• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Maybe?  When I pull it up here there's still an asterisk. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 9.45.47 AM.png

Refresh your image...

686262007_ASM18.thumb.jpg.ed09fc6fc284388763e9982a86d26915.jpg

17 minutes ago, t3quila said:

Sold for $288,000, surprising in my opinion.

I had that one pegged at $300k, so within the margin of error at those dollar levels. lol 

I totally forgot about the start time of today's auction and missed the only lot I was interested in for the whole auction, the Ditko Mr. A fanzine wraparound cover. :pullhair: 

I mean, FFS, it's Platinum Night, not Platinum Afternoon!!

But, thankfully, the piece sold for slightly above what I was planning to bid. :whew:  #noregrets 

Master Race sold for $600K ($500K plus juice).  

I'm not surprised it got that high, though, if I was Vegas and setting the over/under, I would have set the betting line at about half that as that's where I think the pre-auction bets would have been about equal.  

Donnellys be like :whee: 

Just now, delekkerste said:

I totally forgot about the start time of today's auction and missed the only lot I was interested in for the whole auction, the Ditko Mr. A fanzine wraparound cover. :pullhair: 

But, thankfully, the piece sold for slightly above what I was planning to bid. :whew:  #noregrets 

Well Done, Neo!

2127479711_GeneNeo.gif.6bc6e6f3988b13fef51eca11b83c71e0.gif

Just now, delekkerste said:

Master Race sold for $600K ($500K plus juice).  

I'm not surprised it got that high, though, if I was Vegas and setting the over/under, I would have set the betting line at about half that as that's where I think the pre-auction bets would have been about equal.  

Donnellys be like :whee: 

Now they can mis-attribute, manipulate and mis-describe for fun instead of to pay the bills. 

HOLY :censored: 

Somebody call the cops - someone STOLE that Gulacy MOKF cover at only $18K hammer ($21.6K with the juice).  That is crazy low.  If I hadn't missed the first 25 minutes of the auction and had seen that, I definitely would have thrown in a higher bid.  Wow, just wow. 

33 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Somebody call the cops - someone STOLE that Gulacy MOKF cover at only $18K hammer ($21.6K with the juice).  That is crazy low.  If I hadn't missed the first 25 minutes of the auction and had seen that, I definitely would have thrown in a higher bid.  Wow, just wow. 

Just remember, there's almost always someone in attendance who makes sure nothing goes cheap. Or rather, if anything does goes cheap, he'll be the one to get it.

That'd be my guess on this one.

Edited by Nexus

9 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Just remember, there's almost always someone in attendance who makes sure nothing goes cheap. Or rather, if anything does goes cheap, he'll be the one to get it.

That'd be my guess on this one.

Yeah, Vegas odds have Albert at 2/5, Burkey at 2/1, and anyone else ("the field") at 20/1. 

46 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah.  And it was a great looking, more mature Gulacy MOKF cover.  Seemed "cheap" to me.

Edited by stinkininkin

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Yeah.  And it was a great looking, more mature Gulacy MOKF cover.  Seemed "cheap" to me.

For sure.  He only did 4 MOKF covers (#51, 55, 64 and 67) and the consensus among the savvy collectors I spoke to was $30-40K due to the scarcity value.  $21.6K was an absolute steal...I feel bad for the consignor as I know from his having previously offered it that his expectations were quite a bit higher. 

I guess it tells you that you should always think about a reserve on something that is not slam dunk A-material. That was a great piece and deserved a better fate................... that poor guy probably is devastated but HA got their cut so they moved on..................

Edited by robert frey
typo

30 minutes ago, robert frey said:

I guess it tells you that you should always think about a reserve on something that is not slam dunk A-material. That was a great piece and deserved a better fate................... that poor guy probably is devastated but HA got their cut so they moved on..................

I've always felt that reserves aren't necessary because the auction market is pretty good at finding the right range, but on rare occasions something slips to the downside.  Happened to me just once, and it was a real "WTF just happened???" moment.  Still think no reserve auctions are the way to go, as long as you know that something just might slip through the cracks.  

Edited by stinkininkin

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

that was a very cool piece

41 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Master of What?!?! Paul Who?!?!...

$21.6K plus sales tax?!?!...

No Thanks!

I would rather buy a McSpidey DPS...

I love Gulacy and have a soft spot for MOKF, but man, 22k doesn't feel like a steal to me either.   Perhaps a touch soft, but not that much?    I mean... on the one hand I want to say that Gene and his cronies know the market better than me, on the other hand, if there are only four of them, that's not a given as the scarcity may drive the private expectations up and not have them play out / be met in public?  2c