• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

Big congrats (again), by the way.  You should take a picture with a comic or something else well known next to the strips so the folks who aren't familiar with vintage comic strips can see how big they are.

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Big congrats (again), by the way.  You should take a picture with a comic or something else well known next to the strips so the folks who aren't familiar with vintage comic strips can see how big they are.

Good suggestion. I will see about taking a picture this weekend and posting 

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My life is now complete at least until the next round of Peanuts strips come up

EE68051C-105F-4E9D-91BC-E3BE1F24ECE4.jpeg

I've never collected strip art, but I almost bid on the bottom one in HA.  Something about that one called to me as a special piece!  Glad you got it!

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Even if I live to be 100, it still won’t be enough time to understand the appeal of Peanuts.

Lord knows I’ve tried.  (shrug)

In a more serious note I can try to say how and why I love them so much

1. Grew up during a much simpler time where I lived reading the comics in the newspaper every day. Peanuts was my favorite but I also liked Tumbleweeds, Hagar, BC, and Wizard of ID. So as a kid I loved Peanuts and they hit a nostalgic spot for me.  I should also mention I grew up eating butternut bread.

2. Certain themes in Peanuts really resonate in my personal life. I am hesitant to call this nostalgia but maybe someone would disagree 

3. Schulz was a master artist. His pen strokes are amazing to look at.  Even though the work is very simplistic it is really well done.

4. The physical size of the work is staggering especially when you grew up looking at them in the newspapers. I like that, similar to my awe when I first bought a twice up pages and haven’t bought a regular sized one since. 

20 hours ago, tth2 said:

Here is one of the strips with two GA comics for reference. 

5EE42024-0841-4AB3-91FF-766DCD8AFE8D.jpeg

11 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Even if I live to be 100, it still won’t be enough time to understand the appeal of Peanuts.

Lord knows I’ve tried.  (shrug)

Clearly you're in a very small minority.

Actually, if you're talking about post-1960s Peanuts, I can understand where you're coming from.  Anything with Peppermint Pattie, Spike and/or Woodstock were just horrific.  As with anything, it's impossible for any individual to maintain quality for decades, especially if they have to churn out something every day.  This was Watterson's brilliance, to go out while he was still on top. 

But Peanuts from the 1950s and 1960s, particularly early 60s, is fantastic. 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Timely said:

I've never collected strip art, but I almost bid on the bottom one in HA.  Something about that one called to me as a special piece!  Glad you got it!

I had the same feeling about it but the top one was my #1 "must have" but I thought the bottom one was "cheap" and was worried I would loss the bidding on my #1 so I did a cut bid and won.  I figured at least I got one I really liked but surprisingly I won my #1 too with a cut bid.  It seemed like the big bidders didn't show up for the Peanuts strips this round which was good news for me.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I had the same feeling about it but the top one was my #1 "must have" but I thought the bottom one was "cheap" and was worried I would loss the bidding on my #1 so I did a cut bid and won.  I figured at least I got one I really liked but surprisingly I won my #1 too with a cut bid.  It seemed like the big bidders didn't show up for the Peanuts strips this round which was good news for me.

Big is a relative term. You were the big bidder this round.  The pre- peanuts strip with the boy and his dog went fairly high ( but I will admit I have no comparison info)

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

It seemed like the big bidders didn't show up for the Peanuts strips this round which was good news for me.

I think the prices were very strong compared to literally any time except for the crazy spike into six figures for Peanuts (can't remember whether it was last year or earlier).

Just now, Panelfan1 said:

Big is a relative term. You were the big bidder this round.  The pre- peanuts strip with the boy and his dog went fairly high ( but I will admit I have no comparison info)

There have been other ones sold on Heritage (at least one) and they seem to go pretty high although that was the highest I believe.

OMG, am I now a BSD and will I be invited to the Cabal meetings hm