• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2018 at 2:11 PM, N e r V said:

I got some pages of Kirby art for $5.00 a page in the 1980’s at SDCC. Some people cry today at what I paid for a LB Cole recreation. GA original art could be found too.

Only slight interest back then for art. I was getting high at times then so Stone Age of Art seems appropriate today.:)

Do you remember the ad's back in the day from LB cole? He was willing to do ONE recreation of each size for each of his covers. You had to call/write him to see what commissions were available. It was like 300-500 a piece I think back in the early 80s. I ended up buying a Mask 2 Grease Pencil recreation years ago for a friend for like 300 bucks, I NEVER found any of the painted ones until a few years ago, and it went for NUTS prices. One of those commissions would be very VERY high on my list today.

13 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Sorry, Walking Dead art is 100% off my radar, but I'm always interested in the ins and outs of the hobby, so....why in the world would someone engage in a massive single event art dump, and why would the auction house sanction this?  Is this a sale initiated out of urgent need, FMV be damned, or something else?  I don't get it.

Sorry for adding to the thread drift.

The consignor accumulated more than 500 pieces of art from the series - he just got really into the series after the TV show launched in 2010 and admitted that, as a completist, he became obsessed with building the ultimate TWD OA collection.  Eventually, though, that OCD cycle came to an end.  

So, what do you do when you've acquired more than 500 pieces of art from a single Modern series, paying top dollar in many cases along the way?  The collection has been parsed out over the course of a year through ComicConnect, who also put on a nice gallery exhibition of his collection prior to the first tranche of his collection hitting the auction block late last year.  Should he have spread it out even longer and risked the art going further out of favor (the TV show's ratings have been on a decline for a while now)?  I think he was damned if he does, damned if he doesn't to some extent.  All things considered, a year to parse out the art seems like a reasonable strategy to me - he was going to get whacked pretty much whatever he did, so, getting it over with in a year makes sense to me. 2c  

On 11/3/2018 at 5:29 PM, vodou said:

I sure hope so. Never read the book before two days ago* when I started in on the (first of) three Absolutes. Great stuff. Being a Marvel Zombie for so long sure was stupid doh!

Oh boy...  Vertigo comics. If you have a lot of them to catch up on they could make you very poor.

3 hours ago, Garf said:

Oh boy...  Vertigo comics. If you have a lot of them to catch up on they could make you very poor.

Nice collected editions are probably less than the cumulative cover prices if bought when new adjusted for 20+ years of inflation :) and especially any honest lost opportunity cost analysis.

The added bonus is they go on the bookshelf not bagged/boarded in yet another white trash longbox!

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

All things considered, a year to parse out the art seems like a reasonable strategy to me - he was going to get whacked pretty much whatever he did, so, getting it over with in a year makes sense to me. 2c  

No sense in dragging out the pain...

1298964040_ripbandaid.gif.df268bb44370da2b0c16152fbd019e06.gif

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Boy, the OA market is sure affected by the stock market.   

Right?  The Platinum nite stuff has already achieved aggressive prices on numerous pieces, and here’s a few more examples:

- Gulacy MOKF 51 cvr = $19K

- Cardy Batman 254 cvr = $20+K

- Romita ASM 60 cvr = $150K

however, the artwork ending on Friday’s live bidding is Stoopid-cheap.  And yes, I know there’s nearly two weeks to go, but the vast majority of Friday’s offerings sit at 20-30% of FMV.

havent even looked at the items closing on Saturday ... I suspect it’s even worse. 🙁

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Boy, the OA market is sure affected by the stock market.   

We've already determined that the OA market is relatively unaffected by near-term fluctuations in stock prices, but, can be affected by persistent weakness in the stock market, with a 6-12 month lag. 

Do try to keep up. :baiting: 

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

Right?  The Platinum nite stuff has already achieved aggressive prices on numerous pieces, and here’s a few more examples:

I agree with the Cardy and Romita early bidding as being high but I think this one is sitting at about 1/2 of what the owner (or previous owner) was offered.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

- Cardy Batman 254 cvr = $20+K

- Romita ASM 60 cvr = $150K

Gulacy MOKF cover is like half of the asking price from about a decade ago, so that price is not particularly surprising.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't end with a "3" in front of it.  

Cardy cover is strong, but, who knows how much juice is left in the tank for it. 

Romita ASM 60 cover at $150K is nowhere near where most expect this to end up.  

And that $216K price on the Ditko Spidey is like, what, around 2/3rds of what it was being offered by the consignor? 

The prices are only "aggressive" if people are assuming that they will be substantially further bid up from here.  Because right now, 3 out of the 4 pieces above are nowhere near their pre-auction estimates.  Not necessarily talking about whatever estimates Heritage may have slapped on them, but, the REAL estimates (the "whisper numbers") that people are actually talking about behind the scenes. 2c 

I am a small fish in a small pond of collectors (Canada) and not privy to the hushed estimates from the big pond, however, I am able to recognize aggressive pricing on these items, especially in comparison to Friday’s offerings.

Quite frankly, i’ve no idea where the bidding will end on the aforementioned Platinum nite pieces, but time has shown these pre-auction estimates can be on the high side.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:10 AM, tth2 said:

Ever notice how you always trot out Japan as an example of a stock market not reaching new highs after 20 years?  Could it be because it's the only such major stock market that you can find?

Actually, I was incorrect earlier - the main pan-European stock market gauge, the EURO STOXX 50, didn't peak in 2007.  It actually peaked on March 13, 2000!!  It reached a high then of 5522.42 and is now, 18 1/2 years later, at 3217.  :whatthe: 

So, yes, we have Japan topping on the first day of 1990, the pan-European market topping in 2000 and China topping in 2007.  None of those indexes (Nikkei, EuroStoxx 50, Shanghai Composite) has seen an all-time high for more than 28 years, 18 years and 11 years, respectively, and those represent 3 out of the 4 largest economic regions in the world.

The trend is your friend, until it ends.  This applies to both short-term trends and long-term trends that last so long that people just assume that they are the natural course of things.  Until they aren't. 

Edited by delekkerste

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

And that $216K price on the Ditko Spidey is like, what, around 2/3rds of what it was being offered by the consignor? 

Well, there's aggressive bidding in actual dollars and aggressive pricing based on rationale not necessarily tethered to this plane of reality.  

23 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just out of curiosity, what did the Ditko v Doc Ock 2/3 Splash go for at the UK sept auction?

(shrug)  Which auction house was that? 

Ok found it. 116,850 pounds plus buyer's premium I believe....not sure if the final bid shown includes the premium.

So it was either approximately $152k or $187k depending on whether the premium was factored into that final bid. 

28 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Ok found it. 116,850 pounds plus buyer's premium I believe....not sure if the final bid shown includes the premium.

So it was either approximately $152k or $187k depending on whether the premium was factored into that final bid. 

It includes a 23% BP - hammer price was 95K GBP, which was the reserve.