• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting divorced - Need appraisal information
5 5

154 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Are you high?  He is known now to reach out in PM's to try and get business.   Was warning the OP after Sean's post got me thinking.

And....in the process trying to keep within the Mod8 position of one nanananana post per thread....with poetic license of course....otherwise know as sticking it to the Man.:banana:

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

And....in the process trying to keep within the Mod8 position of one nanananana post per thread....with poetic license of course....otherwise know as sticking it to the Man.:banana:

Sheesh was just a warning.  SC, Collection to possibly sell,  it lines up.  

23 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He's Columbia Comics, this lady has a link to their website on her posts. If it's not his wife that would be weird right?

This just got serious:popcorn:

Just now, Pirate said:

I don't think Chip has a collection of OA sitting around and I'd think the $50 Chip would offer would be perfectly acceptable for half his business :jokealert:

15 hours ago, nookworm said:

As the title suggests, I am in the process of a divorce. I won't go into any details on that subject but I wanted to reach out because I want to educate myself as my husband and I navigate dividing our comic and collectibles business. We have been buying and selling comics, comic art, toys, Legos and baseball cards for several years and have built a successful business up to this point.

My soon-to-be ex-husband has offered me a buy out for the current business inventory. How do I go about valuing this inventory and locating all parts of the current inventory in order to make certain that the buy out offer is fair to ensure the well-being of our two children?

If anyone has any suggestions, please message me or discuss in this thread. 

Thank you in advance!

Mary

P.S. Moderators, if this belongs somewhere else, please let me know. Thank you!

You can get a sell now offer from a dealer.  This will be less than retail, but gives you an in-hand valuation that you can use.  It will be on the low side, but tells you what you can get for the collection right now. 

You can also get an estimate from an auction house.  This will be a bit higher, but gives you a value you could reasonably expect to get for the collection at near retail within 6 months. 

You can also get a replacement valuation, e.g. for insurance purposes, but that will often factor in the cost of acquiring the assets and may overestimate.  

Or you could both sit down and agree on a reasonable value. 

The advantage of getting an outside opinion/offer is that it reduces future liability if either party were to contest the divorce after it's finalized.  

18 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Are you high?  He is known now to reach out in PM's to try and get business.   Was warning the OP after Sean's post got me thinking.

Seriously? I've long suspected this, but had no proof.

12 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Yea, but admit it is fun to tweak the Mod nose a bit and legally stay in-bounds......

This puts a personal spin on it for a lot of people.  i remember meeting both Brock and Mary at my first Heroes since they let me split a booth with them.  Both of them were very nice but I hope this isn't a way to shame Brock by making the divorce process public.  Hope you both get thru this nasty process intact and still friendly for the kids sake.

And honestly any more advice offered in this thread should be null and void.  Now that we know who we are speaking about and with CC being one of the most polarizing people on these boards, nothing will be written without bias making any offerings of advice, irrelevant.

Jim

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

...except I've never done that. I had two people each out to ME after I had that big toy find last Christmas, but that's been it. I don't have any collectibles for sale anymore. 

5 hours ago, Pirate said:

to the OP in regards to receiving PM's about selling things.

Just an update for the viewers of this thread.  Chip Cataldo is currently in the Hall of Shame which can be viewed in the selling forums.  This is my one post per thread on this subject.

If you're going to list a HOS member, don't you think you should be listing all of them? Otherwise your post just looks like you're trolling someone.

And honestly, I don't even think it belongs in this thread. It's just meant to stir the pot.

17 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

...except I've never done that. I had two people each out to ME after I had that big toy find last Christmas, but that's been it. I don't have any collectibles for sale anymore. 

You lie 

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you're going to list a HOS member, don't you think you should be listing all of them? Otherwise your post just looks like you're trolling someone.

And honestly, I don't even think it belongs in this thread. It's just meant to stir the pot.

Sure who else is posting regularly, I'll add them to the list.  or are you just stirring the pot?

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

Sure who else is posting regularly, I'll add them to the list.  or are you just stirring the pot?

You've always been abrasive. Why stop now?