• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I cant believe Lucas didnt make a play at this. Whats the point of having this museum with a billion dollar endowment (assumed) if you arent gonna spend half a million for the single greatest piece of narrative art of the last 60 years?

Maybe they maxed out at a lower price? hm 

22 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I wonder if this entire museum is just some huge tax-incentive effort on his part using his personal collection he already paid for, writing off costs associated with running this organization.

Regarding the Demons and Bear Frazetta that just sold. Does anyone know if the original painted barbarians might be under the darker blue clouds added subsequent to the project falling through? I know something similar was done with the cover for Eerie 5. A gamble for sure.

2 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Regarding the Demons and Bear Frazetta that just sold. Does anyone know if the original painted barbarians might be under the darker blue clouds added subsequent to the project falling through? I know something similar was done with the cover for Eerie 5. A gamble for sure.

I am not an expert on Frazetta by any means but I believe he liked to redo older pieces from time to time. Not that that answers your question in any way of course.

33 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I wonder if this entire museum is just some huge tax-incentive effort on his part using his personal collection he already paid for, writing off costs associated with running this organization.

At first I thought you were asking about this Boon Foundation that just bought the Master Race story, but, I guess you're talking about the Lucas Museum.  Given that Lucas has pledged the vast majority of his fortune to the Museum and other high-profile philanthropic endeavors, I would say, surely he isn't doing this for the tax write-off.  

I'd be more curious to learn more about this Boon Foundation.  The website says it's only been around since July 2018. 

13 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am not an expert on Frazetta by any means but I believe he liked to redo older pieces from time to time. Not that that answers your question in any way of course.

To confirm, I was asking if it was possible that the blue clouds could be removed to reveal the original (finished?) design that would include some barbarian of sorts (and this make it much more Frazetta-like). FWIW I much prefer the original Cat Woman.

14 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

At first I thought you were asking about this Boon Foundation that just bought the Master Race story, but, I guess you're talking about the Lucas Museum.  Given that Lucas has pledged the vast majority of his fortune to the Museum and other high-profile philanthropic endeavors, I would say, surely he isn't doing this for the tax write-off.  

I'd be more curious to learn more about this Boon Foundation.  The website says it's only been around since July 2018. 

yeah, but if you cant throw down on the iconic lynchpin piece of the genre, at a meaninglessly small price to a billionaire....what exactly ARE you buying?

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

The winner is a big spender. Whom I suspect would have bid substantially more if he had to. Apparently, one other big spender was asked to stand down, to lessen the chance of that. But regardless, the pool does not appear to be very deep.

I also believe what happened here is that other potential bidders were scared off/turned off by the seller's asking price (prior to consignment). And perhaps just put it out of their mind. It happened previously with this great DKR page:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-miller-and-klaus-janson-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-4-superman-vs-batman-page-40-original-art-dc-198/a/7059-92259.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Owner had shopped it privately for years with a pie-in-the-sky number. No takers. Worse, many were offended. So by the time he consigned it to HA, some big spenders who would have otherwise been engaged, had already written it off.

To further illustrate the difference a. a few years make b. when art that hasn't been shopped previously and c. when a big spender steps aside as a favor:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-gulacy-logan-s-run-6-cover-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7152-92098.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Based on that sale, it's somewhat understandable why the MOKF consignor had higher hopes (although most did consider the LOGAN'S RUN cover an overpay). Also want to clarify that I'm not lumping MOKF consignor with DKR consignor. MOKF guy is one of the good guys in the hobby and deserved a better fate!

$9600 for Ken Kelly. That's interest in his recent work that hasn't been around before.

lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F3%2F7%2F9%2F19379555%5D%2Csizedata%5B225x225%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
Lot 93130 (130 of 302)
Ken Kelly Conan and the Emerald Lotus Cover Painting Original Art (Tor Fantasy, 1999). Conan, never a fan of magic in the first place, wishes a plague on all wizards on this danger-laden cover painting by fantasy artist master Ken Kelly. Rippling with power, this oil piece was created on pressboard with an image area of 23.5" x 40" in the handsome faux-wood 30" x 46.5" open front frame. In Excellent condition. Comes with a copy of the book.

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

yeah, but if you cant throw down on the iconic lynchpin piece of the genre, at a meaninglessly small price to a billionaire....what exactly ARE you buying?

I'm not going to play the name shame game...but, some of the most well-known, long-time collectors in the hobby have either told me or people I know that they literally never heard of this story before it popped up at Heritage. :fear: 

And, no, I am not one of those collectors!  

Just now, vodou said:

$9600 for Ken Kelly. That's interest in his recent work that hasn't been around before.

lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F3%2F7%2F9%2F19379555%5D%2Csizedata%5B225x225%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
Lot 93130 (130 of 302)
Ken Kelly Conan and the Emerald Lotus Cover Painting Original Art (Tor Fantasy, 1999). Conan, never a fan of magic in the first place, wishes a plague on all wizards on this danger-laden cover painting by fantasy artist master Ken Kelly. Rippling with power, this oil piece was created on pressboard with an image area of 23.5" x 40" in the handsome faux-wood 30" x 46.5" open front frame. In Excellent condition. Comes with a copy of the book.

I am embarrassed to admit that I own this paperback book. :blush: 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I agree that this was a missed opportunity by Lucas. Especially *if* they were the buyer for the $700K Fritz the Cat. If they were willing to pony up for Fritz, they should have as well for MR...which IMO, is much more important to the development of the medium.

Once again, outclassed by the French/Belgian. Gotta hand it to this new museum. They bought well here.

Unfortunately these days, if you have kids, you have to be more worried about "The Man Who Loved Boys".

lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F3%2F2%2F4%2F19324288%5D%2Csizedata%5B225x225%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
Lot 93138 (138 of 302)
Jack Kirby and Joe Simon Boys' Ranch #1 Story Page 17 Original Art (Harvey, 1950). Concluding page from the story "The Man Who Hated Boys," the origin story of the series. Nice images of Clay Duncan, Angel, Dandy, and Wabash. Western themes were very popular in 1950, a trend S&K were able to adapt to their patented "kid gang" formula. This page is in ink, graphite, and blue pencil on illustration board, with an image area of 13" x 18", and is in Very Good condition. Production notes in the lower left corner indicate this story was intended for reprint in Harvey's Western Tales #31, but another Boys' Ranch story, "The Legend of Alby Fleezer" from issue #3 was used instead.

Lee/Williams All-Star Batman panties panties panties page sells for $6,048 w/BP. :insane: 

Miller's -script from this page shamelessly repeated below:

-script: (sleazy voice) "...bra and panties and not one inch of clothing more, walks - no, hell, she struts -..." "Detail her BRA. It'll drive them crazy, Jim." "...give us an even better angle on the babe. [...] She knows what she's got. Make them drool." "OK, Jim, I'm shameless. Let's go with an A** SHOT. Panties detailed. Balloons from above. We can't take her eyes off her. Especially since she's got one fine a**."

Edited by delekkerste

"This thing is huge - 15x21". Ugh. That makes it worse lol

lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F0%2F4%2F0%2F19040669%5D%2Csizedata%5B225x225%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
Lot 93163 (163 of 302)
Rob Liefeld and Dan Panosian X-Force #9 Double Splash Page 14-15 Cable Original Art (Marvel, 1992). Cable is looking quite dangerous on this two-page splash set-up that runs sideways across two pages of the comic. The tight headshot was created in ink over graphite on two sheets of conjoined Marvel Bristol board with a combined image area of 15.25" x 21". The two boards are joined on the reverse side with tape. Signed by Liefeld on the side margin (on the Marvel info header of the Bristol board) of Page 14. Very white boards for a piece that is over 25 years old. In Excellent condition.

I think the Winsor McCay 3 editorial cartoons were strong at slightly over $10K after BP. I have one and was considering getting another in the $5-$7K range so these surprised me. I don't think that they were especially strong pieces either compared to others I have seen.

It says something that although I have been in the game for 25 years or so that my interests are mostly going off tomorrow! 5 figures is where I draw the line, but still!

The Miller Wolvie page with no Wolverine and a bunch of dead ninjas sells for almost $17k....but yet a Wolvie vs Shingen action page sits unsold at $15k on eBay for 5 months just a few months ago. What a ridiculous hobby sometimes. And yes, I know that ebay page eventually sold.

Edited by Lago32

4 minutes ago, Lago32 said:

The Miller Wolvie page with no Wolverine and a bunch of dead ninjas sells for almost $17k....but yet a Wolvie vs Shingen action page sits unsold at $15k on eBay for 5 months just a few months ago. What a ridiculous hobby sometimes. And yes, I know that ebay page eventually sold.

$15k on eBay is apples:oranges to $17k on HA.