• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting divorced - Need appraisal information
5 5

154 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Bird said:

well, you DID private message me not too long ago to purchase out of my sales thread.

26 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Yes, I did. I was talking about selling, which is where my issues have been from the time periods already mentioned. 

As I said, YOU LIE. 

Hopefully someone else comes forth because I am not outing anyone who PM's me. 

You are not welcome to do any business here whether it be buying or selling.  Get that through your head.  You have been lying, cheating others on the internet, and screwing around with other people's money for at least twenty years.  Go read your write up as to why you were put in the Hall of Shame.  You ingratiate yourself to others and sucker them into your 'woe is me' nonsense. Go read the links that people meticulously researched digging up complaints about you across a time span of TWENTY years.  You have been doing this for TWENTY years.  Once you are done reading, go look in the mirror and ask yourself, "When is it finally time to change?" With any luck the answer will be, 'now' and for once in your life you will actually mean it. 

Edited by Buzzetta
"in" not "on" dang typo...

13 minutes ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

And the person responsible for it will probably never return to these boards. He will be a legend here and totally ignorant of it. 

Besides, he never said Thank You when he got replies...so there is that.:sumo:

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Sheesh, you really have to take posts in the spirit intended, with a bit of humor. There is a point when enough is enough. 1 Jan, 2017 to now has been a relentless pursuit on the subject by you. My gosh, 1 Jan 2017 you were non-stop for days on posting comments.

I don't really care and if you want to do so, it is your time, but golly, it is a bit obsessive, I think. Most if not all members get it and understand your position.

It is like a real life Inspector Javert is operating on the Boards.lol

There is nothing funny about this.  The board is a great place to have fun, but this is not one of those times.

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Telling another board member how they should post again?   

Wait aren't you now doing the exact same thing??

I'll try to get back on topic . . .

You didn't specify what the business is (eBay store, Convention stand, brick and mortar location, . . .) but . . . 

Having gone through a divorce my first advice is don't put a value on hurt. By that I mean whatever bad feelings you have, whatever pain you feel, do not think that gives you the right to a certain amount of money. Both sides usually do this and it makes the divorce more complicated and the only ones who make more money off of these fights are the lawyers. Money is money, and its almost always a calculation. Approach the money aspect that way and you'll end up with more (because you won't be paying the lawyers to fight over it). 

Child support is the only difficult area that might arise in a situation like this (again, we don't know exactly what the business is - is it your only source of income, is it a side business?). If the business is the only or main source of income, then it will pay to fight a little (again, money is always a calculation - its a business decision) to make sure the income - which is what child support is based on - is realistic and that the kids will have food and clothing. 

Any business is valued on its income (usually sold at a multiple of its income) so depending on what your take was each year, which hopefully you have some idea of what it was, then 2-4 times that would be the "value" of the business (depends on the going rate for collectible businesses and what the profit margins are - you can sit down with a business broker who can give you a basic idea of how it would be valued for a sale).

If you have a viable business, but there is (or you suspect there is) a high value of inventory that has accumulated over the years, then you would do a separate valuation for the inventory - figure out basically what is your core transactions (are you selling weekly issues, new books as they are published or toys as they are released) and then take the inventory that has built up (all those back issues and old collections you bought but never had time to price and put up for sale) and evaluate that separately. Since they are somewhat entwined you can't use exact valuations for either aspect of the business, so I'd get a basic number for both, and then discount a certain amount to cover the overlap (old items you do sell as part of the business as you can). 

As for figuring out what the actual inventory is, you just have to get access to wherever the items have been, or may be, stored. During a divorce there is always the possibility he has removed some items to a different location in the hope they won't be considered in the final valuation. 

If you want more advice or thoughts from someone who went through a divorce, I'm available.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

What a cozy thread.  I can feel the love.  Kinda like the good ole days.  

It has everything. It was tossed into the boards like a hand grenade and took a few sudden turns out of nowhere, violently thrashing about!!!

9 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

What a cozy thread.  I can feel the love.  Kinda like the good ole days.  

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

It has everything. It was tossed into the boards like a hand grenade and took a few sudden turns out of nowhere, violently thrashing about!!!

If Stu and a few more HoS members show up the grenades will be hitting land mines.  

Well if this IS Brocks wife then I am completely out of this conversation.  As Don is a great friend of mine, and I will not talk about this subject.

What you should really do ma'am is try to repair your marriage, for you, your kids, and because you and Don still love each other.

10 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Well if this IS Brocks wife then I am completely out of this conversation.  As Don is a great friend of mine, and I will not talk about this subject.

What you should really do ma'am is try to repair your marriage, for you, your kids, and because you and Don still love each other.

No offense dude, but she wasn't asking anyone for marital advice. That's a little out of bounds on your part IMHO.

On 9/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, nookworm said:

As the title suggests, I am in the process of a divorce. I won't go into any details on that subject but I wanted to reach out because I want to educate myself as my husband and I navigate dividing our comic and collectibles business. We have been buying and selling comics, comic art, toys, Legos and baseball cards for several years and have built a successful business up to this point.

My soon-to-be ex-husband has offered me a buy out for the current business inventory. How do I go about valuing this inventory and locating all parts of the current inventory in order to make certain that the buy out offer is fair to ensure the well-being of our two children?

If anyone has any suggestions, please message me or discuss in this thread. 

Thank you in advance!

Mary

P.S. Moderators, if this belongs somewhere else, please let me know. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about this.

My best advice (if this hasn't been done already) is to have as much of the inventory itemized, with as much pertinent information as possible (i.e. when it was purchased, who it was bought from, brief description, condition). If you kept any reciepts, those might be helpful in certain valuation instances, but would be most useful as back-up. It would also help to photograph everything. I understand this is tedious, however if this gets to the point where an appraisal is ordered by anyone other than your ex-husband or yourself, these are things which will help keep costs down in appraising the collection.

Whenever I have been asked to assist in these situations, I have wanted both people to agree to it. As you might imagine, it can become complicated for all parties involved when one of the parties is resitant to the choice or method of having their personal property valuated. It might not be the case in this situation given what you explained, but what matters is the person you bring on board should be able to carry out their assignment without obstruction.

You may want to get a legal opinion before contacting anyone to ensure there aren't any limitations on use or disposition of the inventory, but my recommendation would be to hire an accredited appraiser, and to have the collection valued using fair market value and liquidation value. If you have any trouble finding an accredited appraiser near you, feel free to contact me and I'll try to direct you to someone who might be able to assist you.

Edited by comicwiz

I am in the final stages of a divorce myself, so please accept my sincere sympathy and well wishes to you during what is, at least for me, the hardest thing that a lot of people ever have to go through.  That aside, my comic book and toy collection, which my wife knew existed, but she never cared about one way or the other, was valued very simply. I asked the manager of my LCS, where I have been doing business for over 20 years, to appraise my collection and give me a value based on what they would pay for it all at once, in one lump sum. As stated by others, this value/offer was a percentage of its "Guide Value". I don't want to divulge the actual percentage, since my own divorce is not yet final, but the percentages stated by others in this thread are very accurate. I gave my wife the option of having my collection appraised on her own, but she declined to do so. As a result, my appraisal was the one the court recognized, and in the end, I got to retain 100% of my collection for roughly half of its "Fire Sale" valuation. I don't know if this method would work in your case, but it did for me, so it might be worth at least considering. Either way, the best of luck to you.