• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

I was part of the quasi-discussion. As far as I can tell, the price has befuddled American collectors. I certainly would like to hear the European explanation, ahem, perspective. 

As a disclaimer, I’ve never heard of the artist so I’m operating on a lot of (likely erroneous) assumptions. :foryou:

12 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I was part of the quasi-discussion. As far as I can tell, the price has befuddled American collectors. I certainly would like to hear the European explanation, ahem, perspective. 

As a disclaimer, I’ve never heard of the artist so I’m operating on a lot of (likely erroneous) assumptions. :foryou:

The art and story were amazing in the book! And he has all of the other pages from the book. So that may be why the high price? But it defies any logic to me.

42 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

The art and story were amazing in the book! And he has all of the other pages from the book. So that may be why the high price? But it defies any logic to me.

42 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

just a conspiracy theory -but what if he had the art put in and had someone bid it up to make the art more valuable so he could sell the rest? totally made up theory, with no backing. just throwing it out there. if someone knows the consignor, feel free to debunk.

6 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

just a conspiracy theory -but what if he had the art put in and had someone bid it up to make the art more valuable so he could sell the rest? totally made up theory, with no backing. just throwing it out there. if someone knows the consignor, feel free to debunk.

I see where you’re coming from but I give the benefit of the doubt to the artist that there’s no intention to manipulate the market. He may simply be that good with that level of demand. 

11 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Anything is possible. He was the consignor.

21 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

You're not alone with that theory.  That was my first thought too. 

Any guesses on what caused these 2 Batman/Catwoman pages to go for 4-6 K on Saturday? (Same price as a McFarlane Detective page!)  I was watching and was floored by the hammer.

Is there someone with deep pockets actively looking for Catwoman art??! :fear:(...please god, no!)

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

1 hour ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Any guesses on what caused these 2 Batman/Catwoman pages to go for 4-6 K on Saturday? (Same price as a McFarlane Detective page!)  I was watching and was floored by the hammer.

Is there someone with deep pockets actively looking for Catwoman art??! :fear:(...please god, no!)

nice pages for sure. have not studied the market. have you looked at previous sales (if any ) to see if there is any precedent/pattern? 

8 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

That's clearly my thought as well, knowing that there is an exhibition / sale planned at Galerie 9ème Art in 2 weeks... http://galerie9art.fr/index.php?content=soon&i18n=en

Since you mentioned a French Art Galleries I want to remind US buyers that Cornette de Saint Cyr, the ones who negligently packed my $7K Mignola with foam cushioning on one side and one piece of hard board on the other, which then  got bent to heck in transit, has given me the final "stop already, we are NOT doing anything for you". A real va t'faire foutre! So buy with extreme caution from them.

I would file an international lawsuit but haven't a clue where to begin!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Since you mentioned a French Art Galleries I want to remind US buyers that Cornette de Saint Cyr, the ones who negligently packed my $7K Mignola with foam cushioning on one side and one piece of hard board on the other, which then  got bent to heck in transit, has given me the final "stop already, we are NOT doing anything for you". A real va t'faire foutre! So buy with extreme caution from them.

I would file an international lawsuit but haven't a clue where to begin!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ugh, that is terribly disappointing. Maybe a new thread exposing this at the time of their auction may motivate them to provide better service. 

Just now, JadeGiant said:

Ugh, that is terribly disappointing. Maybe a new thread exposing this at the time of their auction may motivate them to provide better service. 

It is clear that they won't do anything. They even held back info for a year that FedEx was willing to reimburse $115 or so for the shipping damage but only that because it was packed inadequately When I sent my final "what will you do about this?" email I got back pages of French legalize finished with "Remember you signed a waiver" in English as the response (that was where I found out about the FedEx offer). The waiver could be argued as under duress as they never mentioned it on the web site, auction site, or in correspondence until after the wire payment was processed and then said you need to sign this or we won't release the art and I couldn't recall th ewire transfer. I signed the waiver (under duress) at that point assuming it was a CYA and not that they would pack it negligently as they did.

6 hours ago, NicoV said:

That's clearly my thought as well, knowing that there is an exhibition / sale planned at Galerie 9ème Art in 2 weeks... http://galerie9art.fr/index.php?content=soon&i18n=en

Would that really work though?  I can see it working by 10% or 20%, as in if I was only willing to spend $1K on a page, and the artist shilled an example auction up to $1,200.  I might consider bidding $1,200 or $1,300 next time just to get an example.

$25K seems out of range (and I don't know the artist).  If someone was only willing to spend $5K, would they all of a sudden start bidding $25K due to one example? I think they are more likely to tune out and use the $5K budget on other art.  If I had $25K to spend, I would rather buy 5 McFarlane Batman pages instead...

Malvin

5 hours ago, malvin said:

Would that really work though?  I can see it working by 10% or 20%, as in if I was only willing to spend $1K on a page, and the artist shilled an example auction up to $1,200.  I might consider bidding $1,200 or $1,300 next time just to get an example.

$25K seems out of range (and I don't know the artist).  If someone was only willing to spend $5K, would they all of a sudden start bidding $25K due to one example? I think they are more likely to tune out and use the $5K budget on other art.  If I had $25K to spend, I would rather buy 5 McFarlane Batman pages instead...

Malvin

Yeah - but it creates buzz and may make 5k pages seem like a great deal and help increase # of sales , even if not page prices. 5k euro is still a big chunk of change for most collectors. If we see this appear on a 2d gallery or CAF page with a regular collector - it might put this conspiracy to rest. 

Edited by Panelfan1

This is a very strange sale for sure. I was interested in the page, liked the art and the book so was researching during the auction what FMV would be. That's why I am curious as to someone who is more familiar with the European art market/Marini's work. It looks like Marini's work does demand dollars(There is no way this went to an American Batman collector, there are just too many better ways to spend that much money on both modern or vintage Batman art.) but that number is just sooooooooooo high.

I could see it sell for 10-15k, which would have still be very strong but plausible. At 26k it is just absurd, as there are hundreds of objectively better ways to spend that money on modern and/or Batman art. Even a drunk bidder would have gained his senses at that level. Also interesting is I think  no live bids were placed on it. The price was reached pre auction. A very strange way to go after a page if you are willing to go that high on it.

22 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I didn't even notice these pages as they are both fairly blah. Crazy prices for sure. Must be Catwoman for some reason or another.

The McFarlane Bats page was well bought I thought. I wanted to pick it up, but am pretty tapped from excessive buying this year. I was expecting $7-8k. Especially compared to those two pages and the Marini page, an absolute steal.