• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, vodou said:

That is the point. 15k on eBay is big fish small pond (sits, sits, sits). Reverse on HA (pick it up cuz why not as you were underbidder on your Top 10 picks in the rest of the sale).

But.. but... Heritage high fees! 

8 hours ago, comix4fun said:
8 hours ago, Bird said:

I am on Google Chrome and no cut outs or need to refresh, but I am not bidding yet!

That's sucks Chris!

Thanks, it's ok. Would have loved that one. I was good to go $3k-4k more.

I will never understand why people are willing to rely on technology working perfectly at critical moments. 

Maybe I'm just too risk averse but if it was something that I really really wanted, I would never put myself in a position that an ill-timed outage in the internet/HA site/audio/video (take your pick) would cause me to lose out on a piece.  

2 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Picked up the first one. It’s stunning! Thought about going for the rest, but was content at that point. I remember selling my mini-series in 1991 to help pay for a limo to prom, so to say this is peak nostalgia is an understatement!

Congrats!  That first one is iconic.  You are on a tear!

Malvin

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I got a great page from the same issue all SS but no Spider-Man. After seeing that hammer, I got a deal.

I’ve got pages from the issue too, all at about 40-50%. It was spidey and this specific page that made me Goto 27k on this page. I wouldn’t pay that on the surfer only Pages 

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

I will never understand why people are willing to rely on technology working perfectly at critical moments. 

Maybe I'm just too risk averse but if it was something that I really really wanted, I would never put myself in a position that an ill-timed outage in the internet/HA site/audio/video (take your pick) would cause me to lose out on a piece.  

You mean on a site and in a bidding process that I’ve been using for well over 10 years wiithout a single issue before yesterday?

especially when I had tried phone bidding in the past and missed items when the call didn’t come?

Short  of flying in a week ahead of time to bid in person (to avoid travel issues), drinking only bottled water and eating saltines at every meal (to avoid food poisoning ) , and dressing only in a hazmat suit ( to avoid the random disease or outbreak ), all to bid live in the room,  I’m pretty satisfied with my efforts and precautions on this one. 

16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Heritage Live just cut out in the middle of the Sienkiewicz New Mutants splash.....Anyone else having issues with bidding or the video/audio? My connection otherwise to other windows/pages is fine. 

The video seemed very delayed yesterday so I turned it off so as not to be distracted. Then, a lot closed on me without warning while I was in the middle of placing a second, counter-bid. I called and emailed them immediately, but they wouldn't re-open the lot. Anyone else have this trouble?

13 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Wow. Not too long ago the consignor came onto the boards asking for an estimate. I said the floor on that is $4k but I couldn't see it break 5 figures because there's no Wolverine on it. Most people agreed with me though one or two said it was a 10K page. I was way off but at least I covered myself and said that with auctions, you never know. I can't seem to find the thread.

The OP then said that he wanted to keep it regardless of value. I guess the temptation was too strong.

But like you say, What a ridiculous hobby.

It’s a 10k page to the people who would never pay 10k.

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Wow!  Congrats!  The Lucy strip is a classic!

Thanks!  The Lucy one was my favorite piece but I thought for sure I would loss it so I went for my 2nd favorite.  The last auction that had a bunch of Peanuts I took the opposite approach and came away empty handed and a little crushed.

15 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Wow. Not too long ago the consignor came onto the boards asking for an estimate. I said the floor on that is $4k but I couldn't see it break 5 figures because there's no Wolverine on it. Most people agreed with me though one or two said it was a 10K page. I was way off but at least I covered myself and said that with auctions, you never know. I can't seem to find the thread.

The OP then said that he wanted to keep it regardless of value. I guess the temptation was too strong.

But like you say, What a ridiculous hobby.

I saw your comment at the time and I agreed with everything you said.

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I have always bid live by phone for this reason.  In Thursday's session I put in two bid by phones.  My assistant took one of the calls because my receptionist was on another line and she put it on hold, and the other call in the back to back lots was also put on hold.. By the time I was told, I missed the auction item I wanted which I considered was really underpriced.  So I was very sad.  

So the next day I bid live on the internet for the first time.  And of course since I missed out on what I wanted I perhaps overbid on two items I won.

The timing (afternoon Eastern US) was a little inconvenient for us working stiffs. I assume the same for Pacific timezone?

Don't some of you have to get things done during the workweek? ;)

I would've bid on a few things otherwise. The text alerts aren't quite convenient enough.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Does not make any sense at all. wtf. :whatev:

I won it. Today is my birthday and I really like Mark Bright Iron Man art:) It’s not easy to find great examples. The only thing in the entire auction I targeted.

Edited by RabidFerret