• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warner Bros. Not Developing ‘Superman’ Movies With Henry Cavill As Priority Shifts To ‘Supergirl’
1 1

87 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kagenish said:

all I got to say to them is he was Superman to a lot of people and it's going to be hard for them to find a replacement.

I thought he was just ok. I don't think there will ever be a better one than Reeves. I hope when CGI is perfected, where you can't tell the difference between live actors and computer, they use his likeness as Superman.

Milk was a bad choice...

Cavill is my favorite live-action Superman, and his character is one of the few bright spots in DC Worlds (or whatever they're calling it).

This is almost as dumb as creating another Wonder Woman movie based in the past instead of developing characters like The Flash and Cyborg sooner.

Edit: Did I seriously just read that they're considering casting a black Superman..? Wtf?

Edited by TwoPiece

Cavill was fine as Supes - he had the physique and looks to pull it off. Him kicking azz as the reanimated Supes was the best part of the JL movie. I guess the fact that he spurned them on the Shazam cameo rubbed the WB/DC decision makers a bit raw? 

The shift in focus to Supergirl will be interesting. It looks like WB/AT&T is going to go full out with their female leads (WW, Harley, Supergirl, Batgirl (?) ), which I can understand based on the success of WW. Who they cast in the roles will be key. Gadot was perfect as WW and Robbie did a good job as Harley. 

Reeves will always be Superman, unfortunately those movies are soo terribly dated they are hard to watch.

Cavill was great, Man of Steel is a great movie, unfortunately going forward he was used poorly in poor movies.

Cavill was good in the role.

The writing (and -- for Justice League -- -poor direction) is what killed these films.

At least he got more bites at the apple than Brandon Routh -- same thing. He did well in a poorly written and under-seen part.

Dang it!  I though Cavill was very good in the role and that MOS is very underrated - I was really looking forward to a MOS2 ............. :(

I understand him wanting out as BvS was ok and Justice League was terrible .... but I thought they could right the ship with a good MOS2 - this is disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Dang it!  I though Cavill was very good in the role and that MOS is very underrated - I was really looking forward to a MOS2 ............. :(

I understand him wanting out as BvS was ok and Justice League was terrible .... but I thought they could right the ship with a good MOS2 - this is disappointing.

AFAIK, Cavill doesn't want out. Warner Bros is making the decision to part ways. Why? I have no Frkin idea. Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios wins. After 10 years, I think DC is now dead in the water (to me, at least). They have the best 2 comic properties in Batman and Superman, and they screw it all up by now letting their 2 Justice League actors go.

Edit: And, for the record, I love the Dawn of Justice Director's Cut. I think that Justice League could have been great had Zack Snyder not been fired. Joss Whedon has been on-record as saying that Steppenwolf is "one of the worst comic characters ever". They cut too much back story on the new characters. Blah blah blah. I thought Justice League was still good.

Edited by TwoPiece

3 hours ago, g-man said:

from article on NY Post....

Cavill recently signed on a new Netflix show “The Witcher” as Geralt of Rivia. According to Deadline, Warner Bros. is considering Michael B. Jordan to play Superman.

They should take this with a grain or ocean's worth of salt.  It could easily just be like some Entourage style shooting the 'S'.

Jonny Drama:  Hey Mike, YOU should be the new Superman, you're ripped now.

Jordan:  Haha, sure.  Hey E, tell Ari to make me Superman.

Eric and Ari are meeting with WB about something else later that day:  "Hey, howabout Mike Jordan for Superman, just think about it"

Wb: Sure, we'll think about it. 

Then they proceed to talk about whatever other project for the next 3 hrs and never think about it again.

OR Turtle leaks it even though Ari and Eric never asked WB.

OR a WB intern overheard but who knows if WB is even remotely considering it.

OR Coogler (or anyone on his or Jordan's team) just made it up and put it out there to pump up Creed 2

3 hours ago, g-man said:

from article on NY Post....

Cavill recently signed on a new Netflix show “The Witcher” as Geralt of Rivia. According to Deadline, Warner Bros. is considering Michael B. Jordan to play Superman.

Well why not?  It certainly worked out great when they cast Michael B. as Johnny Storm...

4 hours ago, kimik said:

Cavill was fine as Supes - he had the physique and looks to pull it off. Him kicking azz as the reanimated Supes was the best part of the JL movie. I guess the fact that he spurned them on the Shazam cameo rubbed the WB/DC decision makers a bit raw? 

The shift in focus to Supergirl will be interesting. It looks like WB/AT&T is going to go full out with their female leads (WW, Harley, Supergirl, Batgirl (?) ), which I can understand based on the success of WW. Who they cast in the roles will be key. Gadot was perfect as WW and Robbie did a good job as Harley. 

I keep saying it -- Wonder Woman was so well received because its an awesome movie, not because it had a female character in the lead.  If the braintrust thinks that simply femme-washing their superhero movies will solve all their box office woes without addressing the fundamental fact that every other movie outside of Wonder Woman has been terribly written, they're going to continue manufacturing more bombs than Raytheon.

Basically what this news is they are trying to get far away from BvS/Justice League and Affleck/Cavill.

The DC brand got damaged by those movies and it will take a few years for them to reboot the franchises.

Smart move going with Supergirl, than come back with a new Superman in a few years.

btw I like Man of Steel movie,but the problem is a whole ton of other people didn't.

Warner is smart moving on.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

AFAIK, Cavill doesn't want out. Warner Bros is making the decision to part ways. Why? I have no Frkin idea. Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios wins. After 10 years, I think DC is now dead in the water (to me, at least). They have the best 2 comic properties in Batman and Superman, and they screw it all up by now letting their 2 Justice League actors go.

Edit: And, for the record, I love the Dawn of Justice Director's Cut. I think that Justice League could have been great had Zack Snyder not been fired. Joss Whedon has been on-record as saying that Steppenwolf is "one of the worst comic characters ever". They cut too much back story on the new characters. Blah blah blah. I thought Justice League was still good.

The report a few month ago was that Cavill wanted A lister ( meaning about 20 million per film) money for a new Superman contract, and WB does not think he warrants that kind of money.  It was also reported his agent insist on presenting, and representing him as A lister talent, again rubbing WB the wrong way.  From a demand standpoint and box office track record they are likely correct.  

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The big mistake was they should have went straight to a Man of Steel 2. It was the rushed BvS that killed the franchise.

WB made the massive mistake that they wanted to shortcut to the team movie for the big money, and to prove they were not Marvel and did not need to imitate them.  In fact, they were so determined to do things differently than Marvel, that they chose to basically ignore laying the foundation in fact claiming you did not need that foundation.  Unfortunately, that foundation has lead to the massive success of the MCU.