• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

As an enthusiast, I enjoy Platinum Night as it dramatically raises the level of excitement (and visibility) for the premier lots in the auction.  As a buyer, however, I don't like gearing up for two days of auctions (unless I just write-off Platinum Night as a spectator sport) and the tieried strcture treats Session 2 lots like the second day of the NFL Draft-- can take a little joy out of winning.  Previously, I really enjoyed letting the auction results decide which were the superstar pieces, not some pre-auction estimates.  As an occassional consigner of mostly non-Platinum Night pieces, I feel that the Session 2 lots lose some sizzle that previously had in the wake of key lots, especially those from similar artists (ie, Kirby cover sells for $100k+ right before my twice-up panel pages hits the block).  My 2c

Edited by GreatEscape

Since HA is already providing Three-tiered consignment services (Platinum, Friday live auctioneer, Saturday online), they should charge accordingly.  

I mean, is it really fair for Saturday consignments to be dinged for the same fees as Platinum nite Auctions, which have their own added cost and live auctioneer?

perhaps suggested consignment fees to sellers for Signature Series OA Auctions should be as follows:

1.  Platinum nite = 20%

2. Friday live = 15%

3. Saturday = 10%

the above would be a reflection of the decreasing service effort/cost for the consignments. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Since HA is already providing Three-tiered consignment services (Platinum, Friday live auctioneer, Saturday online), they should charge accordingly.  

I mean, is it really fair for Saturday consignments to be dinged for the same fees as Platinum nite Auctions, which have their own added cost and live auctioneer?

perhaps suggested consignment fees to sellers for Signature Series OA Auctions should be as follows:

1.  Platinum nite = 20%

2. Friday live = 15%

3. Saturday = 10%

the above would be a reflection of the decreasing service effort/cost for the consignments. 

Thoughts?

I can imagine no incentive for them to actually do this - they'd need to see a huge increase in volume to even break even.

1.  Platinum nite = 20%

2. Friday live = 15%

3. Saturday = 10%

Thoughts?

I'd imagine the opposite is closer to reality.

It's a lot harder to get a 200k+ consignment than a run of the mill 2k-8k interior page / cover.

Edited by Pete Marino

1 minute ago, Pete Marino said:

I'd imagine the opposite is closer to reality.

It's a lot harder to get a 200k+ consignment than a run of the mill 2k-8k interior page / cover.

Perhaps, but last time I spoke with Lon, minimum value to qualify for Platinum nite =$10K.  

Granted, that was a year ago and it may have increased.

1.  Platinum nite = 20%

2. Friday live = 15%

3. Saturday = 10%

Thoughts?

The Saturday lots are already a lot of work relative to their payoff.   YOu still need to scan, write up, ship, etc all of those low margin lots.     Not to mention pay for the internet portal.     How much is 45 seconds (the time for one lot) worth of auctioneer time worth?   Not much.    Let's be generous and say $5 because at that rate, you could pay the auctioneer about $350/hr.   

So.   For $5 worth of auctioneer time, are you going to change the percentages, if you're the auction house?

If your goal was to charge 'fairly' you'd be charging the platinum lots a smaller percentage, not a larger one, much in the same way some real estate broker will charge a lower percentage fee on a really valuable home (because the total dollars are still higher...).

After all, if you have a $100,000 item, and it costs the same or almost the same for them to sell it as it does some $1,000 item, why should the guy selling the $1,000 item pay so much less?   Its not 'fair.'

So, for all kinds of reasons, the percentages aren't going to be lower for saturday lots anytime soon IMO.

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The Saturday lots are already a lot of work relative to their payoff.   YOu still need to scan, write up, ship, etc all of those low margin lots.     Not to mention pay for the internet portal.     How much is 45 seconds (the time for one lot) worth of auctioneer time worth?   Not much.    Let's be generous and say $5 because at that rate, you could pay the auctioneer about $350/hr.   

So.   For $5 worth of auctioneer time, are you going to change the percentages, if you're the auction house?

If your goal was to charge 'fairly' you'd be charging the platinum lots a smaller percentage, not a larger one, much in the same way some real estate broker will charge a lower percentage fee on a really valuable home (because the total dollars are still higher...).

After all, if you have a $100,000 item, and it costs the same or almost the same for them to sell it as it does some $1,000 item, why should the guy selling the $1,000 item pay so much less?   Its not 'fair.'

So, for all kinds of reasons, the percentages aren't going to be lower for saturday lots anytime soon IMO.

I agree, and if you get accepted into a signature auction on any night (as a consignor), consider yourself lucky since you get the widest possible exposure to worldwide buyers and well-defined service per your contract.  David

I was just thinking about this page:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-83-splash-page-10-the-inhumans-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7192-91023.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

I'm curious how it's going to do (it's not mine).  I can't think of the last fresh Kirby FF book to break up before this one. Was it the 101? That was over 10 years ago, as I recall.  Should be interesting.

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-83-splash-page-10-the-inhumans-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7192-91023.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

I'm curious how it's going to do (it's not mine).  I can't think of the last fresh Kirby FF book to break up before this one. Was it the 101? That was over 10 years ago, as I recall.  Should be interesting.

I think that one is pretty spectacular.  I am terrible at guessing prices but I was thinking closer to $50k

58 minutes ago, Bird said:

can anyone fill me in on acceptable payment options? Is there a CC limit? Is paypal an option? 

Click Help on the top right, see:

https://www.ha.com/c/ref/faq.zx?ic=FAQ-121913

It doesn't seem like it.  At least not any more.

But I used a credit card as recently as 2017.

It looks like they'll take time payments, over 4 months (get pre-approved).

7 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Click Help on the top right, see:

https://www.ha.com/c/ref/faq.zx?ic=FAQ-121913

It doesn't seem like it.  At least not any more.

But I used a credit card as recently as 2017.

It looks like they'll take time payments, over 4 months (get pre-approved).

Thank you! I was reading some pretty fine print there looking for the answer. Your link found my answer, or at least allowed me to ask directly. Thanks!

Edited by Bird

On 11/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, artcollector9 said:

good point. I think we are getting there. There are more and more museum shows. Lucas' museum of narrative art is going to highlight comic art as a bone fide narrative medium. 

Rock music has much the same uphill battle, which it's winning. The release of the Beatles White Album this weekend  has been met with much interesting scholarship and reconsideration of the record that at one time was only a 'pop' record by a 'pop' group. For example there was a three day symposium at Monmouth University on the importance of the record in a historical and sociological context!

I know off topic, but the new White Album package is so amazing and well done.  And as you were alluding to, the White Album was dismissed upon release as a step down from Sgt. Pepper and their other work.  I looked down on it before.  The new package is making me reassess and appreciate how great it really is.

There are so many more scholarly critical websites now on comics than there were even five years ago.  I think that means there is more interest in looking at it as an art form than ever before.

9 hours ago, glendgold said:

The FF 99 Kirby/Sinnott book got split up about 4 years ago.

Edited by romitaman

6 hours ago, romitaman said:

The FF 99 Kirby/Sinnott book got split up about 4 years ago.

Right!  And that has somewhat similar content (Inhumans) but not such a flashy interior splash.  In any case, hope everyone does well in the auction today.