produce monstrosities that nevertheless will be rewarded in the marketplace...hence my comments in the first place.

Hopefully, with that clarification, we can forego further assumptions about who is demeaning whom.

By the way...the Hulk #1 is not a "bad example", but a perfect one: despite the very well done restoration removal, the fact is, the book DID go down in grade...or, rather, "apparent" grade...and it is inarguable that *some* measure of further destruction is necessary to "unrestore" just about any book, which was my point.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You've failed to comprehend what I said.

Perhaps you need some Soothing Newb Relief™

@Jeffro.

You realized you were unclear and inaccurate, because you subsequently took a page and a half to attempt to clarify. LOL

Edited by oldrover

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

You realized you were unclear and inaccurate, because you subsequently took a page and a half to attempt to clarify. LOL

Yay, unnecessary hostility and aggression because someone didn't understand what someone else said, and assumed an inaccurate interpretation without bothering to ask what was meant first. Isn't the internet wonderful?

:cloud9:

There was nothing inaccurate about what I said. And if you were unclear, you should have asked before assuming. You are the type of person which makes 50 page contracts necessary.

The "page and a half" wasn't for you, but rather to head off those who don't take the time to read and comprehend and think there was actually something demeaning about CGC in anything I said. Like I said: 50 page contracts.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus