• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man PS4

42 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yes, that's my recollection as well--Blu-Ray had won well before the PS3 was released, either in 2004 or 2005.  So that makes 2006 and 2016 (the release year of the PS4 Pro) the same from that perspective, neither format had significant competition at the time of release.

I didn't know when the PS4 Pro was released. 2 years ago, though, 4K TVs were a billion dollars and 4K players were $500. I doubt Sony wanted to saturate the market with 4K players that also did everything that a PlayStation 4 does... The 4K platform was also very underutilized. Not many movies mass-released under the resolution. I really think that excluding 4K movie playback from PS4 Pro was a logical choice, all things considered.

Hindsight is 20-20. As a consumer, yes, we would all love a free/cheap 4K player with the PS4 Pro. I think it made sense for both Sony and the economy at the time to not include it, though.

Edit: Also, thanks for having a civil discussion. There are so many arguments going on here lately. "You're wrong and ur stoopid." "No, ur stoopid and never right."

Edited by TwoPiece
Thanks.

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I really think that excluding 4K movie playback from PS4 Pro was a logical choice, all things considered.

It was definitely a mistake in that it moved a subset of hardcore technophiles like myself off their platform; but it may not have been a mistake from on overall market perspective due to decreased price.  We discussed this heavily back in 2016:

There's a link at the end of that thread to a highly likely reason they excluded support in 2016 that hypothesizes that since Sony definitely didn't have any cheap 4K Blu-Ray player on the market in 2016--which is different from 2006 when they had been selling Blu-Ray players for years at that point--that it's possible they couldn't have even integrated the electronics into the PS4 Pro for less than $150 to $200 at the time.  This article spends 90% of its time enumerating the myriad ways that not including 4K disc support was a huge problem for Sony and huge boon for XBox, and concludes agreeing with Sony's ultimate choice by hypothesizing that they just weren't technically ready to do it yet:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/16/ps4-pros-missing-4k-blu-ray-drive-the-mistake-sony-had-to-make/#13dfeba539b9

If that author's hypothesis is right, then that's the best support for the idea they will add 4K support to the PS5.  Sony's now got a few 4K players on the market and they're MUCH cheaper than they were in 2016.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

It was definitely a mistake in that it moved a subset of hardcore technophiles like myself off their platform; but it may not have been a mistake from on overall market perspective due to decreased price.  We discussed this heavily back in 2016:

There's a link at the end of that thread to a highly likely reason they excluded support in 2016 that hypothesizes that since Sony definitely didn't have any cheap 4K Blu-Ray player on the market in 2016--which is different from 2006 when they had been selling Blu-Ray players for years at that point--that it's possible they couldn't have even integrated the electronics into the PS4 Pro for less than $150 to $200 at the time.  This article spends 90% of its time enumerating the myriad ways that not including 4K disc support was a huge problem for Sony and huge boon for XBox, and concludes agreeing with Sony's ultimate choice by hypothesizing that they just weren't technically ready to do it yet:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/16/ps4-pros-missing-4k-blu-ray-drive-the-mistake-sony-had-to-make/#13dfeba539b9

If that author's hypothesis is right, then that's the best support for the idea they will add 4K support to the PS5.  Sony's now got a few 4K players on the market and they're MUCH cheaper than they were in 2016.

Idk. If you choose your gaming platform based on movie-playback support, then I question your gaming integrity...

Microsoft could release the next XBox with a built-in beer cooler, and microwave, and I still wouldn't consider buying it. xD

Sony had a choice to make; Release the PS4 Pro without 4K Blu-ray and lose some support, or include it, and price it too high and lose some support. It was a lose-lose choice for the time. I think we're both saying the same thing (I think). Except that I'd still buy it over the XBox (if I wanted it) and you didn't.

13 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Idk. If you choose your gaming platform based on movie-playback support, then I question your gaming integrity...

Microsoft could release the next XBox with a built-in beer cooler, and microwave, and I still wouldn't consider buying it. xD

My main gaming platform has always been the PC; all console games have always been secondary for me.  That's been true since I got my first PC back in 1989, and it was mostly true even before that when I mostly played Commodore 64.  The main use I've effectively gotten from the PS3 is playing Blu-Ray discs.  Same is true for XBox One X, too, particularly since Overwatch came out and zipped up to #2 on my play list behind World of Warcraft.

My love for consoles jumped dramatically last year when I bought a 43" 4K monitor that I use for both my PC and my consoles pictured at center below (left monitor is a 34" ultra-widescreen monitor oriented in portrait mode and right is a 28" 2K monitor).  Being able to switch platforms all in one setup is REALLY nice, particularly since I use the center 4K monitor for games and can browse the web or watch streaming stuff on the other monitors.  

9kwkUugyS7bT2HMyVtVGveqD_dekyJZtFHxoAtOi

Edited by fantastic_four

My biggest frustration with being an early adopter of 4K Blu-Ray discs is that most studios still don't publish titles in a true 4K format.  Disney is getting better about it, but they just released Black Panther in true 4K yet released Avengers: Infinity War in 2K up-scaled to 4K.  :mad:  This happened in the very early days of Blu-Ray, too, but by the time Blu-Ray had won over HD-DVD by 2005 most studios had stopped doing it.

My understanding is that most of the Disney Marvel Universe films will NEVER be available in true 4K because either the CGI was rendered in 2K, the cameras they recorded with saved everything they captured to a 2K format, or both.  The recently-released Avengers 1 and 2 films on 4K disc are both upscaled from 2K.

Edited by fantastic_four

26 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

My biggest frustration with being an early adopter of 4K Blu-Ray discs is that most studios still don't publish titles in a true 4K format.  Disney is getting better about it, but they just released Black Panther in true 4K yet released Avengers: Infinity War in 2K up-scaled to 4K.  :mad:  This happened in the very early days of Blu-Ray, too, but by the time Blu-Ray had won over HD-DVD by 2005 most studios had stopped doing it.

My understanding is that most of the Disney Marvel Universe films will NEVER be available in true 4K because either the CGI was rendered in 2K, the cameras they recorded with saved everything they captured to a 2K format, or both.  The recently-released Avengers 1 and 2 films on 4K disc are both upscaled from 2K.

I can't even imagine how bad Proxima Midnight's CGI is in true 4K. I don't want any of that.

Has anyone playing PS4 Spider-Man played the 2004 Spider-Man 2 game?  By far the two best aspects of the 2004 game were the web-swinging and the free, open-world play where you could go anywhere in the city you wanted to go.  It was always so amazing to just run around freely and fight crime wherever it was happening in the city.  The sequels to Spider-Man 2 somehow managed to screw both of those standout elements up, and my great hope has been that PS4 Spider-Man re-captures them and hopefully takes them to another level.

I know I spent 40 to 80 hours doing nothing in Spider-Man 2 except web-swinging around their virtual rendering of New York and ignoring all the objectives.  SO well-done and addicting.  :cloud9:

Edited by fantastic_four

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I really wanted to get a PS4 to get this game, but I went the XBox One X route after Sony announced there would be no 4K Blu-Ray support in Playstation, a move that still baffles me given that Sony created the 4K Blu-Ray format to begin with.  I really freaking loved the previous Spider-Man masterpiece game from 2004, Spider-Man 2, so I knew the potential was here for this game.  I'm hugely interested, but I doubt I'll get a PS4 just for this one game.

Same. I have an XBox One now, and if I buy a new system, it's got to be 4k ready, as I'll probably give in and get a 4k set later this year. Would love to play this, but am not going to buy a system that is already obsolete just to play one game.

I felt like Sony had screwed me in 2016 when they didn't put 4K Blu-Ray support into PS4 Pro.  I know I'm in a small group of power users, but come on, Sony!  If it's really that expensive, you could have kept me a Sony man for life by putting out two versions of the system--one standard, one "Elite" that had the 4K drive in it.  :makepoint:

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

My main gaming platform has always been the PC; all console games have always been secondary for me.  That's been true since I got my first PC back in 1989, and it was mostly true even before that when I mostly played Commodore 64.  The main use I've effectively gotten from the PS3 is playing Blu-Ray discs.  Same is true for XBox One X, too, particularly since Overwatch came out and zipped up to #2 on my play list behind World of Warcraft.

My love for consoles jumped dramatically last year when I bought a 43" 4K monitor that I use for both my PC and my consoles pictured at center below (left monitor is a 34" ultra-widescreen monitor oriented in portrait mode and right is a 28" 2K monitor).  Being able to switch platforms all in one setup is REALLY nice, particularly since I use the center 4K monitor for games and can browse the web or watch streaming stuff on the other monitors.  

9kwkUugyS7bT2HMyVtVGveqD_dekyJZtFHxoAtOi

Portrait mode monitors are cool.

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Has anyone playing PS4 Spider-Man played the 2004 Spider-Man 2 game?  By far the two best aspects of the 2004 game were the web-swinging and the free, open-world play where you could go anywhere in the city you wanted to go.  It was always so amazing to just run around freely and fight crime wherever it was happening in the city.  The sequels to Spider-Man 2 somehow managed to screw both of those standout elements up, and my great hope has been that PS4 Spider-Man re-captures them and hopefully takes them to another level.

I know I spent 40 to 80 hours doing nothing in Spider-Man 2 except web-swinging around their virtual rendering of New York and ignoring all the objectives.  SO well-done and addicting.  :cloud9:

Did you see my review? You can swing around the city fighting crime. It’s done very well- I’d even say it’s Amazing.

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Portrait mode monitors are cool.

I really, really want a 50" 4K monitor that can go portrait.  No monitor of that size supports that feature.  I assume it's a physical challenge to create a stand that can support a monitor that heavy and turn since you never see monitors above 35" with stands that rotate.

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am surprised you don't play fortnite with your cool setup?

I just have no time with twins.  Overwatch is giving me the best first-person shooter play I've ever had, and World of Warcraft sucks time up like a vacuum, so I haven't had much reason to try it.

I played all the first-person games for decades.  Hundreds of hours of online Doom 2 (at the time via modems before the Internet came out), Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, and Call of Duty.  Overwatch does everything those did with far better superhero-like characters and better-defined, unique roles for each character, so Blizzard has me by the short hairs giving me little reason to try the latest flavor of the day in that genre.

28 minutes ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

Did you see my review? You can swing around the city fighting crime. It’s done very well- I’d even say it’s Amazing.

I did.  You certainly make the open world play sound identical to Spider-Man 2, although I'm assuming improved in various ways.  Is that true, is it better?  I was mostly wondering how the web-swinging compared.  You mentioned that you haven't enjoyed a Spidey game in 10 years--was Spider-Man 2 the last one you played?  That one was 14 years ago.  I played most Spider-Man games up through about 2010, and the 2004 Spider-Man 2 title is the clear masterpiece up until perhaps this new PS4 title.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 9/20/2018 at 6:26 AM, fantastic_four said:

I just have no time with twins.  Overwatch is giving me the best first-person shooter play I've ever had, and World of Warcraft sucks time up like a vacuum, so I haven't had much reason to try it.

I played all the first-person games for decades.  Hundreds of hours of online Doom 2 (at the time via modems before the Internet came out), Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, and Call of Duty.  Overwatch does everything those did with far better superhero-like characters and better-defined, unique roles for each character, so Blizzard has me by the short hairs giving me little reason to try the latest flavor of the day in that genre.

You should try Fortnite. Trust me on this one my friend. It blows WOW and Overwatch away. (thumbsu

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Maybe Overwatch, but saying it blows away games in other genres like World of Warcraft is like saying basketball is better than baseball.  Fans of basketball might agree, but baseball fans never would.

In-genre comparisons like Overwatch vs. Fortnite work though.  That's like saying baseball blows softball away, which are two sports similar enough to validly compare.

Edited by fantastic_four

So I got really big into fortnite, great game. If I wasn’t already tier 100 for the battle pass for this season I would be playing that right now. I feel like Spider-Man is the first game in a very very long time that I want to try and 100% it , I have seen it done already on social media. The game is great, I’m hoping the DLC is good, don’t really want to see this game burn and crash after 6 months 

I have also pre ordered 

red dead redemption 

call of duty 

and the new battlefield