• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, malvin said:

Would that really work though?  I can see it working by 10% or 20%, as in if I was only willing to spend $1K on a page, and the artist shilled an example auction up to $1,200.  I might consider bidding $1,200 or $1,300 next time just to get an example.

$25K seems out of range (and I don't know the artist).  If someone was only willing to spend $5K, would they all of a sudden start bidding $25K due to one example? I think they are more likely to tune out and use the $5K budget on other art.  If I had $25K to spend, I would rather buy 5 McFarlane Batman pages instead...

Malvin

@Panelfan1 answered better than I could do: the idea is not to sell all pages at $25k but to make high prices look like bargains. And I'm not even sure that Batman published pages will be available for sale: Marini posted a video on Facebook a few days ago (can't find it :-/ ), showing artworks "he was selecting for the coming sale" and it was only illustrations / commissions-like drawings. He also often publish on Facebook about drawings he does quickly in 10mn while drinking his morning coffee and sells 800-1000€. So it might be easier to offer such unpublished commissions at 1-2k€ (or more) when a published panel page sold $25k...

https://www.facebook.com/enrico.marini.art/

https://www.instagram.com/marini_art

Hello all,

Being a European collector with multiple artworks from Enrico Marini, I can tell you that Marini illustrated several comics series such as Gipsy, L’Etoile du desrt (Desert Star), Rapaces, Le Scorpion, Les aigles de Rome (Marini is the author and illustrator). The artworks that usually fetch the most come from the last three series I mentioned. The best pages can sell between 15 000€ (17000$) and 35 000€ (39700$) in European auctions and private sells. Therefore it’s not uncommon in Europe for this artist to sell at such a price. The buyer of that sale might have been European either living in the US or in Europe. 

Personally I would have estimated the value of this page to be lower because it’s not one of the best in the album. I think in Europe it would have gone for between 15000€ and 25000€ (17k$ and 28k$), because of the novelty of being a batman by a recognized European artist and the potential of reaching a wider market (EU and US).

Therefore the price might be justified.

I thought I wasn’t in for a purchase in the recent Heritage Auction … and then a piece popped up at the end that caught my attention. I threw in a bid and got a post auction summary that I had won. WOOT. A nice Churchill Hulk in splendid 90’s glory! I will admit that I am a novice at how/when/what pieces are sold at various times for these auctions but this surprised me as I didn’t see it until very late and it was not on my watch list. I have to think if I had consigned this piece I would have been disappointed that it wasn’t listed earlier. Anyone know how this works? Was this a consignor throwing it at HA too late to get it on the radar or does HA just hold back stuff and throw it up after the majority of items have sold? It is possible I missed it earlier somehow but I doubt it.

Original Comic Art:Panel Pages, Ian Churchill, Scott Hanna, and Art Thibert Cable #34 StoryPage 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1996)....

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

I thought I wasn’t in for a purchase in the recent Heritage Auction … and then a piece popped up at the end that caught my attention. I threw in a bid and got a post auction summary that I had won. WOOT. A nice Churchill Hulk in splendid 90’s glory! I will admit that I am a novice at how/when/what pieces are sold at various times for these auctions but this surprised me as I didn’t see it until very late and it was not on my watch list. I have to think if I had consigned this piece I would have been disappointed that it wasn’t listed earlier. Anyone know how this works? Was this a consignor throwing it at HA too late to get it on the radar or does HA just hold back stuff and throw it up after the majority of items have sold? It is possible I missed it earlier somehow but I doubt it.

Original Comic Art:Panel Pages, Ian Churchill, Scott Hanna, and Art Thibert Cable #34 StoryPage 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1996)....

Congrats on the win Dave, it's an Incredible piece(thumbsu I was the underbidder - lost out in 2012 toodoh!

These Churchill Cable prices were very attractive; I bought the previous week's Storm splash as a Christmas gift.

HA generally lists Sunday Auction items about a week before they end, and there's often at least one high quality item per auction that catches my eye.

47 minutes ago, O. said:

Congrats on the win Dave, it's an Incredible piece(thumbsu I was the underbidder - lost out in 2012 toodoh!

These Churchill Cable prices were very attractive; I bought the previous week's Storm splash as a Christmas gift.

HA generally lists Sunday Auction items about a week before they end, and there's often at least one high quality item per auction that catches my eye.

Thanks for the info! I don't think I remember this one from 2012. It has only appreciated $23 - interesting. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

My order finally shipped :banana:

It has been a while since I bought anything from HA, how can you see your order status? Under my orders it only has invoice info but no other info.

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

It has been a while since I bought anything from HA, how can you see your order status? Under my orders it only has invoice info but no other info.

You should get an email notification that it shipped and then under your order it should have a tracking number. 

59 minutes ago, Bird said:

Here is s screen shot of mine

94ABF16B-711F-4FAA-9C97-BB37BFD2F41B.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

5 hours ago, O. said:

Churchill is criminally underappreciated... the Storm splash depreciated $35:o

I tend to agree. I appreciate his older style so much more than how he is drawing currently so getting some older art is/was a priority.

28 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Just curious, so does HA still accept credit cards? There were talks earlier in the thread that that option didn’t appear anymore. 

Yes, paypal or cc are accepted for invoices $2500 and under. I asked before the auction and that was what I was told. They also have a credit application for 4 month payment and ask for 3 comic dealers that you have purchased from. I didn't like that part but didn't need the payment plan so the point is moot.