• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resto/unresto issue

55 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, comicparadox said:

Current owner could simply remove the CGC outer slab and replace the inner well with a fresh 4mm Mylar archival sleeve. Voilà - no more PLOD!

31 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

Probably why plod values are so low compared to unrestored.   Too much dishonesty in the old school market.   Disclosure to recover the market :-)

Yes. In fact, I have a restored AF15 that I'm a little afraid to get CGC'd, because God knows the extent of the restoration. I mean, I WILL, because it's the right thing to do... but that's gonna be a little scary. Fortunately, I'd didn't pay TOO much for it.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Yes. In fact, I have a restored AF15 that I'm a little afraid to get CGC'd, because God knows the extent of the restoration. I mean, I WILL, because it's the right thing to do... but that's gonna be a little scary. Fortunately, I'd didn't pay TOO much for it.

As high grade unrestored continue to nosebleed pricing.  Nicely restored vs low grade lesser presenting books will be the battle for most desired

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

I'm a big believer in getting CGC's opinion and slabbing in general, especially on the blue chip keys. But the "right thing to do" is entirely your call. What's right for some aren't for others. Neither slabbing nor not slabbing is right or wrong. That decision should be based on the context of your intentions. You're selling? You're keeping? Are all the rest of your books slabbed? Or raw? This is what should determine whether slabbing something is right for that book or not.  

What is the difference between restoration removal where, for example, pieces of color touch are cut out of the book, and a kid in the 1960s using a scissors to remove an imperfection from the book?  With the former, it appears that CGC will give the book a blue label, while the latter generates a purple label.  Yet in both cases, the book is being altered from its original state.  I don't understand the reasoning and must be missing something.  

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, conan09279 said:

What is the difference between restoration removal where, for example, pieces of color touch are cut out of the book, and a kid in the 1960s using a scissors to remove an imperfection from the book?  With the former, it appears that CGC will give the book a blue label, while the latter generates a purple label.  Yet in both cases, the book is being altered from its original state.  I don't understand the reasoning and must be missing something.  

You and me both don't see the logic. Mind you, I fully understand de-resto being performed to increase the market value of a book, the dynamics and flux of the superior demand, thus price of a lesser grade unrestored book than a higher grade restored one. This is a valuable service that CGC offers to yield better returns. The logic I fail to see is the belief that the book is now, once again unrestored. It's not. It's double restored. Once to add color and again to remove it, and the book now bears the visible, unmistakable scars of the resto removal. The color that was excised may be gone, but due to the means necessary to do so, there's no mistaking what was done, as no other type of normally occurring comic book wear looks like color-touch having been scraped off.

Further, pressing logic, that is, "we can't tell when the book is pressed, so even if it is, it's unrestored due to not being able to tell, does not apply here since color-touch scraping certainly can be seen and fairly unique as far as possible flaws go.

Wouldn't removing a color touch also be a form of restoration? Are you not trying to return the book to its original state? The whole restoration issue of this hobby puzzles me. I'd rather have a book with marker on it than a scraped off version. Ans as far as marker bleeding thru.... what about the many Stan sigs done with a sharpie? Did they not bleed thru also? I guess my main question is... who decided that a purple labeled book left alone is worth less than a book butchered by some scraping tool with a blue label? CGC? The consumer? Aliens that have taken over?

14 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

what about the many Stan sigs done with a sharpie? Did they not bleed thru also?

Typically, the only bleed through one might see on a Stan Lee signed cover is if there are fractured creases directly under the path of the ink. Since most cover signed Lee comics are of higher grade, from the modern era, with more gloss present than Silver age comics, creases and fractures underneath the pen path don't occur, thus no evident bleed through.

The typical bleed through occurs due to amateur color-touch, porous inks, as opposed to professional coloration that doesn't bleed, soaks its way through the fractures in the paper that are being touched up.  

15 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I guess my main question is... who decided that a purple labeled book left alone is worth less than a book butchered by some scraping tool with a blue label? CGC? The consumer? Aliens that have taken over?

I'd go with the third option...  lol 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, oldrover said:

You're right---it's the right thing to do. And even if it has extensive restoration you're still a  ^^  

And the CCS verdict is in:

——

The Tales to Astonish #27 was rejected for CCS services.  CCS determined that the book has too much color touch along the spine to safely remove. This book will be returned to you as is.

——

Hey, still a heckuva book. Kind of amazing (to me) that they can do that analysis without opening the case. 

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Kind of amazing (to me) that they can do that analysis without opening the case. 

I believe they have some really nice equipment, that they know how to use.  I can usually tell what the inside of a log will look like, without cutting into it.  

Epilogue: due to someone asking me about selling this book, I looked back on GPA and on eBay.

I'd thought (guessed) this book would be in the $2500 range.

Turns out a CGC 5.0 PLOD just sold for $2300. So it might be a win-win after all that... great looking book, and mo' money. :)

On 10/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, oldrover said:

Epilogue: due to someone asking me about selling this book, I looked back on GPA and on eBay.

I'd thought (guessed) this book would be in the $2500 range.

Turns out a CGC 5.0 PLOD just sold for $2300. So it might be a win-win after all that... great looking book, and mo' money. :) 

In your opinion what would be more valuable...

A CGC PLOD 5.0

or a 3.0 Raw with NO Restoration?

Also how the hell is this only worth 2500.00?

I just looked up other restored TTA 27's and they are selling for way more than what you think its worth

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/tales-to-astonish-27-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-fn-60-slight-c-1-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7099-93538.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

^in 2014 a 6.0 PLOD sold for 2600.00+

as another poster said, I think you are drastically under estimating the value of this comic.

sorry but one more question....

I've seen threads where you've got a Restored Hulk 1(which had the restoration removed),X-Men 1 and now A TTA 27...

all are higher grades...

my question is...did you know they were restored at the time you bought them or did you buy them like back in the 90s before CGC got big and didnt know they were restored?

17 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

sorry but one more question....

I've seen threads where you've got a Restored Hulk 1(which had the restoration removed),X-Men 1 and now A TTA 27...

all are higher grades...

my question is...did you know they were restored at the time you bought them or did you buy them like back in the 90s before CGC got big and didnt know they were restored?

I knew they were restored. 

32 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

Also how the hell is this only worth 2500.00?

I just looked up other restored TTA 27's and they are selling for way more than what you think its worth

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/tales-to-astonish-27-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-fn-60-slight-c-1-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7099-93538.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

^in 2014 a 6.0 PLOD sold for 2600.00+

as another poster said, I think you are drastically under estimating the value of this comic.

Think you are correct, just not sure how drastic the difference will be. It's a very nice looking copy.

According to GPA, a high grade PLOD sale hasn't been recorded for several years. With blue label 9.0 prices over 30K, even at a 90% discount for the PLOD, it's still likely a $3+K book. 

Good Luck!

-bc