• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Well, you may not know them, Chris, but somebody did this on the Hulk 387 cover ... and won!!!

I don't doubt you can win that way.....I just don't know if it's the best idea. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't doubt you can win that way.....I just don't know if it's the best idea. 

I have been paranoid enough where I watch the auction on my phone and laptop just in case something goes wrong.  For this one I just had my phone and was super nervous until the lots I was interested in closed.

Edited by batman_fan

On 11/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, NinjaSealed said:

Just saw this and dropped my jaw. $26k for a panel page published this year from a book I’ve never heard of (but that says more about me than it). Beautiful artwork but man that’s a huge chunk of change. 

48 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Just saw this and dropped my jaw. $26k for a panel page published this year from a book I’ve never heard of (but that says more about me than it). Beautiful artwork but man that’s a huge chunk of change. 

Eat your heart out, Sean Murphy!! 

3 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I don't follow current books, but that last panel is great.  David

eurobatsdet.jpg

Edited by aokartman
clarify

10 minutes ago, westform said:

Chris, you know me... so, that’s 1.

I’m not taking my hands off the wheel on a five figure piece. I would get the shakes running real money on autopilot. 

I ended up with the one piece I bid on and wanted. Ended up going for more than I anticipated. There was another very similar piece right before it that I didn't bid on hoping that it would keep someone away from the one I wanted. Then the next one came up and the bidding back an forth started. My friend was over as I was bidding and got to listen to me go "Come on, I let you have the other one" as I whined each time I had to bid again.

1 hour ago, westform said:

Make that two!

I am sometimes not in a position to take a call or be in front of a screen when a lot goes off...I will oftentimes just set it and forget it.  

Even when I know I will be bidding live (always through HeritageLive! online, never by phone), I'll sometimes put in a decent-sized proxy bid and then bid manually for further increments if need be (often not necessary).  That way if my computer crashes or something, I know I have a bid in that at least has a chance of standing up even if I am unable to bid further due to technical issues.  

I've only had a technical problem once with Heritage; out of nowhere the connection glitched out for a matter of some seconds and I lost access to HeritageLive!...I thought I got in a potential winning bid just before the glitch, but, when it came back up, I saw that my bid didn't go through.  But for that, the Adrian Tomine The Donger and Me piece might have been in my collection instead of Felix's!  lol 

3 hours ago, westform said:
16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

There’s absolutely no one i know in the hobby that’s putting thier max bid in on a five figure piece that way. Call me superstitious. 

Me 2.  Although I really have no choice because of the time difference.

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:
3 hours ago, westform said:

I’m not taking my hands off the wheel on a five figure piece. I would get the shakes running real money on autopilot. 

Doesn't mean you can't monitor the live bidding too. 

But if you put in a strong bid during internet bidding that you think has a legit chance of winning, then that's your first line of defense against some unforeseen disruption, and your live monitoring/bidding is your second line of defense.  If the first time you put in a real bid is during live bidding, then you are totally reliant on nothing unexpected happening at that time.  

16 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i was the consignor on this and the guy who asked for an estimate here on the boards. i ultimately decided to sell the page because i wanted to go after a grail or two, as books are more my thing than original art. and also, i love frank miller but this page never did anything special for me, and i just felt that getting a hulk 1 would be the better move for me and my collection. between your advice and heritage's own estimate of the probable range for the piece i never expected it to go nearly that high. obviously i am thrilled about it-- i thought if i got half that amount i would be quite pleased. so, i hope the new owner will love it more than i ever did, and i am also now the proud owner of some grails that i wanted for a long time, in large part thanks to this sale. now my mignola original art pages are staying in the collection-- those will not be on heritage anytime soon. 

Congrats on a great sale! 

9 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i was the consignor on this and the guy who asked for an estimate here on the boards. i ultimately decided to sell the page because i wanted to go after a grail or two, as books are more my thing than original art. and also, i love frank miller but this page never did anything special for me, and i just felt that getting a hulk 1 would be the better move for me and my collection. between your advice and heritage's own estimate of the probable range for the piece i never expected it to go nearly that high. obviously i am thrilled about it-- i thought if i got half that amount i would be quite pleased. so, i hope the new owner will love it more than i ever did, and i am also now the proud owner of some grails that i wanted for a long time, in large part thanks to this sale. now my mignola original art pages are staying in the collection-- those will not be on heritage anytime soon. 

Alex, congratulations on your sale. Yours is every consignors’ dream come true, to have that art smash expectations. And for it to be art you weren’t in love with that provided you with a few grails, all the better.

Well, it seems that HA’s estimate arrived short too, so I don’t feel too bad for giving you a poor estimation. You just don’t know. Just saw some art auction for 1/5 of what the seller was originally hoping for outside of the auction house market, yet it was less than what I was willing to pay. Sometimes it’s a matter of the right bidders showing up, a lesson I’ve learned from the sages of these boards.  Such a gamble. 

I have to say, after visiting your website, I feel funny giving OA estimate to the guy whose book I clearly remembered and enjoyed flipping through at the San Francisco MoMA years ago. It was Now and Then. (Sorry I didn’t buy it; then, I didn’t have the living space to accommodate so many books.) Do sell your art? Just wondering what’s your experience on the other side of the table.