• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warner Bros. Not Developing ‘Superman’ Movies With Henry Cavill As Priority Shifts To ‘Supergirl’
1 1

87 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Cavill is the the best Superman IMO.  He was awesome in JL and his Superman movies. Almost irreplaceable (Is there anybody else that match Cavil's performance?).

Are we talking about another actor who played Superman? Then it would be Reeve (I grew up with Christopher and actually thought there was a Superman, until '82.)  But I really put Cavill up there, in #2 in the role, not the "team" movies.  Cain and Reeves were winning actors in the role and I thought Routh was good.  Tim Daly in the ANimated Series was also effective.

I wouldn't know who could do a better performance than Cavill lately, but my area actually has a Superman in it.

http://www.newhampshire.com/goffstown-news/goffstowns-man-of-steel-is-the-real-deal-20161021

I wrote this on a gentleman who does a lot of do-gooding in my community two years ago.

-Jerel 

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I kind of liked Cavill's portrayal of Superman better than Reeve.   Maybe it is the costume... dunno exactly... Even imagining Reeve in the current costume and I still give Cavill the nod. 

I think a lot of kids will look at Cavill, like my generation looked at Reeve and the next generation liked Cain. :)

1 minute ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I think a lot of kids will look at Cavill, like my generation looked at Reeve and the next generation liked Cain. :)

I was born in sometime in the mid to late 70's.  My generation also looked at Reeve... Not arguing with you as if my idea is great and yours sucks.  I am just saying that I was an 80's kid exposed to Reeve as Superman yet I still think Cavill is a better Superman. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I was born in sometime in the mid to late 70's.  My generation also looked at Reeve... Not arguing with you as if my idea is great and yours sucks.  I am just saying that I was an 80's kid exposed to Reeve as Superman yet I still think Cavill is a better Superman. 

Nope, I find that interesting. :)

I think in the actual Man of Steel thread, in my original review, I said something like "I actually forgot about Reeve in the role."  That doesn't come a lot either. (thumbsu 

Reeve was certainly a great Superman. Routh had the look but none of the charisma IMO. Cavill has the look, the body, and the charisma. People say he wasn't/isn't a hopeful Superman... Look at him overcoming the World Engine by sheer will power despite being weaker than he's used to. Willing to sacrifice himself to Zod to save Earth. In BvS he tried to do the 'right' things despite the world looking at a flip-side. Even when Luthor had his mother he avoided outright killing Batman to save her life. And then, as mentioned, he was the Superman everyone knows in Justice League. He's my favorite live-action Superman.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Where Christopher Reeve won it was his portrayal of Clark Kent. He made Superman the most human that the mass audience could relate to.

I grew up with Reeves as well, and man, what a presence and innocence he had as Clark.  You are correct in saying no other actor could match his “human” side.  As great as Cavill is, there is something truly believable with Reeves as Clark-  like he’s just another guy.  When it comes to playing Superman however,  there is certain poise and strength that Cavill commands that Reeves did not have.  It of course could be CGI and seeing superman in all of his might! 

16 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

I grew up with Reeves as well, and man, what a presence and innocence he had as Clark.  You are correct in saying no other actor could match his “human” side.  As great as Cavill is, there is something truly believable with Reeves as Clark-  like he’s just another guy.  When it comes to playing Superman however,  there is certain poise and strength that Cavill commands that Reeves did not have.  It of course could be CGI and seeing superman in all of his might! 

Cavill as well as Affleck both seemed like gods in BvS, and I think that is why they lost a lot of interest at the box office with mainstream.

They just were not fun and too powerful and dark for most of mainstream. Not very relatable for a bunch of people.

Christopher Reeve was just more human to relate to in the end.

DC now gets this, and hopefully the next Superman movie will return to the spirit of the Christopher Reeve Superman movie.

:wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

18 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Cavill as well as Affleck both seemed like gods in BvS, and I think that is why they lost a lot of interest at the box office with mainstream.

They just were not fun and too powerful and dark for most of mainstream. Not very relatable for a bunch of people.

Christopher Reeve was just more human to relate to in the end.

DC now gets this, and hopefully the next Superman movie will return to the spirit of the Christopher Reeve Superman movie.

The key to casting both Superman and Batman well has always been to cast Clark and Bruce not the hero side of the equation.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:57 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

no more movie characters can be white men anymore. don't know how long that will last but that seems to be where we're at now. it's all about gender and ethnic diversity. perhaps queen latifah can be the next super-non-gender-normative-person. 

There was a black Superman in 1993, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_(John_Henry_Irons) Maybe they could cast Michael B Jordan as him?

I LOVED Christopher Reeve, but enjoyed Cavill as well. I also loved Christian Bale, but I think I liked Affleck even more.

I don't want all the characters turned into women because I'm a woman. I'd be fine with some extra new characters, but I enjoy the ones we had as they were first written. Nothing wrong with more diversity, but we don't change genders of people in history and I think of my comic book characters as part of history.

I will add that Mehcad Brooks is gorgeous and I loved watching him when he was a football player on another show, but he's some other Jimmy Olsen to me.  I just ignore the Jimmy part and see him as  capable editor/superhero who just happens to have the same name as the other guy;)

Edited by skypinkblu
added sentence

I have no specific beef with Cavill, in fact, I really enjoyed him in Mission Impossible. I'd be curious to see how he'd fare in a Superman movie that wasn't godawful, but that ship may have already sailed.

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I have no specific beef with Cavill, in fact, I really enjoyed him in Mission Impossible. I'd be curious to see how he'd fare in a Superman movie that wasn't godawful, but that ship may have already sailed.

He's already been in a fantastic Superman movie, called Man of Steel,  you might have missed it.

2 hours ago, bane said:

He's already been in a fantastic Superman movie, called Man of Steel,  you might have missed it.

This.

Again, I also love the Dawn of Justice Director's Cut. I think it's a great second act for the Superman trilogy. He was also specifically great in Justice League, despite Justice League being a very middling movie altogether.

I wouldn't say any movie with Cavill's Superman is "godawful". Even the Theatrical Version of BvS wasn't that bad.

2 hours ago, bane said:

I saw Man of Steel. Personally hated it, but different strokes and all. Snyder and Co's conception of the DCU isn't for me. 

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I saw Man of Steel. Personally hated it, but different strokes and all. Snyder and Co's conception of the DCU isn't for me. 

I also thought MoS was OK at best.  For utmost of the movie Siperman felt out of character, but more than that I found it boring.  For me the fight sequences were actually to long and lacked variety.   If I saw one more superhero landing with ripped up pavement or building knocked over I could have screamed.  I know Snyder wanted to show just how destructive a real fight like this could be, but it was too much and became repetative. 

33 minutes ago, drotto said:

I also thought MoS was OK at best.  For utmost of the movie Siperman felt out of character, but more than that I found it boring.  For me the fight sequences were actually to long and lacked variety.   If I saw one more superhero landing with ripped up pavement or building knocked over I could have screamed.  I know Snyder wanted to show just how destructive a real fight like this could be, but it was too much and became repetative. 

He would be out of character being callled Siperman !