November HA OA auction
3 3

494 posts in this topic

723 posts
9 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i was the consignor on this and the guy who asked for an estimate here on the boards. i ultimately decided to sell the page because i wanted to go after a grail or two, as books are more my thing than original art. and also, i love frank miller but this page never did anything special for me, and i just felt that getting a hulk 1 would be the better move for me and my collection. between your advice and heritage's own estimate of the probable range for the piece i never expected it to go nearly that high. obviously i am thrilled about it-- i thought if i got half that amount i would be quite pleased. so, i hope the new owner will love it more than i ever did, and i am also now the proud owner of some grails that i wanted for a long time, in large part thanks to this sale. now my mignola original art pages are staying in the collection-- those will not be on heritage anytime soon. 

Alex, congratulations on your sale. Yours is every consignors’ dream come true, to have that art smash expectations. And for it to be art you weren’t in love with that provided you with a few grails, all the better.

Well, it seems that HA’s estimate arrived short too, so I don’t feel too bad for giving you a poor estimation. You just don’t know. Just saw some art auction for 1/5 of what the seller was originally hoping for outside of the auction house market, yet it was less than what I was willing to pay. Sometimes it’s a matter of the right bidders showing up, a lesson I’ve learned from the sages of these boards.  Such a gamble. 

I have to say, after visiting your website, I feel funny giving OA estimate to the guy whose book I clearly remembered and enjoyed flipping through at the San Francisco MoMA years ago. It was Now and Then. (Sorry I didn’t buy it; then, I didn’t have the living space to accommodate so many books.) Do sell your art? Just wondering what’s your experience on the other side of the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,735 posts
On 11/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, comix4fun said:

I don't doubt you can win that way.....I just don't know if it's the best idea. 

Couldn't agree more. I used to do it this way ... then the shilling fiasco brought a lot to light about the HA bidding process ... not part of my plans any longer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933 posts
6 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Alex, congratulations on your sale. Yours is every consignors’ dream come true, to have that art smash expectations. And for it to be art you weren’t in love with that provided you with a few grails, all the better.

Well, it seems that HA’s estimate arrived short too, so I don’t feel too bad for giving you a poor estimation. You just don’t know. Just saw some art auction for 1/5 of what the seller was originally hoping for outside of the auction house market, yet it was less than what I was willing to pay. Sometimes it’s a matter of the right bidders showing up, a lesson I’ve learned from the sages of these boards.  Such a gamble. 

I have to say, after visiting your website, I feel funny giving OA estimate to the guy whose book I clearly remembered and enjoyed flipping through at the San Francisco MoMA years ago. It was Now and Then. (Sorry I didn’t buy it; then, I didn’t have the living space to accommodate so many books.) Do sell your art? Just wondering what’s your experience on the other side of the table. 

thank you again, and thank you for the advice jay. i am a professional artist, but not in comics. so i really don't know that much about OA values, though i do pay attention to some of the auction prices here and there. 

that's nice that you found my book at a museum bookstore! i heard it had great distribution. i just had a booth this weekend at a convention called Designer Con at the anaheim convention center. it's not for comics, it's all about art, toys, and other pop culture related collectible stuff. i sold lots of prints and books there, and did some drawings in the books for people as well. here's one i did yesterday inside one of my books. these were pretty popular and i may offer some on my site soon.

IMG_3500.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549 posts

So what did folks think about Saturday's offerings?  What were some of the "well bought"?  Or some of the "maybe/definitely overpaid"?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
723 posts
1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thank you again, and thank you for the advice jay. i am a professional artist, but not in comics. so i really don't know that much about OA values, though i do pay attention to some of the auction prices here and there. 

that's nice that you found my book at a museum bookstore! i heard it had great distribution. i just had a booth this weekend at a convention called Designer Con at the anaheim convention center. it's not for comics, it's all about art, toys, and other pop culture related collectible stuff. i sold lots of prints and books there, and did some drawings in the books for people as well. here's one i did yesterday inside one of my books. these were pretty popular and i may offer some on my site soon.

IMG_3500.jpg

I just heard about Designer Con. An artist I made acquaintance with over the years of attending cons, Mark Bodē and his wife Molly, were there selling cobalt-60 and Cheech Wizard merch. I wish I could’ve gone. How I miss Cali. 

Thats’s cool looking Xenomorph. The sketch is perfectly in tune with your theme, consumption consuming itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,789 posts
24 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

So what did folks think about Saturday's offerings?  What were some of the "well bought"?  Or some of the "maybe/definitely overpaid"?  

Of the ones I was tracking on Saturday, this seemed high compared to other Adkins/Wood Thunder Agents pages (although, it is a good action page)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/wally-wood-and-dan-adkins-thunder-agents-6-story-page-13-original-art-tower-1966-/a/7192-95030.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

 

There were also a few Luis Dominguez covers sold that I had noticed on Anthony’s website recently which sold for close to what Anthony was asking for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts
6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

:banana:  paid my invoice this morning 

Yeah, I am all paid up as well. My tax was only $186 though.

Edited by Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,823 posts

I didn't bid on anything on Saturday but some of the prices seemed mixed,

Overstreet cover, Marvel Comics #1 for $3360, seemed somewhat reasonable.

Submariner #50 panel page by Everett for $9000. seemed pretty darn strong but a very nice page

Trimpe Hulk 172 splash for $3840 seemed a little high but not crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,630 posts
7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

:banana:  paid my invoice this morning 

:whatthe: I usually don't pay until they've sent me at least one reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,823 posts
4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

:whatthe: I usually don't pay until they've sent me at least one reminder.

I will have the framing stuff ordered tonight !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235 posts
2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I didn't bid on anything on Saturday but some of the prices seemed mixed,

Overstreet cover, Marvel Comics #1 for $3360, seemed somewhat reasonable.

Submariner #50 panel page by Everett for $9000. seemed pretty darn strong but a very nice page

Trimpe Hulk 172 splash for $3840 seemed a little high but not crazy.

 

I bid on that Overstreet cover - thought it was well bought just didn't really know what to expect it to achieve.

The Subby 50 page did well but it was a pretty strong example, I agree

Overall, pretty much everything I was watching achieved pretty strong prices - market still good based on this one

Edited by mtlevy1
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,129 posts
8 hours ago, Hekla said:

Of the ones I was tracking on Saturday, this seemed high compared to other Adkins/Wood Thunder Agents pages (although, it is a good action page)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/wally-wood-and-dan-adkins-thunder-agents-6-story-page-13-original-art-tower-1966-/a/7192-95030.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

 

There were also a few Luis Dominguez covers sold that I had noticed on Anthony’s website recently which sold for close to what Anthony was asking for

yeah that was a head scratcher - because I used to own that page until very recently, and no way did I value it at any where near that. This is an aberration. I watched the bidding and it looks like 2 sets of proxy bids shot it up immediately, and then there were no live bids at all.  The auction closed almost immediately. I surmised that 2 guys placed proxy bids 3x market to get it, not thinking someone else had the same idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265 posts
3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

yeah that was a head scratcher - because I used to own that page until very recently, and no way did I value it at any where near that. This is an aberration. I watched the bidding and it looks like 2 sets of proxy bids shot it up immediately, and then there were no live bids at all.  The auction closed almost immediately. I surmised that 2 guys placed proxy bids 3x market to get it, not thinking someone else had the same idea. 

Congrats to the consignor. My condolences to you...and the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,933 posts
On 11/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, vodou said:

Wrong people. The trend is your friend until it isn't. Everything is cyclical. The long trend (superhero, 30+ years) has been nostalgia, which is dying off (literally and figuratively). The question isn't how high will the current (bull) chart take us in our lifetimes but rather what will disrupt (kill the bull) that chart and what will the new chart represent (non-superhero? why?) Much different people will be attracted soon enough with notably different tastes.

Neither one of us is a slave to trends, I think that's borne out by our collections, no?    

Different people, yes.   At what price level though?   Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but I don't see it being a level worth talking about.

I don't think the "new chart" is comics at all, in other words.    What it will be is up for debate but I don't see how comics don't eventually become "your father's collectible."

   

 

 

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,933 posts
On 11/16/2018 at 2:07 PM, zhamlau said:

I wonder if this entire museum is just some huge tax-incentive effort on his part using his personal collection he already paid for, writing off costs associated with running this organization.

That would be spending a dollar to save 30 cents and hoping to come out on top..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,933 posts

These auctions are great entertainment :popcorn:   The best part is how much you pay for a ticket to watch the show is up to you :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,257 posts
23 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That would be spending a dollar to save 30 cents and hoping to come out on top..

I don't think Lucas is trying to pull a fast one, but let's not forget that he was looking for somebody (city) to donate the land, the building, and probably lots of tax breaks for a long time. Not sure how the dust on all that settled at the end of the day, but it wasn't just straight tax deductions (spending $1 to save $0.30). If he did get most/all of those wants, then if nothing else, he gets to have his name up in lights again (yea!) and have someone else pay for his collection to be on permanent display, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,257 posts
39 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Neither one of us is a slave to trends, I think that's borne out by our collections, no?    

Different people, yes.   At what price level though?   Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but I don't see it being a level worth talking about.

I don't think the "new chart" is comics at all, in other words.    What it will be is up for debate but I don't see how comics don't eventually become "your father's collectible."

   

 

 

We're not, but only to the extent that we exclude nostalgia. You and I, along with everyone else here is here for nostalgia not Art Appreciation 201 (where we talk about something other than how to most perfectly replicate a photograph using only pencil, brush, ink or airbrush!) There is a lot of art out there that's bought and sold daily for reasons other than nostalgia and (product) use, I'm suggesting that regular six figure hammers will get more of those eyes on "our" stuff than we're used to and we should expect the unexpected to follow. That's all :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
689 posts
1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Neither one of us is a slave to trends, I think that's borne out by our collections, no?    

Different people, yes.   At what price level though?   Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but I don't see it being a level worth talking about.

I don't think the "new chart" is comics at all, in other words.    What it will be is up for debate but I don't see how comics don't eventually become "your father's collectible."

   

 

 

Agree that this particular field for investment purposes will take a long, but slow, decline once heat is off or the next recession.  But, that's not really why some collectors ever bought in the first place.  Nobody gets hurt in a big downturn if you bought for appreciation of the art, because that doesn't go away.  (glass half full) David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3