• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man PS4

42 posts in this topic

Absolutely incredible game. My friend convinced me to pick it up. I was on the fence as I hadn’t really enjoyed a Spidey game in 10 years, and I didn’t have a PS4. He found me a Spidey Collectors edition- this thing is beautiful.

I really like the story. My son cheers when we play Peter Parker parts and explore Ock’s lab. They make you care about Peter in a way games have never done.

I don’t love how they Lois Lane’d MJ, but I do like that about 3/4 of the way through the game she is a capable, well fleshed out character. 

Dropping Miles in the story was a nice touch.

Mr. Negative as the big bad and all the subplots running through the game is great.

The controls are amazing. Web swinging couldn’t be better. The game renders so fast that it still looks beautiful swinging fast. Combat is like the Arkham games on speed. It flows really well, and I’ll have crazy combos without effort because the game just makes sense. 

The exploration is great. Manhattan is totally open to explore. You can race through the story, but there’s a ton to do on the map. 

I love the costumes. It seems focused on some obscure costumes, but apparently the creators wanted to reveal more iconic costumes during story moments. 2099 and Scarlet Spider are there so I’m good. 

If you’re a Spidey fan or honestly even a Marvel fan, you should pick up this game. 

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

I’ve only played the Amazing Spider-Man game on PS3, which was enjoyable but hardly exceptional.

No PS4 yet, but the glowing reviews here and elsewhere make it an obvious future addition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I planned on picking this up during pre-order (for the Iron Spider suit), but with bachelor parties and weddings I just didn't have the budget. I'll probably get it in a couple weeks. There hasn't been a great Spider-Man video game since the first one for the PS2. I'm really looking forward to this.

It still baffles me that there hasn't been a good Iron Man or Thor video game yet. With the Mark L Bleeding Edge suit now, you could make a video game even more fun with all of the possibilities, while villains and stories might be more trouble because he's virtually a one-man army. Thor could be fun, though. Travel through the Nine Realms, fight alien races, and free planets and stuff.

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve only played the Amazing Spider-Man game on PS3, which was enjoyable but hardly exceptional.

No PS4 yet, but the glowing reviews here and elsewhere make it an obvious future addition.

I was in the same boat. I ended up getting a PS4 for this game. No regrets. Very fun game.

I really wanted to get a PS4 to get this game, but I went the XBox One X route after Sony announced there would be no 4K Blu-Ray support in Playstation, a move that still baffles me given that Sony created the 4K Blu-Ray format to begin with.  I really freaking loved the previous Spider-Man masterpiece game from 2004, Spider-Man 2, so I knew the potential was here for this game.  I'm hugely interested, but I doubt I'll get a PS4 just for this one game.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I really wanted to get a PS4 to get this game, but I went the XBox One X route after Sony announced there would be no 4K Blu-Ray support in Playstation.  I really freaking loved the previous Spider-Man masterpiece game from 2004, Spider-Man 2, so I knew the potential was here for this game.  I'm hugely interested, but I doubt I'll get a PS4 just for this one game.

Just remember on this Black Friday they will probably have good deals both on PS4 and this Spider-Man game. So that might be the time to get this for an early Christmas present.

I'll most likely wait and see about a PS5.  Current speculation is they will announce it for a Christmas 2019 release, and they almost certainly won't announce that for sure until next year so as not to negatively impact Black Friday and Christmas sales this year.

I'm probably not getting a PS5 either if it doesn't have 4K Blu-Ray support.  I know everything is moving to streaming, but "buying" movies for digital streaming is a complete joke right now, and streaming options are spotty at best.  The only reliable way to keep a collection of all the Marvel movies right now is to own them on disc, and if I'm buying new discs, it's only 4K for me ever since I got my XBox One X.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I really freaking loved the previous Spider-Man masterpiece game from 2004, Spider-Man 2, so I knew the potential was here for this game.  I'm hugely interested, but I doubt I'll get a PS4 just for this one game.

^ What he said...  :P

I'm really hoping (in vain) that they'll port it over to PC or XBox.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I'm really hoping (in vain) that they'll port it over to PC or XBox.

They're not.  They said from the start it was going to be a Playstation exclusive.  I knew that before I bought my XBox on Black Friday 2017, but it wasn't enough to keep me on Playstation lacking the 4K Blu-Ray support.

Which is a shame.  I've owned every Playstation until PS4 came out.

20 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Without question, PlayStation 5 will support 4K Blu-ray.

I wouldn't have questioned it either had I not heard their rationalization for not building it into the PS4 Pro.  They said in mid-2016 that there wasn't enough market penetration of 4K Blu-Rays to support raising the price by $50 to $100 to add the 4K Blu-Ray support.  Will that be significantly different by next Christmas?  As a high-end technophile it has always been my assumption that people would eventually move to newer formats, but the reality is that it hasn't happened.  The number of people who own standard DVD players still doubles the number who own a device that can play Blu-Rays, and the market share of 4K Blu-Ray players is still just a small fraction of the fractional share 2K Blu-Ray has.

Edited by fantastic_four

Hesitant to pick it up as I wasn't sure the game would be as good as people were saying.  My older brother let me borrow it and i'm hooked.  Going to be buying my own copy soon.  It's some of the most fun I've had playing a game in a very long time.  It's not perfect but its as close as we can get to right now.  A great sign for the potential and capability of what it could be like to have other open world superhero games, i.e. Iron Man.

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I wouldn't have questioned it either had I not heard their rationalization for not building it into the PS4 Pro.  They said in mid-2016 that there wasn't enough market penetration of 4K Blu-Rays to support raising the price by $50 to $100 to add the 4K Blu-Ray support.  Will that be significantly different by next Christmas?  As a high-end technophile it has always been my assumption that people would eventually move to newer formats, but the reality is that it hasn't happened.  The number of people who own standard DVD players still doubles the number who own a device that can play Blu-Rays, and the market share of 4K Blu-Ray players is still just a small fraction of the fractional share 2K Blu-Ray has.

To answer your question; Yes, it will be. 4K Blu-ray players and products were barely a thought in 2016. Today, everyone I knows has a 4K TV and looks to buy 4K Blu-rays when movies come out on physical copy.

Sony was "right", IMO, to save the consumer (that wouldn't be buying 4K Blu-ways) money to sell systems.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

To answer your question; Yes, it will be. 4K Blu-ray players and products were barely a thought in 2016. Today, everyone I knows has a 4K TV and looks to buy 4K Blu-rays when movies come out on physical copy.

Sony was "right", IMO, to save the consumer (that wouldn't be buying 4K Blu-ways) money to sell systems.

If you removed the term 4K from your quote above and replaced the year 2016 with 2006, the exact same logic applies to 2K Blu-Ray discs and the Playstation 3--yet Sony built support into that system anyway.  The 2K Blu-Ray format was released in early 2006, yet the PS3 released in late 2006 had full support for playing Blu-Ray discs, and it definitely increased the price of the player.  What changed a decade later?  I ask that rhetorically not knowing their full thinking myself.  Was it lessons learned from depressed sales of the PS3?  It certainly wasn't that; the PS3 was sold out from day one and was hard to get for half a year or more later.  People were selling them on eBay for multiples of the launch price for weeks or months around the release date.

I imagine it's all of the factors below and perhaps a few others:

• XBox's market share in 2016 is significantly higher than it was in 2006.  Sony may have thought price point was far more important now than a decade ago.
  • Sony now realizes after watching slow consumer acceptance of 2K Blu-Ray that next-generation format adoption rates are far slower than they could have known back in 2006.
  • Streaming is taking a huge bite out of the disc market that it wasn't in 2006.

I haven't seen any recent market share statistics to know if you're right that 4K acceptance is significantly higher in 2018 than it was in 2016.  It's definitely higher, but is it SIGNIFICANTLY higher?  Are we talking 1% in 2016 and 3% in 2018?  Or is the increase far more dramatic, maybe from 2% to 10%?  Note that I'm making all those numbers up entirely, I haven't seen any market share statistics on 4K Blu-Ray sales.  I just looked for those stats but couldn't find any.  :blush:

Edited by fantastic_four

Just now, fantastic_four said:

If you removed the term 4K from your quote above and replaced the year 2016 with 2006, the exact same logic applies to 2K Blu-Ray discs and the Playstation 3--yet Sony built support into that system anyway.  The 2K Blu-Ray format was released in early 2006, yet the PS3 released in late 2006 had full support for playing Blu-Ray discs, and it definitely increased the price of the player.  What changed a decade later?  I ask that rhetorically not knowing their full thinking myself.  Was it lessons learned from depressed sales of the PS3?  It certainly wasn't that; the PS3 was sold out from day one and hard to get for half a year or more later.  People were selling them on eBay for multiples of the launch price for weeks around the release date.

I imagine it's all of the factors below and perhaps a few others:

• XBox's market share in 2016 is significantly higher than it was in 2006.  Sony may have thought price point was far more important now than a decade ago.
  • Sony now realizes after watching slow consumer acceptance of 2K Blu-Ray that next-generation format adoption rates are far slower than they could have known back in 2006.
  • Streaming is taking a huge bite out of the disc market that it wasn't in 2006.

I don't know which market you live in, but in the Midwest the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war was already over and everyone I know was invested in Blu-ray products prior to the PS3's release. The difference between 2006 and 2018 is that there is no competition for 4K Blu-ray. I'm not sure what consideration was taken regarding the fact that PS3 games were/are copied to Blu-ray discs.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't know which market you live in, but in the Midwest the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war was already over and everyone I know was invested in Blu-ray products prior to the PS3's release. The difference between 2006 and 2018 is that there is no competition for 4K Blu-ray

Yes, that's my recollection as well--Blu-Ray had won well before the PS3 was released, either in 2004 or 2005.  So that makes 2006 and 2016 (the release year of the PS4 Pro) the same from that perspective, neither format had significant competition at the time of release.