November HA OA auction
3 3

495 posts in this topic

42,358 posts
19 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Maybe?  When I pull it up here there's still an asterisk. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 9.45.47 AM.png

Refresh your image...

686262007_ASM18.thumb.jpg.ed09fc6fc284388763e9982a86d26915.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,185 posts
4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Refresh your image...

686262007_ASM18.thumb.jpg.ed09fc6fc284388763e9982a86d26915.jpg

Sold for $288,000, surprising in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,358 posts
17 minutes ago, t3quila said:

Sold for $288,000, surprising in my opinion.

I had that one pegged at $300k, so within the margin of error at those dollar levels. lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,259 posts

I totally forgot about the start time of today's auction and missed the only lot I was interested in for the whole auction, the Ditko Mr. A fanzine wraparound cover. :pullhair: 

I mean, FFS, it's Platinum Night, not Platinum Afternoon!!

But, thankfully, the piece sold for slightly above what I was planning to bid. :whew:  #noregrets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,259 posts

Master Race sold for $600K ($500K plus juice).  

I'm not surprised it got that high, though, if I was Vegas and setting the over/under, I would have set the betting line at about half that as that's where I think the pre-auction bets would have been about equal.  

Donnellys be like :whee: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,358 posts
Just now, delekkerste said:

I totally forgot about the start time of today's auction and missed the only lot I was interested in for the whole auction, the Ditko Mr. A fanzine wraparound cover. :pullhair: 

I mean, FFS, it's Platinum Night, not Platinum Afternoon!!

But, thankfully, the piece sold for slightly above what I was planning to bid. :whew:  #noregrets 

Well Done, Neo!

2127479711_GeneNeo.gif.6bc6e6f3988b13fef51eca11b83c71e0.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,358 posts
Just now, delekkerste said:

Master Race sold for $600K ($500K plus juice).  

I'm not surprised it got that high, though, if I was Vegas and setting the over/under, I would have set the betting line at about half that as that's where I think the pre-auction bets would have been about equal.  

Donnellys be like :whee: 

Now they can mis-attribute, manipulate and mis-describe for fun instead of to pay the bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
739 posts
31 minutes ago, t3quila said:

Sold for $288,000, surprising in my opinion.

Wonder if a boardie got it?  Would love to know!

Edited by jjonahjameson11
Damn autocorrect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,259 posts

HOLY :censored: 

Somebody call the cops - someone STOLE that Gulacy MOKF cover at only $18K hammer ($21.6K with the juice).  That is crazy low.  If I hadn't missed the first 25 minutes of the auction and had seen that, I definitely would have thrown in a higher bid.  Wow, just wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,372 posts
33 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

HOLY :censored: 

Somebody call the cops - someone STOLE that Gulacy MOKF cover at only $18K hammer ($21.6K with the juice).  That is crazy low.  If I hadn't missed the first 25 minutes of the auction and had seen that, I definitely would have thrown in a higher bid.  Wow, just wow. 

Just remember, there's almost always someone in attendance who makes sure nothing goes cheap. Or rather, if anything does goes cheap, he'll be the one to get it.

That'd be my guess on this one.

Edited by Nexus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,259 posts
9 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Just remember, there's almost always someone in attendance who makes sure nothing goes cheap. Or rather, if anything does goes cheap, he'll be the one to get it.

That'd be my guess on this one.

Yeah, Vegas odds have Albert at 2/5, Burkey at 2/1, and anyone else ("the field") at 20/1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,321 posts
46 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

HOLY :censored: 

Somebody call the cops - someone STOLE that Gulacy MOKF cover at only $18K hammer ($21.6K with the juice).  That is crazy low.  If I hadn't missed the first 25 minutes of the auction and had seen that, I definitely would have thrown in a higher bid.  Wow, just wow. 

Yeah.  And it was a great looking, more mature Gulacy MOKF cover.  Seemed "cheap" to me.

Edited by stinkininkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,259 posts
1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Yeah.  And it was a great looking, more mature Gulacy MOKF cover.  Seemed "cheap" to me.

For sure.  He only did 4 MOKF covers (#51, 55, 64 and 67) and the consensus among the savvy collectors I spoke to was $30-40K due to the scarcity value.  $21.6K was an absolute steal...I feel bad for the consignor as I know from his having previously offered it that his expectations were quite a bit higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
369 posts

I guess it tells you that you should always think about a reserve on something that is not slam dunk A-material. That was a great piece and deserved a better fate................... that poor guy probably is devastated but HA got their cut so they moved on..................

Edited by robert frey
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,321 posts
30 minutes ago, robert frey said:

I guess it tells you that you should always think about a reserve on something that is not slam dunk A-material. That was a great piece and deserved a better fate................... that poor guy probably is devastated but HA got their cut so they moved on..................

I've always felt that reserves aren't necessary because the auction market is pretty good at finding the right range, but on rare occasions something slips to the downside.  Happened to me just once, and it was a real "WTF just happened???" moment.  Still think no reserve auctions are the way to go, as long as you know that something just might slip through the cracks.  

Edited by stinkininkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,288 posts

There needs to be a word for when you realize the Heritage auction and your banking website are open in tabs right next to each other...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,002 posts

i walked away for 1 minute - as bidding was moving slow - then - my main interest sold . and below where I was going to go. oh well.  not as lucky as Gene. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,324 posts
2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I totally forgot about the start time of today's auction and missed the only lot I was interested in for the whole auction, the Ditko Mr. A fanzine wraparound cover. :pullhair: 

I mean, FFS, it's Platinum Night, not Platinum Afternoon!!

But, thankfully, the piece sold for slightly above what I was planning to bid. :whew:  #noregrets 

that was a very cool piece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3